HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
How long has 77 been open? More than a decade, certainly. You're gonna need to throw a whole lot more 9s onto that percentage.

Also "some patrons?" Wasn't it a former employee?
It wasnt a former employee. It was “some patrons” who were kicked out.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...faro-1.3744019

And yes 99.99999% of the patrons dont go to that extreme, however there are some minor disturbances which are more common.

Still, to say the safe injection clinic will cause more problems than club 77 patrons ever will isnt something I completely agree with given the severity of what happened at 77. That was the jist of my original comment.

Last edited by king10; Jun 3, 2018 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 4:36 PM
Ham-burgher

I think it's beside the point to debate the likelihood of incidents or problems... to me decisions about the future of this venue should be tied to compatibility with the surrounding area.

On the fringe of downtown, next to a sea of parking, the club has been fine (going all the way back to when it was the Texas Border in the 1990s, a place I frequented in university with my friends; perhaps further into the past too as I can't recall what was there prior). As the area changes with more residential development on the way, it won't be a fit.

I'm not sure the building needs to be demolished, but I think the days for this particular use are growing short.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 4:37 PM
Ham-burgher

Here's a photo of the factory that used to stand on most of this block, courtesy a Spec opinion piece. From the description in the story this angle is the corner of John and Rebecca.

I don't think I've ever seen this before.

Source story:
New downtown park should be called Gurney to honour history -- The Hamilton Spectator (Jul 06, 2018; by Joachim Brouwer)

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 7:53 PM

That is a beautiful building. That's really too bad.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 9:06 PM

Shame it was lost. I love the mansard roof! I'm not really sure what a use for the existing structure could be within the context of the park, but either way, lets get construction started.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:16 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 12:11 PM

So 77 survives for a while potentially? But not Lulu's?

Also that looks awful. I work basically kitty corner from it. Wish they did something more coherent.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 1:10 AM

Just what our downtown needs, a 'park' that is 50%+ cement. Simply shameful.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:56 PM

1. What's happening with Lulu's? I thought they were going to be included in this.
2. What is a "play knoll"?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 3:20 PM

The previous design was much nicer, despite being super boring. There was a lot of potential here, and instead we get a super boring disjointed park without any real utility.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 8:04 PM

I'd like to see some renderings before making any judgements. I've seen some amazing urban parks in other cities that appear to be busy for small space, yet it works wonderfully. Lots of trees is a key in my mind, and water jet/skating rink. So I'm glad to see those elements here.
Lots of seating, benches, seating walls need to be included here too. Hopefully we'll see some retail/dining/cafe type operations in the ground floor of the new condo to the north of here which can spill into the park.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 11:36 PM

Good news today... Forrec is the company designing this park. They're the ones doing our new Pier 8 Waterfront Promenade park as well. They do good work.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 12:07 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
I'd like to see some renderings before making any judgements. I've seen some amazing urban parks in other cities that appear to be busy for small space, yet it works wonderfully. Lots of trees is a key in my mind, and water jet/skating rink. So I'm glad to see those elements here.
Lots of seating, benches, seating walls need to be included here too. Hopefully we'll see some retail/dining/cafe type operations in the ground floor of the new condo to the north of here which can spill into the park.
THIS!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:20 AM
Forever forward.

Lulu's doesn't want or plan to move and definitely does not like the idea of a park here...

Big plans for a central parking lot in Hamilton to be turned into park land

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
Lulu's doesn't want or plan to move and definitely does not like the idea of a park here...

Big plans for a central parking lot in Hamilton to be turned into park land

LOL...that is SO Hamilton. Everyone hates change here. They'd rather a disgusting parking lot than a new park connected to a new condo. In proper cities with forward thinking business owners these guys would be looking at re-aligning their front door to face east and talk to the city about bringing a patio/plaza seating area right to the King William sidewalk between their building and the club. Their business can spill into the park and people can sit outside while eating. It's stunning how few people in this city have an ounce of vision.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 1:40 PM

A few images to show the kind of vibe I hope to see in this park based on the overhead image we've seen.

Rebecca St frontage....

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Agreed. There are lots of different kinds of parks and in a small space like this, it should be busy. It's not going to be the kind of place you can play soccer or go on a nature walk in.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:22 PM

The worst part about this plan is that 77 is still there.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anactualalien View Post
The worst part about this plan is that 77 is still there.
That's probably my biggest issue with it.

I think urban parks are great and we're definitely lacking a proper one in the core.

The concerns are what you mentioned about the nightclub. Are people visiting the club going to loiter there before or after they go to the club? That could potentially go south on what the city intends to do with the park.

You have to wonder how much longer Club 77 will even stay open at this point.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
That's probably my biggest issue with it.

I think urban parks are great and we're definitely lacking a proper one in the core.

The concerns are what you mentioned about the nightclub. Are people visiting the club going to loiter there before or after they go to the club? That could potentially go south on what the city intends to do with the park.

You have to wonder how much longer Club 77 will even stay open at this point.
As someone who regulars Club77 for events and with friends, I hope they are able to find a new space as large and as usable as that location. I do hope it doesn't remain open for long in that location for exactly these concerns. But I think people are too quick to want to force a shut down on an otherwise successful business and one that is lacking anywhere outside Toronto.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues