HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
The iphone cord store across from Starbucks in Winnipeg Square has closed. I guess whatever business they were doing in the back of the store dried up, 'cause they weren't selling anything in the front!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Yeah I'm not surprised that place closed. If you were deliberately designing a store to fail, I'm not sure what you would've done differently.
I walk past that place every single day pretty much, and just now learned what it was...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:06 PM
What could go wrong?

Planet Fitness will be replacing the Winners location on Ellice next to Jysk. Winners is of course moving to the old Target building in Plaza at Polo.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 10:18 PM

Another Rumor

A friend of mine has a friend working at the soon to be closed Safeway at Jefferson and McPhillips. She was told that it will be divided in half with one side being FreshCo and the other being ? I read about Sobey's (Empire) acquiring Farm Boy today. Perhaps the other half will be Farm Boy.

Anyone know when the Kate Spade Outlet will open?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
A friend of mine has a friend working at the soon to be closed Safeway at Jefferson and McPhillips. She was told that it will be divided in half with one side being FreshCo and the other being ? I read about Sobey's (Empire) acquiring Farm Boy today. Perhaps the other half will be Farm Boy.

Anyone know when the Kate Spade Outlet will open?
That would make a really small grocery store. Also don’t see anything about Farm Boy expanding out of Ontario. Perhaps she misunderstood. Perhaps they are closing off half as they are keeping the pharmacy open.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 1:39 AM

The new HomeSense and Winners are now open at the former Polo Park Target location.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4486020/n...o-park-target/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:46 PM

How did I miss that. I know they were doing upgrades to the building. Didn't realize they had tenants.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 3:49 AM

New empty retail unit on downtown Portage Ave. in the Power Bldg. as Hoffman's Optical has quietly shuttered

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 3:12 AM

What Happen To Jersey City At Polo Park

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
What Happen To Jersey City At Polo Park
Couldn't survive selling 1 jersey a day. Store was a dump, and being right beside Sport Chek wasn't doing them any favours. I know someone who used to work there and he always laughed that he didn't understand how they stayed in business the sales were so low, many days with nothing. Said the busiest time outside of holiday shopping was Banjo Bowl – Riders fans getting extra last-minute gear.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 3:32 PM

^ I'm surprised sales were that low. I guess jerseys are the kind of thing that it's probably easier to shop and buy online these days. If you want some random team like the Milwaukee Bucks, might as well just order from a website vs. rolling the dice on the chances that Jersey City might have it. And the biggest selling teams (Jets, Bombers, Jays, etc.) you can find just about anywhere, no special trip to Jersey City necessary.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 4:05 PM

On the south side of Portage Avenue, between Sharp Blvd. and Duffield St. in St. James, there is a piece of land that to my knowledge has sat vacant since at least the early 70s. It is located between the Thunderbird Apartments and the smaller Capri Block.

It is strange that there has never been any construction on site, especially considering what is a relatively prime location. Does anyone know anything about this land? Also, with a modern design combined with a hint of art deco decoration, I assume the Thunderbird was built in the very late 40s or early 50s, anyone know the year of construction?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
On the south side of Portage Avenue, between Sharp Blvd. and Duffield St. in St. James, there is a piece of land that to my knowledge has sat vacant since at least the early 70s. It is located between the Thunderbird Apartments and the smaller Capri Block.

It is strange that there has never been any construction on site, especially considering what is a relatively prime location. Does anyone know anything about this land? Also, with a modern design combined with a hint of art deco decoration, I assume the Thunderbird was built in the very late 40s or early 50s, anyone know the year of construction?
Address of the vacant land is 2140 Portage Ave. I found a real estate listing from a few years back.

It looks like it's owned by the same owners at 2130 Portage, the Capri apartment block right next door.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I wonder if it's in the flight path.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I wonder if it's in the flight path.
It's definitely close. Used to live at 2350 Portage and the planes were pretty much right over.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 3:27 AM

it is odd that it hasn't even been developed for commercial/retail uses at least.. kinda reminds me of the lot on robson and broughton in Vancouver that's owned by an out of country owner that's just sitting on it for some reason.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 11:54 PM

New Location Ground Breaking Ceremony for Porsche Centre Winnipeg at Seasons.

New Location! 475 Sterling Lyon Parkway.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
New Location Ground Breaking Ceremony for Porsche Centre Winnipeg at Seasons.

New Location! 475 Sterling Lyon Parkway.
So What Gonna Happen To Old Porsche Location In Pembina

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:11 AM

Outlet Collection site now says Kate Spade opening in "November":

https://www.outletcollectionwinnipeg.../kate-spade-1/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:15 AM

Not surprised at all that Porsche is going there, only a matter of time. Can’t be so far from all your close competition. Could see them turning it into used or using it as a secondary showroom as VW slowly expands its lineup – the actual VW there is very small.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:34 PM
What could go wrong?

The VW Dealership will take over the old Porsche building.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan