HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 10:19 PM
Closed account

I saw the scene this afternoon. The van is up on the northern sidewalk of Main. The body is back around the crosswalk on the east side of James. 14 fatalities this year in car deaths.
If that were gun-murders some of you would be screaming like idiots and piling on the fearmongering at an alarming rate.
It's time to stop the vehicular homicide in this city.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 11:30 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Hamilton wake up and eliminate the synced one ways through the core. I hope the city gets sued on the this big time. I place blame on them their interests should be in protecting the public. Clearly not the case here. This is negligent policy at its finest.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 2:21 AM

We have counsellors from other wards telling us its too inconvenient for their constituents to "impose" traffic calming measures. 14 deaths seems to be an acceptable loss to many. And I recall someone complaining about a homeless person banging on a window a while back. Wow.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 2:27 AM
Closed account

I've been saying it for years.
Idiots like Whitebread share the blame in those 14 deaths (more surely to come by years end). He cares about shaving 2 minutes off his drive to work over the life of another human being. Disgusting. Sadly, most of council is the same.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I saw the scene this afternoon. The van is up on the northern sidewalk of Main. The body is back around the crosswalk on the east side of James. 14 fatalities this year in car deaths.
If that were gun-murders some of you would be screaming like idiots and piling on the fearmongering at an alarming rate.
It's time to stop the vehicular homicide in this city.
No death rate is acceptable, but 14 deaths in Hamilton this year is well below the 2001 average Canadian traffic fatality rate (from http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/stats.../2004/menu.htm):

Quote:
There were 2,778 deaths due to motor vehicle traffic collisions in the year 2001 - a rate of 8.9 deaths per 100,000 population.
Hamilton is trending toward a traffic fatality rate of about 3 per 100,000 this year. What do you have to say in reply?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 3:03 AM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Your stats are useless what percentage of this is pedestrian fatalities? Time to give your head a shake.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMRetrofit View Post
Your stats are useless what percentage of this is pedestrian fatalities? Time to give your head a shake.
What?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 1:19 PM

I think he's asking how many "Traffic Fatalities" where Car vs Pedestrian and how many were Car vs Car or single vehicle deaths.

I think everyone posting in the thread needs to get on the same page fast or this will be yet another pointless argument.

Someone please find the number of yearly fatalities in Hamilton due to Car vs Pedestrian. And compare it to the national average. The stats that BCTed just posted seem to include all motor vehicle collisions. Which doesn't apply in this case because we should all be talking about pedestrian fatalities.

Also, I don't know what this number of 14 traffic deaths in Hamilton this year means. Are they also including Car vs Car and highway deaths? Or is this stat saying "14 people were walking in the streets in hamilton and they were hit by cars and killed, this year"

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 1:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

14 is I guess you could say road kills. In the beginning of the year there were a few seniors that got killed well crossing the street. One well on a wheelchair near Eastgate I believe. Another one at Aberdeen, a senior crossing the street, that fatality I remember hearing broke the record over 5 year. So it's likely this is a new record.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 1:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
I think he's asking how many "Traffic Fatalities" where Car vs Pedestrian and how many were Car vs Car or single vehicle deaths.

I think everyone posting in the thread needs to get on the same page fast or this will be yet another pointless argument.

Someone please find the number of yearly fatalities in Hamilton due to Car vs Pedestrian. And compare it to the national average. The stats that BCTed just posted seem to include all motor vehicle collisions. Which doesn't apply in this case because we should all be talking about pedestrian fatalities.

Also, I don't know what this number of 14 traffic deaths in Hamilton this year means. Are they also including Car vs Car and highway deaths? Or is this stat saying "14 people were walking in the streets in hamilton and they were hit by cars and killed, this year"
with all due respect, I could care less what the national average is.
People being killed by walking down the street or legally riding their bike is UNACCEPTABLE. If another city is worse than us, too bad for them. I'm not interested in always trying to find someone worse to compare to.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
with all due respect, I could care less what the national average is.
People being killed by walking down the street or legally riding their bike is UNACCEPTABLE. If another city is worse than us, too bad for them. I'm not interested in always trying to find someone worse to compare to.
People die from all sorts of things every day. Why would this particular statistic be irrelevant?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 1:30 PM
Raising the Hammer

Even if it was entirely the pedestrian's fault - and in the absence of a full report on what happened, it certainly sounds that way - the simple fact is that there is a very clear geometric ratio between vehicle speed and pedestrian mortality.

Not only does a fast-moving vehicle strike the pedestrian with a lot more energy; but also a vehicle moving twice as fast takes four times the distance to stop.

If the cars are moving slowly enough, it doesn't matter how carelessly the pedestrians step out into traffic: they're less likely to be hit, and they're far less likely to be killed.

I suppose there's a case to be made that pedestrians who step carelessly onto the street 'deserve' whatever they get, but it seems to me that any public safety policy worth its salt must concern itself not with righteous moralizing but rather with results.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 1:30 PM

Here we go.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp243...e5.htm#Table10

For Ontario 2001. Average 1.0 pedestrian fatalities per 100 000 population.

So for Hamilton a City of between 300 000 and 500 000 people, depending who you ask, we should expect 3 -5 pedestrian fatalities per year on our streets.

How many have we had? I'll find that out soon.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 1:39 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
How many [pedestrian fatalities] have we had? I'll find that out soon.
14 so far this year.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 1:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yep, we are 2 to 4 times above the national average.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 1:51 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Yep, we are 2 to 4 times above the national average.
hmmm, I wonder why......

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_mcgreal View Post
14 so far this year.
are you sure it's 14 pedestrian fatalities?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 1:56 PM
Closed account

does that include bikes?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 2:35 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
are you sure it's 14 pedestrian fatalities?
From today's Spectator:

Quote:
It was the city's 14th traffic fatality of the year.
On second thought, that may include fatalities of motor vehicle occupants.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 3:25 PM

I think 14 must include drivers too. but we can count these up ourselves and I think this is the 8th pedestrian fatality by my recollection - maybe 9th. Still above the average (not to mention anything above zero should be considered unacceptable), and considering the number of person-hours spent driving rather than walking in this city, it is interesting to notice that over half of the street deaths are pedestrians...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure