HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 7:17 PM
Hammer'd

Is that a rhetorical question?

Like, "When will the Royal Connaught be a hotel again"?
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 7:22 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'm a little verklempt, guess you don't watch much of SNL, well back when it was like butter! in early to mid 90s.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 7:50 PM
Closed account

now I can't get that stupid tune out of my head!! lol

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 7:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

Just tilt your head and feel the beat lol

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 8:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
now I can't get that stupid tune out of my head!! lol
Crap. Me neither. Oh well, at least it pushed Rick Astley out of my head.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 8:05 PM
Closed account

those guys were something else. old SNL has gone down the tubes IMO.
I was fed up once they got rid of Norm MacDonald on Weekend Update. He was amazing. still one of the funniest guys ever.

"Kenny G has a new Christmas album out this year. Happy birthday Jesus.
I hope you like crap".

lol....he was something else.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
Also, Gown and Gavel is open now.
I went to G&G sometime last week (civic holiday monday i think) .. looked nice, but the service was pretty bad. and it's not really my style of place. I dig Ceilidh House, Augusta street and Chester's beers of the world.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 3:56 PM

Even though I'll probably go to Hess Village once in the next year (not into the "What is Love/Baby don't hurt me" lifestyle), Hess Village is THE place for visitors to go for nightlife in Hamilton. G&G update helps a lot to "advertise" younger people to come visit Hamilton, even if it is just to party at night.. who knows maybe they'll stumble through the farmer's market the next morning LOL!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 4:03 PM

for the record, i have alot of friends in toronto who love to come to mardi gras at hess. they were very dissappointed this year.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 5:43 PM

Did they stay at home because it wasn't at hess village? If so they certainly missed out.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 6:07 PM
Closed account

he's talking about a different event. Hess usually has their own mardi gras event each summer.
nothing in the village this year. no jazz, no mardigras etc....

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 9:05 PM

yah, i'm talking about the hess festival of sin and iniquity that draws a gigantic crowd from all over the 905 and 416. i can't think of many events that draw such a big group of 18-27 year olds (pulling that demo out of thin air) to hamilton.

i heard it was shut down due to complaints from area residents.. which i completely understand because its an extremely wild party. i just think its a shame to lose an event that actually makes hamilton look like a cool destination for at least 1 night a year. i think it helped our image problem a bit..

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 2:19 AM
On Guard For Thee

All things that improve Hamilton's image are net positive.

Sadly, our "image problem" is about 3/4 self-inflicted.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 2:57 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroblaster View Post
yah, i'm talking about the hess festival of sin and iniquity that draws a gigantic crowd from all over the 905 and 416. i can't think of many events that draw such a big group of 18-27 year olds (pulling that demo out of thin air) to hamilton.

i heard it was shut down due to complaints from area residents.. which i completely understand because its an extremely wild party. i just think its a shame to lose an event that actually makes hamilton look like a cool destination for at least 1 night a year. i think it helped our image problem a bit..

same with the jazz festival. I met people who've been to jazz festivals all over the world and absolutely loved the Hess jazz fest.
I'm not the mardi gras type, but you're right...it helps our image among the coveted and important young demographic. you can be sure none of them are coming to town for Port Days. We listen to complainers and whiners too much in this town.
i wish they would all whine and complain about the roaring truck traffic blasting through their downtown 365 days a year instead of the 3 nights a year when actual human beings can be found on the streets having a good time.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 3:02 AM

Its fun to make broad sweeping statements based on 1 event, but I remember that thing at Hess Village from last year as I was in the area at the time.

I was inside a house with all the windows closed just over 1 km away (measured it on google maps walking option) - We could hear deep thumping bass until very late. Not sure how an event like this is good for the city's image. Had it been done during the day, I am sure they would have received barely any complaints.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 3:11 AM
Closed account

I have friends who live 1km from Gage Park. You can hear every word being sung by the lead singer of the mainstage evening bands sitting in their backyard.
No complaints. In fact, we always walk over to enjoy the festival. It's one weekend a year. Well worth it when you look at the impacts on the city.
I live in Strathcona, more than 1km from Bayfront Park. Every year I can hear the thumping music/singing clear as a bell from the MardiGras Carnival until 11pm from my bed. I wouldn't dare complain. I know a great event is happening and people are in my city enjoying themselves. If I heard the thumping bass 250 days a year that would be a different story.
People need to chill out and realize they are living in a city. Go to Perth or Kirkland Lake if you want dead quiet.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 3:16 AM
Closed account

Yes. Best be walking a mile in the other guy's shoes before labeling him a whiner.

And I don't know why we have to bend over for the 'coveted' younger demographic. Any two-bit town can do that. As I mentioned upthread, the mark of a sophisticated city is when people of all ages and circumstances want to get out and mix and mingle. We should be going for the coveted demographic that likes to go out and spend money (and not barf on people's property), regardless of their age.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 3:31 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Yes. Best be walking a mile in the other guy's shoes before labeling him a whiner.

And I don't know why we have to bend over for the 'coveted' younger demographic. Any two-bit town can do that. As I mentioned upthread, the mark of a sophisticated city is when people of all ages and circumstances want to get out and mix and mingle. We should be going for the coveted demographic that likes to go out and spend money (and not barf on people's property), regardless of their age.
nobody is suggesting we bend over backwards. The jazz fest drew a wide demographic range.
Mardi Gras drew the younger crowd for sure. Is one event a year considered 'bending over backwards'??
We should be targeting EVERY demographic. Not letting the whiners keep everything shut down past 7pm. I love living downtown. We get noisy people wandering by whenever Copps has a big concert or during MardiGras Carnival. Labour Day takes place right here and closes down our street with thousands of people here. Several waterfront events can be clearly heard here and the late night fireworks shake the house. Music events (Scottish type stuff) across the street at Dundurn bring music, lots of people and cars etc.....
We love all of it. It's called living in a city and living in society. Again, if I wanted death, I'd move to Elliot Lake. Literally.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 5:11 AM

I attended 3 of the events you mentioned and thought they were great. But I still think that if an event is heard for a 1km radius at night, it should incorporate elements that appeal to broader demographics.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 12:26 PM
Closed account

so every festival needs to have a closing act band that plays scottish bagpipes-techno-hippie-afrofunk-pop-emo??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation