HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 4:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrownedWorld View Post
I was talking about visiting the sites of Towers 3 and 2, tenants, the Temporary Path Station entrance and what future holds for that area between Towers 1 and 2.

As I suspected, nothing to do with this tower or this thread at all. Luckily though, there is a thread dedicated to wild wishes and theories of any and every kind concerning the redevelopment, and not worry about being off topic. In the future, everyone should use it.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=166333

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 9:22 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/12/...pping-complex/

Westfield near to completing lineup for WTC shopping complex
Retail complex slated to open in second half of 2015

Claire Moses
December 09, 2014

Quote:
Get ready to shop: The lineup of stores at the World Trade Center’s retail space is almost complete, according to its landlord.

Westfield Group, which bought the space for $1.4 billion, has signed tenants that include high-end brands Breitling, Kate Spade and Zadig & Voltaire, as reported by The Real Deal.

The 350,000-square-feet Westfield World Trade Center will likely open in the second half of 2015, according to Bloomberg News.

The stores are located around the massive Santiago Calatrava designed transportation hub. Other shops will do business on the first few levels of 3 World Trade Center and 4 World Trade Center.

A number of retailers have signed on to open stores in the complex, including Camper and Stuart Weitzman, watch boutique Swatch and beauty brands Kiehl’s, Aesop and L’Occitane. For those not in the mood for a makeover, food establishments La Colombe coffee, Beer Table, Minamoto Kitchoan and Jones the Grocer are also opening up shop.

Here's that earlier piece with diagrams of the concourse...

http://tribecacitizen.com/2014/06/10...e-center-mall/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 10:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoanofarc View Post
Same reason the ESB getting dwarfed one day won't take away its special place
Don't speak for me.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perklol View Post
Don't speak for me.
Did I say... these were your words... coming out of my fingers? -_-

Is this guy really suspended? I hope so.

Corey Best

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/12/...pping-complex/

Westfield near to completing lineup for WTC shopping complex
Retail complex slated to open in second half of 2015

Claire Moses
December 09, 2014

Here's that earlier piece with diagrams of the concourse...

http://tribecacitizen.com/2014/06/10...e-center-mall/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 2:42 AM

wow thats insane list of stores set to open....they're really changing downtown manhattan into being more like midtown

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 9:42 PM
New Yorker for life

http://commercialobserver.com/2014/1...bout-downtown/

Larry Silverstein Feels ‘Pretty Damn Good’ About Downtown

BY TOBIAS SALINGER
12/17/14

Quote:
Few people can sit in their office, crane their head slightly, and point out the window to the nearby skyscrapers they own. Larry Silverstein can.

The 83-year-old chairman of Silverstein Properties and master leaseholder and developer of the World Trade Center site invited Commercial Observer into his office on the 38th floor of 7 World Trade Center, motioning both in the direction of the existing and rising towers on the Trade Center site and the almost-topped out condo and Four Seasons hotel by Robert A.M. Stern at 30 Park Place. “It’s exciting as hell,” Mr. Silverstein said with his signature enthusiasm.

Commercial Observer: Can you summarize the year’s progress at the Trade Center?

Mr. Silverstein: There were amazing accomplishments in 2014. Probably the most notable from my standpoint is the fact that we were striving to arrange the construction loan financing for Tower 3. It was a massive effort. We had employed the combination of Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase to do a bond issue and to try to accomplish the financing for us. And it was tough, tough, tough, tough—impossible, impossible, impossible. Until, suddenly, the market opened up. They let us know that they thought the timing was now becoming perfect to accomplish this and that they would like to go to market as quickly as possible.

So we went out for the financing and by golly, they oversold it totally. We raised $1.6 billion of triple tax-exempt bonds. To people who can use triple tax-exempt money—not everybody can—it’s a glorious opportunity. So the public that buys this sort of thing came in and bought $1.6 billion fast, very fast. So this is a construction loan followed by permanent financing for a 30-year term and the all-in interest rate was 5.3 percent—which is remarkable, absolutely incredible. Truth to the matter is, we now have $1.6 billion in the bank with which to build the building. If you look out the window you can see a lot of people working over there building it.

What do you think were some of the highlight leases at the Trade Center this year?

We’ve got some hugely important leases in Tower 4. MediaMath is one. Morningstar’s another. IEX [Group]. There are now a whole series of high-tech companies who are now looking at the space in these buildings as being ideal for their purposes. Of course, one begets another, begets another. And so, earlier in the year, we signed a lease for half a million square feet in Tower 3 with GroupM. They’re a major advertising-type firm. They are as high-tech a company in the advertising branding field as you could look for.

And they decided they wanted to be right opposite another high-tech company and branding company. Who’s that? Condé Nast, who signed for over 1.2 million feet in Tower 1. They decided they want to be right across the street. So you got high-tech coming to high-tech coming to high-tech. These are the so-called “cool” tenants—whatever “cool” is defined to be. And they want to be next to each other, across the street from each other, on top, below, around. High-tech wants to be near high-tech.

[They’re] all young people; young, smart, very competent people. Very knowledgeable. And typical of the people who live in this part of the city. This neighborhood down here blossomed, so you’ve got 60,000 people living down here now, which you didn’t have before—and they just keep coming in. A lot of these people are young, high-tech people who want to be in the middle of all this activity and be surrounded by all the stuff that’s going on. It’s happening. And it certainly makes us feel pretty damn good, I’ll tell you that.

Did you read The New York Times Architecture critic Michael Kimmelman’s recent column on 1 WTC?

I did.

It was fairly critical.

He tends to be critical, I don’t know why. I will tell you that I like the building, and there’s no way I could not like it, because we designed it. We chose Skidmore [Owings & Merrill] and we worked together to get the building designed. We negotiated the construction contracts. We negotiated the deal with Tishman Construction [Corporation]. We negotiated everything and put the whole thing to bed, and then handed it to the Port Authority as part of our transaction. And so, why Kimmelman? I don’t agree with all of his positions, but I like the building, I think it’s a beauty. And I think it shows beautifully.

Are you pleased with how the Durst Organization has handled the leasing and development after buying a $100 million joint stake?

I think they’re doing a commendable job for the Port [Authority]. The Port needed professional real estate operators and the Dursts brought that. Of course you look to Condé Nast, and you realize it’s a major step in the right direction.

Do you see any barriers toward completing the whole complex, including the buildings you’re developing and all the others slated for the site?

Well we’ve got one more building to go after [Tower] 3 and that’s Tower 2. The thing I would suggest to you is: stay tuned as to what might happen in connection with Tower 2. I think 2015 will be an interesting year in the life of Tower 2.

I also think that 2015 will be a very interesting year in terms of completion of the PATH Terminal. That’s supposed to finish toward the end of next year. It will be a magnificent building when it’s done. Costly, yes. Complex, yes. Difficult building to complete, yes. But spectacular—unbelievably so. I think it’ll be a gem in this city’s arsenal of gems. We’ll just be thrilled to have it be part of this.

You are the one most identified with this site, despite the involvement of many other stakeholders. Does the press give you a fair shake?

I don’t think about it anymore. I used to think about that years ago, but, after awhile, it sort of left me. It didn’t become important anymore.

How do you define your relationship to the Port Authority at this site?

They are our landowners. And we pay them a ground rent every year [Silverstein Properties has paid $3 billion to the Port Authority since 2001 and forwards around $100 million per year in rent for the 99-year ground lease of the site, a Silverstein spokesman said]. We also have gotten to the point where we work very well and closely together. There were many strains in the earlier years. Those issues are behind us, fully. I think that the collaboration is strong, solid. And I think what we’re both really, highly focused on is doing our damnedest to make this the best possible place we can. And that’s with respect to our buildings, their buildings, whatever it is, to do the best we can by this site.

We’ve been at this for so many years. So, for us, it’s been a particularly long haul, an important haul. I told Gov. [George] Pataki a number of years back that I’d give the rest of my working life to get the damn thing finished. I never knew it was going to take this long, but here we are, still working on it.

What elected officials do you think are doing a good job? How do you decide which ones you support?

Today you’ve got Gov. [Andrew] Cuomo working as the governor of the state of New York, Gov. Chris Christie in New Jersey. They certainly are interested in seeing this completed well, solidly, as quickly as possible, certainly—to the extent that it’s public money—within budget. They’re not concerned about [our money]. We watch our budget very closely because it’s our money and, unfortunately, public money is not focused to the same extent as private money … But we certainly have an interest in our public officials and our public leadership in doing the best they possibly can with what’s going on down here. And so do I support them? Sure. I think they’re commendable. All I say is, “God bless them, they’ve got lots to do.”

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 11:06 PM
DENNAB

Well that's good, plus the model he's standing next to shows the original 1150 foot version, I'm going to go ahead and guess it's just outdated and not get my hopes up.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 4:45 PM

Do you see any barriers toward completing the whole complex, including the buildings you’re developing and all the others slated for the site?

Well we’ve got one more building to go after [Tower] 3 and that’s Tower 2. The thing I would suggest to you is: stay tuned as to what might happen in connection with Tower 2. I think 2015 will be an interesting year in the life of Tower 2.

This is the one Q & A of the article that caught my attention...

2015 the year of 2 WTC! Can't wait to see this one going up already.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 6:36 PM

I'm not turning this into a Tower 2 conversation but, by "interesting", I wonder if Silverstein might be considering making Tower 2 taller than Tower 1 just so that other projects like 125 Greenwich St. don't overshadow the WTC complex. Liberskind's original vision was for a "stairway to heaven" motif where each tower rises higher to a peak. Tower 3 and 4 and 1 can no longer be modified. I think tower 2 would look amazing if it was 2000 feet tall, maybe 2020 to symbolize the completion of the World trade center complex. Then, tower 3 and 4 could slope downward toward the south and tower 1 could slope down to the west. tower 1 would still be a symbolic representation of the original size of the twins while tower 2 would rise into the future.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 7:00 PM

Extremely doubtful we will see a height increase in 3 or 2. Unless they left all the supporting structure, core, electrical capability and the like in 3 during the redesign, at this point its almost impossible to add that weight and stress if the rest of the structure that has been built has been reduced in carrying capacity to save money. Same with 2. Foundation and supporting structure is done. They can shave the top, but within practical limits it pretty much impossible to add mass to the top.

However, I'm thrilled that 3 is going to be done and it looks like critical mass is going to move 2 forward.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 9:14 PM
weidncol

Silverstein is saying expect an anchor tenant signing onto 2 WTC by next year. Activity at the site has been very well lately.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 10:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Well that's good, plus the model he's standing next to shows the original 1150 foot version, I'm going to go ahead and guess it's just outdated and not get my hopes up.
That would be best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Silverstein is saying expect an anchor tenant signing onto 2 WTC by next year. Activity at the site has been very well lately.
Now that this tower will rise to completion, Silverstein's final piece of the WTC redevelopment is tower 2, and the push for getting that tower built will come more into focus. It's not entirely out of the question that tower 2 could get a larger anchor tenant than tower 3, or get more space leased before tower 3 does.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 12:06 AM
weidncol

Yes, Tower 2 is about 90% of his focus right now since, as you said, Tower 3 is finally going up for good now.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 3:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Yes, Tower 2 is about 90% of his focus right now since, as you said, Tower 3 is finally going up for good now.
And things can change in an instant. I remember earlier when we thought we had a tenant for that tower (though it didn't turn out to be the case), it appeared to come out of nowhere.

Quote:
It could happen.

In the meantime, tower 3 will continue to draw tenants, even more so now that it is a certainty to rise.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 2:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:51 AM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2014/12/29/heres-t...-ball-in-2015/

By Steve Cuozzo
December 29, 2014

Quote:
Things that are supposed to happen in 2015 which we seriously hope do happen:

 World Trade Center.

Recently, Larry Silverstein hinted he might be close to an anchor-tenant deal to get 2 World Trade Center out of the ground. But we’re keeping our eyes on possible new leases at 3 and 4 WTC as well.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Hopefully well have good news by June.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 8:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 5:40 AM

Vertical progress! Nice!

As a pit of an aside, I've read before that the horrid tower behind 3WTC (I forget the name at the moment) is getting a bit of a face lift. Is there any truth to this?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive