HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 2:31 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

The IOC has been in Salt Lake City this week putting the finishing touches on their confirmation for hosting the Winter Games. They were here when the Coyotes were told that they’re relocating on Friday. The Utah state government has committed to back this new area which is basically going to be integral for our 2034 Winter Games.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 8:11 PM

I wonder which gets built first or built to completion. A new hockey arena or Astra?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
I wonder which gets built first or built to completion. A new hockey arena or Astra?
I have no idea what they gonna do with it. I don’t think they will ever build new arena. But not in Salt Lake City or anywhere else.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 4:55 AM

Idk about this story tbh it’s a leak about what players have been told but it comes off as half baked nonsense like how many other announcements ?

I’ll believe it when I see it. Trading the Phoenix market for one half the size seems like a foolish choice

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Idk about this story tbh it’s a leak about what players have been told but it comes off as half baked nonsense like how many other announcements ?

I’ll believe it when I see it. Trading the Phoenix market for one half the size seems like a foolish choice
The team sale is well in-progress, although not signed yet. Very little to no actual analysis on SLC market viability has been done. The state of Utah has passed legislation to allow the SLC council to give an NHL team $500M for an arena, this could come in the form of a city-wide sales tax hike, if the city council passes it. The league was drooling at 1/2 billion of free public tax money, so they convinced Meruelo to sell for about 3x what he paid for the team 5-years ago.

There are questions about the media market size, it would be the smallest one competing for NHL and NBA fans disposable income at the exact same time of the year. There are no answers to when/how/if an NHL arena will actually get built. For now the Yotes team, probably under a new name, will play next year in an NBA designed arena with probably a capacity of 10K unobstructed view seats.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:51 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
There are questions about the media market size, it would be the smallest one competing for NHL and NBA fans disposable income at the exact same time of the year. There are no answers to when/how/if an NHL arena will actually get built. For now the Yotes team, probably under a new name, will play next year in an NBA designed arena with probably a capacity of 10K unobstructed view seats.
Nonsense. The SLC market is nearly the exact size of the Phoenix market when they came from Winnipeg. Similar economic demographics, etc. and the Coyotes will only have to compete with the Jazz. When they came to Phoenix they had to compete with the Suns, the Cardinals, and the soon to be Diamondbacks.

Oh, and they played in an amazing for basketball but shitty for hockey obstructed view arena for how many seasons? Like 7, 8?

If SLC gets the 2034 winter games, the Delta Center would be 42 years old by then. Kinda outlived its usefulness in the life of most arenas.

It’s a bummer that Phoenix lost its team, and it is a better market than SLC in comparison, but to say that somehow SLC is somehow not worthy is ridiculous.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

They do support their Jazz. Baseball would be tough to support in a small market like that when you want to have 30,000 fans show up regularly but they support 18000 for basketball just fine. And I imagine that hockey will be less than 15000 if not less because I think their arena is a lot like Footprint is for hockey, they are going to have obstructed views too. I just have no idea why Glendale would just let them go knowing it would be years before a new arena would get built. Now they have an empty arena 340+ days a year. And the city has no hockey team now, lose, lose. It’s always a regrettable decision to ever lose a major league franchise. As a basketball fan, I don’t live in Seattle but still wish they never lost the Sonics!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Nonsense. The SLC market is nearly the exact size of the Phoenix market when they came from Winnipeg. Similar economic demographics, etc. and the Coyotes will only have to compete with the Jazz. When they came to Phoenix they had to compete with the Suns, the Cardinals, and the soon to be Diamondbacks.

Oh, and they played in an amazing for basketball but shitty for hockey obstructed view arena for how many seasons? Like 7, 8?

If SLC gets the 2034 winter games, the Delta Center would be 42 years old by then. Kinda outlived its usefulness in the life of most arenas.

It’s a bummer that Phoenix lost its team, and it is a better market than SLC in comparison, but to say that somehow SLC is somehow not worthy is ridiculous.
Agree on it being a bummer about PHX and I hope that the NHL makes it back, with nearly 8 million people in the state, almost all who live within 2-hours drive of Phoenix. Arizona has been a great market and hockey has thrived here in the last 6 years.

Not sure why you think questioning the financial viability of a market that will for fact be the smallest with NHL and NBA teams is nonsense. There are multiple articles by sports economists questioning this, including some in Utah that are worried about the impacts it could have for what has been amazing support of the Jazz. Pro sport success is dependent on butts in seats, tv revenue and corporate sponsorship. They will indeed compete with not only the Utah Jazz but also 2 major universities in the area, with a lot of NIL funding needs, plus the MLS team. They will compete most directly with the Jazz for butts in seats but NCAA football overlaps and the Utes have had a great following for years.

Phoenix in 1996 may not have been large enough to have all 4 major pro sports teams but at the time PHX was the 16th largest metro in the US at 2.7 million people, plus another 700,000 in Tucson which would have put it around 12-13th largest if you consider both, (about 90 mins from PHX). Today the SLC metro is 47th largest, if you make it CSA covering basically the full Wasatch front, it comes in around 23. That's not really the same stature and certainly the 1996 metro Phoenix size would have no business competing for additional teams in today's market competition.

Lets call this what it is, the NHL is going to SLC because the state has offered up a TON of public money at the right time when Tempe residents said not to public subsidies (which is the trend in many places, just as the Chiefs and Royals). A similar vote probably fails in Utah as well but so far they haven't needed to do that. Of course the city council hasn't actually raised the taxes yet and the $500M it will supposedly raise likely isn't enough to cover the expenses Mr. Smith will ask the public to share with him for the $3B entertainment complex he envisions. There's also a competing group owned by the Larry H. Miller company, former Jazz owner, who is also expects to receive a lot of public money to pay for a different $2-$3B sports/entertainment complex near downtown SLC.

Guess we'll see how that plays out. Feels to me that you're talking about building two "LA Live like" entertainment complexes, in a city of around 200K people... The NHL was never seeking out SLC, the owner just forced his way in and and seemingly has enough sway in the state to drive how taxes are spent... interesting to say the least.

Last edited by locolife; Apr 16, 2024 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 6:36 PM

It's going to be a sad day when the Coyotes leave. Phoenix will no longer be in the elite cities that have all four of the major sports. Let's just hope that we can get a new franchise sooner then later. By the way how's that land hifill cleanup coming along Tempe?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
It's going to be a sad day when the Coyotes leave. Phoenix will no longer be in the elite cities that have all four of the major sports. Let's just hope that we can get a new franchise sooner then later. By the way how's that land hifill cleanup coming along Tempe?
The opposition group hasn't done sh*t since the vote failed, they disappeared like a puddle of water in the middle of June. Such a joke.

Another interesting angle could be MLS, which would likely be very well received as our market is 32% Hispanic. A story was published last week that has kind of flown under the radar for now, which is fine with me.

https://arizonasports.com/story/3545...-phoenix-area/

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
The opposition group hasn't done sh*t since the vote failed, they disappeared like a puddle of water in the middle of June. Such a joke.

Another interesting angle could be MLS, which would likely be very well received as our market is 32% Hispanic. A story was published last week that has kind of flown under the radar for now, which is fine with me.

https://arizonasports.com/story/3545...-phoenix-area/
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Right, I had posted this article in early April. The funny thing is the site they're looking at in Mesa (gravel pit - 202/Dobson) is the same site that was previously linked to the Coyotes.

Such a sad day yesterday, watching the last game on TV. I expect more stories/rumors from behind-the-scenes to how all this crap unfolded to come out soon. The latest stories I have seen thus far is that Ryan Smith was behind the opposition group in Tempe and financing some aspects of it. Also, that the retirement banner for Shane Doan was left behind in Gila River Arena and they attempted to contact the Coyotes to return it but they never picked up so they just threw it in the trash. Luckily, some fan picked it up and returned it to Doaner at last night's game.

Such a shitty ownership group all around...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 4:30 PM

This morning on the radio, Derick Hall (President of DBacks) spoke with new clarity on their position. He said they had "kicked the tires" on several solutions in the past but are now 100% committed to staying downtown at Chase. He even mentioned that they "like" their ballpark, which is a change in tone. He seemed positive that they were on their way to a new deal, and he mentioned the "the city" first among a list of city, county, and state.

I know the Dbacks have poo-poo'd the theme park district, but if you recall, they were the ones who spearheaded the law change a few years ago made a few changes but one was it would allow them to charge a variable rate that is less than 9% so if they can make it work with a smaller charge that upsets fans less, they could still make a run at that. It's not like anyone else has offered them much of a deal.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Right, I had posted this article in early April. The funny thing is the site they're looking at in Mesa (gravel pit - 202/Dobson) is the same site that was previously linked to the Coyotes.

Such a sad day yesterday, watching the last game on TV. I expect more stories/rumors from behind-the-scenes to how all this crap unfolded to come out soon. The latest stories I have seen thus far is that Ryan Smith was behind the opposition group in Tempe and financing some aspects of it. Also, that the retirement banner for Shane Doan was left behind in Gila River Arena and they attempted to contact the Coyotes to return it but they never picked up so they just threw it in the trash. Luckily, some fan picked it up and returned it to Doaner at last night's game.

They did clarify the banner was never thrown in the trash, it was in storage at Gila River Arena and the fan got it from there. At least that's the update on this story from Gambo, who never seems to be wrong.

I'm not sure how bummed to be yet. I'd rather have a team here but if it's never going to work then so be it, may have been time to rip the band-aid off if that's the case.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 6:27 PM

Quote:

Wait. Ryan Smith was behind opposition in Tempe? That's so shitty. Does that mean we should send some Arizonans to SLC to create an alliance with locals and form an opposition group to oppose any new arena deal in SLC? Seems fair enough. Or do locals not get a say in any new arena up there?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest