HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 6:39 PM
christof christof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 523
This design is too short. Need to add 20 or so stories to it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 6:43 PM
SEFTA's Avatar
SEFTA SEFTA is offline
PhillyPholly
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 544
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 6:48 PM
Jawnadelphia's Avatar
Jawnadelphia Jawnadelphia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 2,139
Also, the Morgan Lewis name/logo will be on top of the building in 2 locations, facing north on Market Street, and west towards 30th Street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 7:03 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is online now
Exhausted Drexel Student
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: University City, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,595
Love this project, and I’m happy to hear it confirmed. I guess that means that Chubb is definitely moving into the new building at 20th and Arch, no?

While the height is lacking, this area is a dead zone and there’s a 500’er proposed across the street. I’m looking forward to West Market going forward.
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 9:18 PM
eixample eixample is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 284
Ugh, more logos/company names on top of buildings. Super tacky. Not a fan.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 12:12 PM
cardeza cardeza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
Ugh, more logos/company names on top of buildings. Super tacky. Not a fan.
I think this happens in cities all over the US.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 12:33 PM
eixample eixample is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I think this happens in cities all over the US.
And I am not a fan of any of it being done in excess in any city. Nor am I fan of urban billboards, in which Philly proliferates. Its always curious to me to see which companies push for these. A firm like Morgan Lewis wouldnt seem to be the type to me - I certainly understand why they want to get their name out to the Acela set but it still strikes me odd that a firm with elite global pretensions would do it. This sign is certainly not the worst thing in the world though, I don't want to be too curmudgeonly or a buzzkill on this positive development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 1:12 PM
Jawnadelphia's Avatar
Jawnadelphia Jawnadelphia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
And I am not a fan of any of it being done in excess in any city. Nor am I fan of urban billboards, in which Philly proliferates. Its always curious to me to see which companies push for these. A firm like Morgan Lewis wouldnt seem to be the type to me - I certainly understand why they want to get their name out to the Acela set but it still strikes me odd that a firm with elite global pretensions would do it. This sign is certainly not the worst thing in the world though, I don't want to be too curmudgeonly or a buzzkill on this positive development.
I think you’re wrong on the last points. The whole reason why Morgan is building a new building is to impress, and be a 21st century law firm. I bet putting the logo on top is something they very much wanted, and don’t see it as tacky—but a sort of chest-puffing. You want to be here, type of thing.

^^also speaking of signage, WSFS is in the process of replacing the Beneficial sign atop 1818 Market.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 4:19 PM
SEFTA's Avatar
SEFTA SEFTA is offline
PhillyPholly
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 544
Off subject, but I was wondering why the Blue Cross Building doesn't use the original elaborate lighting scheme?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 6:43 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fitler Square (via London)
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Off subject, but I was wondering why the Blue Cross Building doesn't use the original elaborate lighting scheme?
I've wondered as well - especially after they spent $$10s of millions sprucing/modernizing their pedestrian entrance and experience - and since LED technology almost eliminates the cost factor of crown lighting...seems to just be the typical Philadelphia shrug. Due to the lack of lighting and the building's very dark skin tone, it has a hulking presence on the skyline.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 2:42 AM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Your 2016 AAC Champs!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Polis Philou Adelfou
Posts: 5,715
Some I can't quite get over is how there are only two other properties that'll be left facing the 2200 block of Market. Whatever eventually replaces them will have to be extremely skinny!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Some attention now goes across the street with that absurd lot.

Can someone explain to me:

1) why their over-all Market value has stayed the same for the past 7 years and meanwhile everyone else's in the area - including mine 4 blocks south - continues to climb?

2) What did they "improve" for 2020 to earn a $7.4mm exemption on the property?

3) WHy did their taxable land value decrease in 2020? Isn't that the opposite of what the city is trying to do?

F*&K this lot and these jack-asses for squatting on it.
Believe it or not, that lost used to be used for gas storage:


Source

IIRC the site is still contaminated which naturally continues to put a damper on its redevelopment.
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 7:13 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is online now
Exhausted Drexel Student
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: University City, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,595
Q2 2020 start date according to the CCD Development report:
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 9:09 PM
arkitect13 arkitect13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Philly keeps the ball rolling with these office developments...

Title: 2222 Market
Project: Office
Architect: Gensler
Developer: Parkway
Location: 2200 block of Market Street, Philadelphia, PA
Neighborhood: Center City West
District: Center City
Floors: 18 floors
Height: 220 feet







Plan for new law firm HQ tower on Market Street receives upbeat welcome from neighborhood committee
this design is awesome i love it it looks so modern while retaining a connection to the area it in
build it
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:48 AM
3rd&Brown 3rd&Brown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post


Some attention now goes across the street with that absurd lot.

Can someone explain to me:

1) why their over-all Market value has stayed the same for the past 7 years and meanwhile everyone else's in the area - including mine 4 blocks south - continues to climb?

2) What did they "improve" for 2020 to earn a $7.4mm exemption on the property?

3) WHy did their taxable land value decrease in 2020? Isn't that the opposite of what the city is trying to do?

F*&K this lot and these jack-asses for squatting on it.
Ask Helen Gym and Alan Domb how this is allowed to happen. My taxes in Northern Liberties have tripled in 5 years (thanks, Kenney!!!).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 6:39 PM
TK2001's Avatar
TK2001 TK2001 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Lawnside, New Jersey
Posts: 969
Funny how renderings aren't showing the other side. But looking at the renders you can see the core against the south face. I believe there could be a blank wall
__________________
My YIMBY Forums: https://forum.newyorkyimby.com/u/Tho...loski/activity
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 12:15 AM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 2,326
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:04 PM
Kevin226 Kevin226 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1
Unhappy Adjacent Condo Building

Morgan Lewis had the opportunity to build on other sites for additional tax savings, but chose to build on the 23rd and Market lot. What does this building mean for the neighboring condo building who's views and property values are about to be destroyed? They clearly don't care about the local community they are moving into.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:39 PM
SEFTA's Avatar
SEFTA SEFTA is offline
PhillyPholly
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin226 View Post
Morgan Lewis had the opportunity to build on other sites for additional tax savings, but chose to build on the 23rd and Market lot. What does this building mean for the neighboring condo building who's views and property values are about to be destroyed? They clearly don't care about the local community they are moving into.
Yes. Who could've predicted they build a tower on Market Street? What neighboring condo building? Did you think this Market Street would remain vacant so another building could have a view?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:47 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fitler Square (via London)
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Yes. Who could've predicted they build a tower on Market Street? What neighboring condo building? Did you think this Market Street would remain vacant so another building could have a view?
He's talking about the building at 23rd and Ludlow. It's just the north facing units that'll struggle. It's like a 5 story building - my rowhome is nearly as tall - if you invested here expecting your views to be preserved forever, then that's kind of silly.

Also, thousands of highly paid lawyers are moving into a state of the art building right next door - I find it hard to believe that your property values will be that dramatically affected once the dust settles.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 5:15 PM
Jawnadelphia's Avatar
Jawnadelphia Jawnadelphia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 2,139
They picked that site due to their relationship with Parkway (parking) who owns the lot (as well as the garage in the current Morgan Lewis building), and the site's location on Market Street--with zero encumbrances, close to 30th Street Station/Amtrak/Septa, which falls in line with Center City's continuous movement westward towards University City and Schuylkill Yards.

Kevin226 post sounds incredibly selfish.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:33 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.