HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 8:58 PM

2028 Summer Olympics Oregon

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 9:01 PM
BANNED

Lol

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 10:10 PM

As fun as it would be. Hosting the Olympics is a huge expense for the host city. And the city rarely recoups it's investment.

That said, if they want to host the Olympics in Oregon for free. I am completely down with that.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 10:18 PM

boon·dog·gle
ˈbo͞onˌdäɡəl,-ˌdôɡəl/

noun
1. work or activity that is wasteful or pointless but gives the appearance of having value.
"writing off the cold fusion phenomenon as a boondoggle best buried in literature"

verb
1. waste money or time on unnecessary or questionable projects.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 2:35 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
boon·dog·gle
ˈbo͞onˌdäɡəl,-ˌdôɡəl/

noun
1. work or activity that is wasteful or pointless but gives the appearance of having value.
"writing off the cold fusion phenomenon as a boondoggle best buried in literature"

verb
1. waste money or time on unnecessary or questionable projects.
It is only a boondoggle if the city gets involved in this, as of right now, a private firm can knock themselves out trying to go for this. I just hope this private firm has a Plan B when this all falls apart for them.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaka07 View Post
Fun dream and interesting concept. If LA gets the 2024 games the 2028 games will not go to another U.S. city.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
It is only a boondoggle if the city gets involved in this, as of right now, a private firm can knock themselves out trying to go for this. I just hope this private firm has a Plan B when this all falls apart for them.
I'd frankly be quite shocked to learn that ANY city in modern times built infrastructure for an olympics without massive public capital.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrmor View Post
As fun as it would be. Hosting the Olympics is a huge expense for the host city. And the city rarely recoups it's investment.

That said, if they want to host the Olympics in Oregon for free. I am completely down with that.
I've yet to see an example of a profitable Olympics, so I'm gonna wager you won't be down with whatever this is.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 6:26 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
I'd frankly be quite shocked to learn that ANY city in modern times built infrastructure for an olympics without massive public capital.
We would first have to be selected for the Olympics before they started doing any massive projects. All this firm is doing is essentially a marketing campaign, which if they want to waste their own money trying to court something that isn't ever going to happen, cool for them.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
I've yet to see an example of a profitable Olympics, so I'm gonna wager you won't be down with whatever this is.
Los Angeles in 1984 was profitable because they used existing venues and facilities. That's probably why they will host 2024, making this whole effort moot.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNorthwest View Post
Los Angeles in 1984 was profitable because they used existing venues and facilities. That's probably why they will host 2024, making this whole effort moot.
Atlanta in '96 was also profitable since it followed LA's financial model and relied on corporate sponsorships, largely from major Atlanta based companies. Atlanta receives derision for it to this day, but it (along with LA '84) are textbook examples for how to pay for the Games without ruining the host city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics