HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 1:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The whole point of corridor service in general is also to deal with highway congestion.

Those who live out west do not fully understand how big an issue that is becoming and will only get worse in the future. An alternative is needed and improved rail service is probably as cost efficient as its going to get. Road expansion will likely cost even more. Airline service is expensive and cannot serve the 'in between' cities at all.
Indeed. from 2013-2041 (28 year period), Ontario is forecast to grow by 4.2 million people (equivalent to the entire current population of Alberta), to nearly 18 million in total. Almost all of this growth will be in and around the so-called Greater Golden Horseshoe, with a population forecast of 9.4 million for the GTA, with a combined 13.5 million forecast for the GGH.

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/economy/...s/projections/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Indeed. from 2013-2041 (28 year period), Ontario is forecast to grow by 4.2 million people (equivalent to the entire current population of Alberta), to nearly 18 million in total. Almost all of this growth will be in and around the so-called Greater Golden Horseshoe, with a population forecast of 9.4 million for the GTA, with a combined 13.5 million forecast for the GGH.

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/economy/...s/projections/
Aw man, I was hoping for us to double our population. Imagine, 26 or 27 million people living in Ontario, it would be beautiful. HSR and hyper loops everywhere!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
Aw man, I was hoping for us to double our population. Imagine, 26 or 27 million people living in Ontario, it would be beautiful. HSR and hyper loops everywhere!
By then Northern Ontario would likely be a separate province too...at least I think.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 4:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
Most of it might look like Milton.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Most of it might look like Milton.
By 2031, with any luck, even Milton won't look like Milton.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 1:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
By then Northern Ontario would likely be a separate province too...at least I think.
One can dream... as I look out my living room window and see our beautiful smokestack.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Yup...I can see it now..In fighting between Sudbury, the Sault, and Thunder Bay on which city should be the provincial capital, followed by that Queen Victoria type move where Timmins or North Bay gets named instead.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 10:09 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Yup...I can see it now..In fighting between Sudbury, the Sault, and Thunder Bay on which city should be the provincial capital, followed by that Queen Victoria type move where Timmins or North Bay gets named instead.
Then Thunder Bay takes the NW with it and tries to secede because the ~2/3rds of the population in the eastern third of the province is ignoring them.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 10:37 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Then kapiskasing goes its own way too, since it would be just as probable. Northern Ontario isnt going anywhere unless Southern Ontario decides to reject it, which it wont. Now more than ever, Ontario's territorial integrity is unshakably strong, Southern Ontario's demographic and political lock on the province is total and complete.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 12:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Then Thunder Bay takes the NW with it and tries to secede because the ~2/3rds of the population in the eastern third of the province is ignoring them.
Perhaps the uprising will spread to Kenora and the place will be torn asunder with a revival of the interprovincial Rat Portage War

http://www.winnipeg.ca/police/history/story13.stm

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:54 AM
User Registered

Major announcement expected in London for a line that will stretch from Windsor-Toronto.

I've been duped before. That 300 km/h London-Toronto route was promised before the last provincial election to be built in 10 years. No shovels in the ground yet, and the Liberals backtracked saying they only wanted to 'study' it.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...rail-line.html

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-to...dsor-1.3420205

http://london.ctvnews.ca/wynne-to-ma...ndon-1.3420068

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:57 AM

High speed rail will be obsolete soon. Who will want to take a train when they can sleep in their driverless car while it drives all night long. The same thing will happen to domestic air travel.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:06 AM
User Registered

The high speed rail line from Windsor to Toronto should help relieve some strain on airports and highways.

Eventually the lines could be adapted so that driver-less cars could board them or have high speed freight rail.

Bleh, it will probably turn out to be just another study and nothing more anyway

Video Link

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
High speed rail will be obsolete soon. Who will want to take a train when they can sleep in their driverless car while it drives all night long. The same thing will happen to domestic air travel.
All the self-driving cars in the world won't make a dent in bumper to bumper traffic. The traffic between London and Toronto is so heavy that they either will have to build far superior rail or widen the 401 again from Woodstock to London like they are now doing thru KWC.

If there was ever a time that high speed rail actually gets real funding it's now with QP probably willing to commit, Ottawa, and the new infrastructure bank which will bring in private money.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Major announcement expected in London for a line that will stretch from Windsor-Toronto.

I've been duped before. That 300 km/h London-Toronto route was promised before the last provincial election to be built in 10 years. No shovels in the ground yet, and the Liberals backtracked saying they only wanted to 'study' it.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...rail-line.html

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-to...dsor-1.3420205

http://london.ctvnews.ca/wynne-to-ma...ndon-1.3420068
i get so pissed off with these announcements. Santa Claus never delivers the goods, only promises that are not kept.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:58 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Perhaps someone will be smart (ha!) and structure the EA to encompass all high-speed rail and similar technologies (Hyperloop!) in one study. By the time the EA would be done, perhaps there would be other worthwhile technologies to consider.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:11 PM
gettin' rich!

Preliminary Design work to begin on High Speed Rail from Toronto-KW-London-Chatham-Windsor.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:11 PM

Talk about a shameless vote grab, but also a pretty poor one. No one will pay attention to this, except for a few transit nerds and a few people glancing through the back pages of the London Free Press.

Because this line will never be built, I wonder if there would be a better way to fritter away $15 million to buy votes in 2018.

It's worth noting that the Liberals pulled this exact stunt back in 2013, promising an HSR to London when they were also one year away from an election that they expected to lose. After they won a majority they became curiously silent on this until now.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Talk about a shameless vote grab, but also a pretty poor one. No one will pay attention to this, except for a few transit nerds and a few people glancing through the back pages of the London Free Press.

Because this line will never be built, I wonder if there would be a better way to fritter away $15 million to buy votes in 2018.

It's worth noting that the Liberals pulled this exact stunt back in 2013, promising an HSR to London when they were also one year away from an election that they expected to lose. After they won a majority they became curiously silent on this until now.
The Liberals are running scared. They will announce anything to get votes. We all must no be sheeple and we need to see this as an election ploy.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:51 PM

It is getting some attention on Facebook and Reddit. There are two very different themes depending on the location.

In Toronto, the theme is that nobody travels from Toronto to Windsor so it's a waste of money. Seems to have very little support in Toronto. (The sheer lack of knowledge of Southwestern Ontario's population and its economic dependence on Toronto is evident)

In London, it's more mixed; some in favour, some concern about the cost.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada