HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 7:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Actually it's being built by Francesco Aquilini, owner of the Crowne Plaza Lord Beaverbrook and the Vancouver Canucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
If it's being built by Aquillini, then signs point to it possibly happening in Moncton as well, seeing as how, he own the crowne plaza and the whole block it's on.
Well, Danny Murphy was involved at some point. It matters not a whit however if it is Aquillini who is now involved. The situations in Freddy and Moncton are virtually identical. If I'm not mistaken, the Aquillini's own the Crowne Plazas in both cities, and I could see them being involved in Hilton Garden Inns in both cities as well.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Well, Danny Murphy was involved at some point. It matters not a whit however if it is Aquillini who is now involved. The situations in Freddy and Moncton are virtually identical. If I'm not mistaken, the Aquillini's own the Crowne Plazas in both cities, and I could see them being involved in Hilton Garden Inns in both cities as well.
From what I've gathered from all the information given about the Junction plans is that the hotel & Restaurant would be within the Building in the corner facing both Main, and Vaughan Harvey. Also based on the potential noise they wanted the hotel to be as far away from the tracks as possible.

Also it seems like the Condo/apartment building that was supposed to be being build on High backing onto 25 Dominion is a bust. A part of the land has been used as Monthly pay parking the land has been posted for sale by owner it seems to be multiple times, and Now I'm not sure if it's finally been sold to someone new or just going to be kept as an empty lot. I also noticed They where working on Downing street to finish the job but does anyone know what they where doing in the front of the city hall, they had the entire area barricaded off, and the lawn all thorn out.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 9:27 PM

deleted

Last edited by Monctoncore; Apr 19, 2016 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 11:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Proposed post renovation appearance of the old car dealership building on East Main Street which contains Spin It Records and the Comic Hunter:

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 12:30 AM

They seem to have already started renovations on parts of the building.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 11:44 AM

Old Moncton Jail gets Facelift as New Tenants Sought

Moncton's former jail on Assumption Blvd is being renovated as the owners continue to seek tenant for the building.

-Times & Transcript

I assumed it would be torn down...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 4:03 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Proposed post renovation appearance of the old car dealership building on East Main Street which contains Spin It Records and the Comic Hunter:

Nice! Major upgrade...I like that they are focusing the street frontage at a pedestrian level. There is also a small call center in there now in the space formerly occupied by BorderTech.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Old Moncton Jail gets Facelift as New Tenants Sought

Moncton's former jail on Assumption Blvd is being renovated as the owners continue to seek tenant for the building.

-Times & Transcript

I assumed it would be torn down...
I actually think that was supposed to be the plan at first I can't remember when but I seen some plans, and it looked like it was to be replaced with a six story building. I think it was part of the Potential city face lift with condo/apartment buildings, and commercial space.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I actually think that was supposed to be the plan at first I can't remember when but I seen some plans, and it looked like it was to be replaced with a six story building. I think it was part of the Potential city face lift with condo/apartment buildings, and commercial space.
Are you talking about that render of the redeveloped Downing street which showed office and residential buildings in the 6-storey range lining the street, or some other render specific to this lot?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Are you talking about that render of the redeveloped Downing street which showed office and residential buildings in the 6-storey range lining the street, or some other render specific to this lot?
Other render specific to this lot. It was around the same time as the plans for 3 buildings on the Rogers Call Centre Parking lot.

Last edited by Scarface; Apr 21, 2016 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 12:25 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I don't recall it, but regardless, there are currently no new proposed buildings to line Downing Street. The renders that most of us remember were only to show what Downing street could become.

I still think the new police station could go on the NW corner of Downing & Assomption. It would be right next to the courthouse, which would be very convenient. If this were the case though, why would the current owners of the old jail be renovating the building? That would seem to be a waste of money in such a scenario.........

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 12:57 AM

The Mounties (or at least the policing commission, with no objection from the Mounties) have always said they want to be as close to the courts as possible, preferably with a tunnel connecting the two though both the commission and the force can't see the tunnel option as being affordable.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 6:00 PM

If even half these proposed developments start this year it will be fun to see the total dollar amount for building permits issued for 2016.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 6:00 PM

Article in the T&T today states that the new Goodlife building at The Junction will be one storey (not two), adjacent to 211 surface parking spots (I hadn't realized the plan showed this many). By comparison, the YMCA is a much larger & busier facility (about 3 times the size by eyeballing it) with 200 parking spots. I agree with mmmatt that this parking will be primarily used for the events centre.

From the article: While that’s not in keeping with the dense urban landscape seen in the mock-ups of the proposed Junction Urban Village, MacLellan said there are often reasons why developers cannot erect a multi-storey building on a particular part of a new development. He did not elaborate.

https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...jects-in-works

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 6:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Article in the T&T today states that the new Goodlife building at The Junction will be one storey (not two), adjacent to 211 surface parking spots (I hadn't realized the plan showed this many). By comparison, the YMCA is a much larger & busier facility (about 3 times the size by eyeballing it) with 200 parking spots. I agree with mmmatt that this parking will be primarily used for the events centre.
Regarding the number of "stories" in the building, I imagine it depends on whether you consider a mezzanine as a separate storey or not. I think this new GoodLife will be a clone of the one at the Mapleton Centre.

Regarding the parking spots, I can't imagine them opening up these spots to regular attendees at the events centre. I wonder if they hope that people will sign up for gym membership just so they can get a coveted parking sticker so they can park there during Wildcats games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
From the article: While that’s not in keeping with the dense urban landscape seen in the mock-ups of the proposed Junction Urban Village, MacLellan said there are often reasons why developers cannot erect a multi-storey building on a particular part of a new development. He did not elaborate.
That could be, and if they have to adulterate the dense urban landscape of the Junction Village , this is definitely the place to do it. The GoodLife lot will be the furthest one from the Main/Vaughan Harvey intersection. Let's hope the rest of the Junction Village will be dense 4-8 stories, and will consist of a mix of retail/commercial with upstairs condos and the hoped for Hilton branded hotel.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 12:00 PM

There is an article in the Acadie Nouvelle this morning about the Junction Village : http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...ndu-a-moncton/

There's also another rendering of the GoodLife that I didn't saw before :

They state that they should annouce more on this in the next few weeks with construction starting in June, so stay tuned

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emad View Post
There is an article in the Acadie Nouvelle this morning about the Junction Village : http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...ndu-a-moncton/

There's also another rendering of the GoodLife that I didn't saw before :

They state that they should annouce more on this in the next few weeks with construction starting in June, so stay tuned
The article also mentions that the businesses and residential apartments will be attached to the gym (as seen on the picture). I'm glad to see some density!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 12:00 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
The article also mentions that the businesses and residential apartments will be attached to the gym (as seen on the picture). I'm glad to see some density!
That's a nice rendering there above, and it's good to see the mixed use commercial/residential building in the background. It gives me hope that the remainder of the Junction Urban Village will proceed as planned.

I don't believe that this commercial/residential building will actually be "attached" to the GoodLife Fitness building however. The site plan below shows GoodLife to be a standalone building.......

I had an interesting chat today with a person (a friend) who is intimately involved with a business located near the Vaughan Harvey/Main Street area (a business impacted by this redevelopment), and this person offered some interesting insights.

1) - The GoodLife Fitness building being built at the Junction Urban Village is actually a replacement for the downtown GoodLife location on Main Street, not the GoodLife women's fitness centre in the Sobey's plaza.
2) - The GoodLife women's fitness centre is going to survive, and will be relocated within the Sobey's development, perhaps between the VIA station and Shoppers Drug Mart. This will mean that there will be two GoodLife locations across the street from one another (albeit catering to different clienteles).
3) - As we know, the Sobey's is going to expand to become a Sobey's Extra store. What we didn't know is that the NBLC in the plaza is also going to expand it's footprint as well and become about 50% larger.
4) - The Shoe Tree will relocate to a small plaza on the south side of the expanded Sobey's (we knew that already).
5) - The remainder of the Junction Urban Village is intended to proceed and to look much like the initial renders we are all familiar with.
6) - There is indeed a hotel planned for the SW corner of Vaughan Harvey and Main, and it is true that the preferred option is for it to be a Hilton branded property. This is not yet confirmed however as negotiations are ongoing.

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 1:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

les Gourmandes cheese delicatessen and chocolate shop is moving from the Keddy's block (Crowne Plaza Hotel) to 527 Main Street, across from the Codiac RCMP headquarters.

It sounds like the retailers in that strip attached to the Crowne Plaza are being "encouraged" to relocate. Sounds like something might be afoot now that the events centre is underway........

So, what's up Mr. Aquillini??

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 1, 2016 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 2:10 PM

Quote:
les Gourmandes cheese delicatessen and chocolate shop is moving from the Keddy's block (Crowne Plaza Hotel) to 527 Main Street, across from the Codiac RCMP headquarters.

It sounds like all the retailers in that strip attached to the Crowne Plaza are being "encouraged" to relocate. Sounds like something might be afoot now that the events centre is underway........

So, what's up Mr. Aquillini??

HUmm could it mean that the Crowne PLaza will be undergoing major renovations and i hope when they do decide to do them that they will include a multi level parking garage.

And to ,many people i talk they think the main disadvantage for the mew event center downtown will be parking and they WILL not be supporting the events downtown if this major issue is not adressed.

I hope with whats in the works for downtown will mean a whole new dynamic for the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces