HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:48 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
This might help.

I feel confident in saying almost all of that will be built in five years.
I forgot to add the Cambrian Suites 1/2 block north of the Turnberry proposal on 8th. The rendering is one of similar size and scope in Pittsburgh and not the official Nashville proposal although I suspect it wouldn't be too different.

What does it say about the pace of development when a modest project like that is barely a blip on the radar.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 8:09 PM

I'm not bothered by the contrast between the hotel and the apartments. They are two distinct buildings with two distinct design requirements.

I am very pleased with the look of the apartments. They look 100 years old, but in a good way!

That is one superb piece of design and I hope other developers notice; the bar has been raised!!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 12:18 AM

Will definitely be one of the nicest apartment buildings in town. If not THE nicest.

On the subject of the Buckingham, demo started today. The Wendy's is coming down first..

Demo to begin at Buckingham site in Midtown
https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/...ite_in_midtown

Quote:
Demolition is slated to begin at about noon today at the Midtown site on which Buckingham Companies' massive mixed-used project will be undertaken.

Earlier this month, Indianapolis-based Buckingham secured six permits, valued at $110,400, for the demo work. The four structures to be razed include the vintage masonry building last home to Ken's Sushi.

Crain Construction Inc. is the general contractor for the project, the site for which is located at the intersection of 21st Avenue, Broadway and Division Street.

Also today, demolition began for the Virgin hotel as well. Eagerly awaiting renderings...

Demolition slated for Virgin Hotel site
https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/...gin_hotel_site

Quote:
NV Music Row LLC has secured two permits for the demolition of a pair of buildings located on the site on which it plans to develop a Virgin Hotel.

The buildings are located at 7 and 9 Music Square West near the Musica Roundabout.

Nashville-based Dem Tec Inc. will handle the razing, with the two permits totaling $47,000

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 1:23 AM

Rendering for the Crescendo' just released in the Tennessean.

23 stories with 303 apartments to be located in the South Gulch (barely).

Another week, another big project.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 1:58 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^The design isn't bad, I just don't know whether or not I should take this seriously after "Strings".

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
^The design isn't bad, I just don't know whether or not I should take this seriously after "Strings".
^Agree. And thanks for posting that MT1.

It's hard to judge it by this preliminary rendering as it doesn't really show much detail, but it looks okay from what I can see. I like the massing of it, has decent height, and I like the ornamental thing going on at the top. Still not quite a crown, but it's better than nothing and adds a little extra flare to it. Maybe in some updated renders we might get lucky. It definitely needs something at the top.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 4:56 PM

With the Crescendo is there a history with the developer not getting his projects off the ground or something? Where in the South Gulch is this supposed to be located?

I think the design is nice depending on the materials used and the significance of the design element at the top. However, it would have been nice to see the building structure itself form the peak towards the middle. Nashville has one too many buildings with horizontal tops. It would be nice to see someone venture away from that and offer a peak or crown.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 5:58 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
With the Crescendo is there a history with the developer not getting his projects off the ground or something?
Not really, he just hasn't developed anything near this large or expensive from what I've seen. Plus he's the guy that cooked up "Strings", the huge guitar condo tower. That childish approach to a development is what makes me write this off as never happening.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 9:42 PM

I think the different designs for the Buckingham will help it mesh with the neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 11:42 PM

The list of leases are starting to stack up already for the Eakin office tower that broke ground in the Gulch recently. The dirt just started moving and it's already 30% leased out, with another lease in the works for an additional 10%. At this rate, this thing will be filled up in no time.

Additional signed tenants include talent agency William Morris Endeavor, which is an existing Eakin tenant, and also the law firm Neal & Harwell, which is relocating from the One Nashville Place tower downtown.

The Gulch Crossings office building under construction across the street is not even half way done yet and is something like 70% leased out already.

Come on Tony G! Lets get Sheet Music going...

Sony Music Nashville leaving Music Row for new Gulch office building
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...w-for-new.html

A picture Ron over at UP took the other day of site prep currently taking place.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 2:54 AM

I've covered SoBro and the Music Row/Mid Town areas, so here's the Gulch summary of development.

While there are not a lot of 'signature' skyscrapers going up, there are many mid rise, 15 to 25 story buildings going up from 1st avenue to 21st Avenue making a continuous 40 block long dense urban area. That includes the already dense Vanderbilt/Medical District/West End area.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:25 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^^^ MidTenn, Is the "High Rise Mixed Use" that you have just off of church the same developer that's responsible for Gulch Crossings? I can't remember who or when that one was announced.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
^^^ MidTenn, Is the "High Rise Mixed Use" that you have just off of church the same developer that's responsible for Gulch Crossings? I can't remember who or when that one was announced.
It was announced about a month ago. A developer called Transwestern is involved. A quote from the Tennessean...

Quote:
From the Tennessean;
Houston-based real estate company Transwestern has about 3.3 acres on Church Street across from Nashville Electric Service’s main offices under contract with plans for future development.

Tom Frye, managing director with CBRE’s Nashville office, sees a combination of a hotel and condos as the best potential use for the site, with an office building also being an option. “It’s a high-visibility site and it’s easy access because it’s right at the I-40 ramp, so access and visibility are the strong points,” Frye said. “It would have to be a high-rise just because it’s so visible.”

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:50 AM

With the signing of Sony Music and the William Morris Agency, it would be tre' cool to see this as you drove down I-40...

Boom! You are so now in Nashville!!

Last edited by MidTenn1; Aug 28, 2014 at 2:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:52 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
It was announced about a month ago. A developer called Transwestern is involved. A quote from the Tennessean...
I completely missed that.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:58 AM

Regarding the proposed condo development in the south Gulch on Division Street.....from the June 30, 2014 Nashville Business Journal...

Quote:
The Mainland Cos. is developing a mixed-use project on three-tenths of an acre on Division Street.

"What we have projected there will be distinct from what you see in the Gulch now," said Jim Cheney, a local spokesman retained by Mainland. I asked Cheney what he meant, and he began talking about the project's scale.

"We're looking for something that makes a statement, but also is not just a big overwhelming building," Cheney said. "We're targeting something a little more private in nature and self-contained."

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 1:00 PM

An article about the Eakin office tower in the NP with a new rendering.

1201 Demonbreun now 40% preleased
https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2...on_gulch_tower

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 4:31 PM

The tower portion of the final 1201 Demonbreun rendering is a little disappointed to me due to its lack of visual interest. It's very Cool Springs-esque.

Here's some very positive office development news though. According to Cassidy Turley's fall 2014 report, Class A office vacancy in Nashville is at 4%. Sounds like it's time for Tony Giarratana to put Sheet Music on the front burner or for some other developer to propose an office tower.

Class A office space vacancy rate nears 4%

"However, Nashville’s Class A office space was actually leasing up much quicker than other space. The flight to quality drove the Class A vacancy rate from 12.6% at the end of 2009 to 4.3% at mid-2014 — the lowest rate on record."

Full Report (Nashville at p. 25)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Regarding the proposed condo development in the south Gulch on Division Street.....from the June 30, 2014 Nashville Business Journal...
This doesn't make me think it will be anything out of the box necessarily. Nashville is already overloaded with understated buildings and when you say private and constraint, that makes me thing understated.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
The tower portion of the final 1201 Demonbreun rendering is a little disappointed to me due to its lack of visual interest. It's very Cool Springs-esque.

Here's some very positive office development news though. According to Cassidy Turley's fall 2014 report, Class A office vacancy in Nashville is at 4%. Sounds like it's time for Tony Giarratana to put Sheet Music on the front burner or for some other developer to propose an office tower.

Class A office space vacancy rate nears 4%

"However, Nashville’s Class A office space was actually leasing up much quicker than other space. The flight to quality drove the Class A vacancy rate from 12.6% at the end of 2009 to 4.3% at mid-2014 — the lowest rate on record."

Full Report (Nashville at p. 25)
I agree the design is disappointing and it does look like something more for a suburban office park/center than the inner city urban landscape. It is yet another dime a dozen design in my opinion.

If class A office vacancy is at 4% in Nashville, you're right. It is time for someone to announce something major for downtown. The sheet music design is nice but I'd rather see 505 CST than Sheet Music. I almost wish 505 could be built in SoBro. Of course I'd still like to see Signature Tower built at 65 stories.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations