HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 5:29 AM
BANNED

Two more views of Parkside of Old Town

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 5:31 AM
The City

^ Great views.

So much wasted space...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:08 PM

Wrigley Building Renovation

I walked by the Wrigley Building last night and saw that they have new construction fencing up with nice big "windows" providing a view of the construction. Below are my crappy phone photos, so if someone with a nicer set up wants to check it out it might be good.

It looks like they have already demoed the existing structural slab down to the existing steel beams and are getting ready to pour the new structural slab. Also, the cladding/glass on the bridge seems to be gone already. It also looks like they have removed the glass/metal facade from the northern building.

The rumors that I hear say that they want this open to pedestrians in time for that Michigan Ave Disney Parade at the end of November.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:51 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
From the Public Building Commission release: The new school is designed for 1,200 students and will be approximately 278,000 square feet with seven floors, plus a lower level.

I haven't seen an official height, but I think it will be around 150 feet. If it's sunny, I'll try to measure it tomorrow.

I think the official height is around 164', assuming to the top of penthouse...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:54 PM
you know where I'll be

Joe Zekas' Shot along Roosevelt w of River

Although the Maxwell will help this area tremendously, it's just a sad view....those parking fields are so ridiculous being what - 1.25 miles from the heart of the nation's 2nd largest cbd

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Although the Maxwell will help this area tremendously, it's just a sad view....those parking fields are so ridiculous being what - 1.25 miles from the heart of the nation's 2nd largest cbd
I just found out a few weeks ago that the empty field just south of the Roosevelt Collection (south of Roosevelt Road) was the front runner site for New Comiskey Park in the late 80's. This was before Jerry threatened to move the team to Tampa and the team and state/city eventually compromised on land that they already owned south of Old Comiskey. Think about how different this area of the South Loop would have been if a ball park was built on that site (for good or for bad...).

Article from 1987:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...mption-stadium

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 9:19 PM
Urbane observer

Ah, South Loop memories. I didn't think we could defeat the Sox stadium, so I was trying to get some concessions in return (like using the B&OCT RR bridge for a busway). New City published a cartoon showing me selling out the neighborhood because I was such a wild-eyed baseball fan—though I've never even watched a game on TV.

In the 1990s, the Postal Service wanted to build the new post office there, but Mayor Daley scotched that.

I'd have to look at my files, but I believe the idea of building next to the old ballpark was what finally ended the threat at Clark & Roosevelt, though the alderman (Fred Roti) had been pressured into saying he wouldn't support it.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 12:36 AM
BANNED

Lakeshore Athletic Club news

Lakeshore Athletic Club, 850 N Lake Shore Dr by YoChicago1, on Flickr

Crain's is reporting that the Lakeshore Athletic Club will be converted to 198 apartments, with construction expected to start next year. It's the building to the left of Mies van der Rohe's "glass houses."

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 1:18 AM
tilted & shifted

Great shot, Joe. JHC looks so good from the east.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 6:35 PM
Urbane observer

No ceremony or evergreen, but I'm pretty sure Jones HS topped out yesterday (Sunday).

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 9:52 PM
Cap ou pas cap?

Random question, but does anybody know anything about this building? I really like it and was surprised that I never noticed it before. I've been checking out this site for years and I don't recall ever seeing anything about it, even though it's rather new. I'm just curious when it was built and who the architect is. Thanks!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=333+w+...1.78,,0,-19.82

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboy560 View Post
Random question, but does anybody know anything about this building? I really like it and was surprised that I never noticed it before. I've been checking out this site for years and I don't recall ever seeing anything about it, even though it's rather new. I'm just curious when it was built and who the architect is. Thanks!

I'm curious about that building as well. Just randomly saw it one day. Couldn't figure out when it was built, but I was impressed by the narrow lot size and verticality

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 11:59 PM
TL;DR

http://www.sgroupproperties.com/brighton.html

I don't think they know what "brazen" means.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 12:57 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I'm curious about that building as well. Just randomly saw it one day. Couldn't figure out when it was built, but I was impressed by the narrow lot size and verticality
It was built in 2005 according to Cribchatter. That makes sense to me. I think it was started maybe as earlly as 2003 - it was delayed delivery.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 2:40 AM
TL;DR

From Crain's...

Quote:
Gonnella Baking Co. is seeking buyers for a 1.8-acre property in the River West neighborhood, offering it as a site for a residential development. The Schaumburg-based company has hired Jones Lang LaSalle Inc. to sell the property at 1001 W. Chicago Ave., about a block east of the Chicago Transit Authority’s Blue Line el stop. Gonnella plans to move a 67,000-square-foot bakery on the property to another location, said Jones Lang Vice-President John Roberson. The property doesn’t have an asking price, and Mr. Roberson said a residential developer would have to seek new zoning for the parcel, currently zoned for manufacturing. Based on current zoning for nearby residential properties, the city could permit 200 to 300 units on the Gonnella site, according to a Jones Lang marketing brochure. Gonnella recently sold a West Town property for $2.08 million to a developer that plans a 24-unit residential project there.
I hope this falls within the TOD ordinance radius. It's not often a site this big comes up so close to a transit station, this close to downtown. Who's the alderman?

Hopefully this will give some impetus to fix one of the deadliest intersections in the city.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 2:52 AM
BANNED

550 Wellington - Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
It was built in 2005 according to Cribchatter. That makes sense to me. I think it was started maybe as earlly as 2003 - it was delayed delivery.
It was still on the drawing boards when we wrote about it in July of 2004.

Trivia: the greenhouse next door above 3001 Broadway, now Johnny Sprockets, was my office for 5 years.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 5:45 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:

Perhaps, surprisingly, a Pappageorge/ Haymes project IIRC.

---

http://ariescapital.com/news/aries-c...ntown-chicago/

Aries Capital Completes Sale of Vacant Development Site in Downtown Chicago

Aries Capital is pleased to announce the sale of a 4,700 square foot vacant land site adjacent to the Chicago Motor Club building. Aries Capital secured ownership of the vacant land and the building at 68 E. Wacker Place last year. The vacant land was recently sold to a private hotel real estate company. The transaction closed on August 30, 2012. Aries Capital plans to market the Chicago Motor Club building.
​The Chicago Motor Club building, built in 1928, is a 15-story, 89,000 square foot Art Deco structure designed by Holabird & Root. Located on historic Ft. Dearborn in Chicago, it is rich with history and is an architecturally significant building amongst the downtown landscape. Since purchasing the building and vacant land last year, Aries Capital has positioned the building for sale and redevelopment. The structure boasts a dramatic three-story lobby and features numerous Art Deco fixtures and elements throughout. It is eligible for historic tax credits and the City of Chicago’s landmark Class L property tax reduction.
​“By selling the vacant land next to the Chicago Motor Club building, we are now able to bring this historic asset and opportunity to the market unencumbered,” said Neil Freeman, Chairman and CEO of Aries Capital. “This will open the door for a variety of potential investors and buyers that are interested in redeveloping just the building. It’s a chance to preserve the past while defining the future. We’re already receiving expressions of interest.”

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 3:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Zekas View Post
God... SO much opportunity!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 3:59 PM
Marina City

I am amazed that I don't see any Cabrini Green buildings.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 4:01 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8spires View Post
I am amazed that I don't see any Cabrini Green buildings.
The Cabrini rowhouses are visible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development