HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 4:01 PM
Closed account

Locke St doesn't need Starbucks! I'm pretty sure Starbucks needs Locke St to penetrate the Hamilton market.

But Locke is already one of the most cultural locations in the city... a Starbucks is definately not going to make it seem more "sophisticated".
What makes it sophisticated is it's huge amount of successful indy shops & eateries & cafes!

I don't drink Starbucks simply b/c I don't like coffee. So I'll be continuing my patronage w/ the LSB... mmm bagels.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 4:03 PM
Closed account

...and the Bad Dog, Main Desserts, and (fingers crossed) the new cafe set to open soon.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hammer'd

I personally think Starbucks should be looking at James North, maybe talking to LIUNA to get on board with the Lister project (if the bloody thing ever goes anywhere). Though if the rumor of them considering International Village is true, they won't want another location so close (or at least not yet).
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 10:56 PM
Closed account

please stop bringing up Lister!! lol. I'm tired of it, and LIUNA.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 12:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

Starbucks to open new store on Locke Street

Lisa Grace Marr
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jan 11, 2008)

It's official.

After months of rumours swirling like cream in a Caffe Mocha, Starbucks is arriving on Locke Street in late March.

Shannon Leisz, new store marketing manager for Starbucks Canada, confirmed the store's upcoming opening in an exclusive interview with The Hamilton Spectator.

The stand-alone store, a first for Hamilton, will be located in the former Robert David menswear store at the corner of Locke and Chatham.

Leisz said Starbucks decided to open the store on Locke because it met all the criteria for a great cafe: location, traffic, visibility (on a corner near Main) and convenience for customers.

"At Starbucks we're always looking for great new locations, we look at a lot of things. This is an interesting part of the city."

The store itself at 2,100 square feet, affords enough space for comfy chairs, space enough to give the full "Starbucks experience. "This location will be a great place to do homework, go for a first date, grab a latte and make those connections," said Leisz.

The company is planning to hire 15 to 20 full and part-time staffers from Hamilton, with a job fair planned at the Ancaster Chapters Starbucks on Feb. 5.

Leisz said every site is carefully evaluated and while Starbucks is always on the lookout for new sites, she said it's not clear if there's enough demand for another Starbucks in Hamilton.

The chain has 786 Starbucks stores in Canada -- more than 550 are company-operated and more than 200 are licensed stores in Canada, included those in Chapters/Indigo.

In Hamilton, there are three locations in (Ancaster Chapters, Stoney Creek and Upper James), but the Locke Street store marks the first in the lower city.

There are seven stores in Burlington.

The closest new store opened in Brantford in November.

When Starbucks moves into a neighbourhood, it's a thumbs-up for area, say local real estate agents.

"They shop around for a long time when looking at a market," said Marcel Leclerc, owner of Heritage Realty, which just opened an office on Locke. "They're very shrewd."

Judy Marsales, whose realty firm is also opening another office on Locke this spring, said a new Starbucks is an affirmation of Locke's success.

"What it does is it shows Locke Street's energy is contagious," she said. "We've noticed different swings over the years on Locke and during the last couple there's been this incredible vitality."

However, a new Starbucks does not necessarily directly translate to higher real estate prices, agents say.

Marsales said Hamilton's market is still playing catch-up to the that of the GTA, so that it's hard to determine if there is one particular cause of stronger pricing.

Neil Everson, director of economic development for the city, said it could be a reflection of the changing demographic of Locke, with a surge in Toronto residents and the potential for scientists eventually working at the planned CANMET site at Innovation Park.

"It's the changing face of Hamilton."

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 8:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

I can see a real problem happening in the mornings for Locke St. Everyone will be rushing to get on Locke in the morning for coffee and parking everywhere, some might not find parking.

For me it sounds good as I can probably stop off Starbucks first before taking off to work.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 8:04 PM
Closed account

that end of the street is empty in the mornings. it's only busy up by West-town, Bad Dog and the Bakery...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 8:55 PM

Theres also the sir allen mcnab house for sale in the north end of locke. going for about 550 000. Not sure whats better, pigott suite or mcnab "castle"? Hope a a god owner picks it up, maybe another TO developer?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 2:43 PM
Closed account

the sign is up for The Courtyard cafe on Locke...really cool little thing.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 11:45 PM
Closed account

where is this place? the nw corner of chatham and locke?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 3:07 AM
Closed account

nope..up by Charlton. next to Gallery on Locke.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 3:30 PM
Closed account

an interesting piece here. I still can't fathom people in Hamilton saying "we've arrived" because this chain is opening a new store. It's just an expensive Hortons.

Starbucks struggles in the U.S.

New York Times Service
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Feb 6, 2008)
When a Starbucks moved in next door, the coffee fanatics who run the Broadway Cafe trembled. Sure, they roasted their own beans and served up handmade espresso drinks to a loyal clientele. But would it be enough to fight off a corporate behemoth?

That was nearly 10 years ago, and now the results are in: The Starbucks is about to shut down. The store had a funereal air the other day as a handful of loyal customers sipped beverages and jotted goodbye notes in what mounted to a book of condolences.

Next door, the Broadway Cafe bustled with customers. "You win because of the coffee," said Jon Cates, one of the owners.

After more than a decade of sensational buzz, Starbucks is struggling across the U.S. as it faces slowing sales growth and increased competition.

The man who built the chain, Howard D. Schultz, has retaken the reins in an effort to revive it. He is expected to shut down more stores in the United States while accelerating expansion overseas.

Schultz has said he wants to refocus on the "customer experience," recapturing some of the magic of the chain's early years, when employees -- who had heard the term "barista" before Starbucks came along? -- made the drinks by hand and customers were excited by top-notch coffee.

Schultz faces a difficult task: He has to slow down the company to make stores feel more like hip neighbourhood coffee houses while also delivering the steady growth that investors have come to expect from Starbucks.

Can he pull it off?

Details of Schultz's plan remain under wraps. Officially, he has not given up the goal of opening 40,000 stores worldwide, which no food or beverage chain has ever achieved.

After going head-to-head with Starbucks for nine years, Cates, the Broadway Cafe owner, said he no longer worries much about competition from the company. Starbucks, he said, has lost its focus on coffee, noting that the company switched from making espresso by hand to robotic machines that pump the beverage out with a button push.

"For them, the move to fully automated machines was inevitable but they lost something," Cates said. "If you are a barista, you have to roast your own coffee. It's a necessity. You cannot compete by selling music or WiFi."

Even some loyal Starbucks customers here concede that something has changed, and not for the better.

"It's lost its mom-and-pop, home-away-from-home feel," said Aga Machauf, a 26-year-old event planner, while sipping a grande Caramel Macchiato. "It feels more corporate now."

It was not too long ago that the arrival of a new Starbucks was a major event, a recognition that a town or neighbourhood was worthy of the chic, Seattle-based chain.

But in the last five years, every street corner, airport concourse and roadside rest stop in America seemed to attract a Starbucks.

As the company grew and customer traffic increased, Starbucks expanded its food offerings while introducing efficiencies like those automated espresso machines.

Gradually, complaints surfaced that Starbucks felt more like a fast-food restaurant than a coffee house. In five years, Starbucks nearly tripled the number of stores worldwide, from 5,886 in 2002 to 15,011 in 2007.

The company is by no means losing money: It earned $673 million in profit on $9.4 billion in net revenues for 2007.

But Starbucks has been hurt by increasing costs and stiff competition. Last summer, its customer traffic declined for the first time since the company went public, sending the stock tumbling.

By the end of the year, Starbucks' stock, once seemingly invincible, had declined by 42 per cent.

Earlier in January, Starbucks ousted its chief executive, James L. Donald, and brought back Schultz to try to invigorate the company.

Schultz had already outlined many of the problems in a now-famous Feb. 14, 2007 memo entitled, "The Commoditization of the Starbucks Experience," in which he acknowledged that rapid growth had diluted the Starbucks magic.

Some Wall Street analysts have pointed to specific problems that Starbucks needs to tackle, from a lack of new products to a failure to adequately handle morning traffic in crowded stores. Sales of breakfast sandwiches and drinks like Frappuccinos have been disappointing.

Marc Greenberg, an analyst at Deutsche Bank, questioned Starbucks' initiatives that encourage competition with fast-food chains, such as drive-through windows and an expanding menu of food.

"Starbucks is all about fresh-ground coffee," he said. "As for the food, there's no kitchen in the store. How fresh can it be?"

Even so, he said the primary problem for Starbucks is simple.

"It's being overbuilt, classic oversaturation," he said. "How many places do we need? Aren't we there? Is it hard to find a Starbucks?"

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 8:26 PM
On Guard For Thee

RTH--they have a history of being very selective with their real estate. In spite of their current corporate concerns (inevitable given their rapid growth rate), they have been very successful on the real estate and very astute at entering markets selectively. The arrival of their stores is considered an indication that neighborhood/market has achieved a certain level of success. It has nothing to do with their coffee, and it has nothing to do with whether or not you or I choose to patronize their stores. Their arrival doesn't mean Locke has "arrived" in a pretentious way--it just indicates it's success as a business district.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
In spite of their current corporate concerns (inevitable given their rapid growth rate), they have been very successful on the real estate and very astute at entering markets selectively.
Well, if they were astute at entering markets selectively, they would not be in the position where they must now close down 100 bad locations and abandon plans for another 425 new US stores.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 10:19 PM
Closed account

this conversation is identical to the one about the Waterdown suburban growth.
Same problems - people sit around watching TV and believe whatever the mass/corporate media feeds them.
Whether it's cardboard box homes next to highways or horrible coffee at $5.00 a pop. It's the same thing.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 12:23 AM
On Guard For Thee

Did you even read my post? I'm pretty sure I acknowledged that they were having problems due to rapid growth. That being said, considering they operate over 15,000 locations successfully, I'm not ready to throw the company onto the wood-chipper for backing out of 100 locations in a slowing economy.

And RTH, you're link between this and the Waterdown debate is spurious at best--I don't see how they are even remotely related. The merchants on Locke have done an absolutely incredible job of building their neighborhood into something unique and prosperous. Their success is attracting new businesses to the neighborhood--end of story. Taste in coffee, like taste in sports teams, is an individual thing. I've had plenty of good cups of coffee--some from chains, some from independent shops--and no one is forcing you to go to Starbucks are they? Support the businesses you want to support, keep them in business, help them thrive--why are you even concerned about whether or not someone wants to go to Starbucks? I'll happily participate in a Forum (and argue the issues)--but all I'm seeing here is an anti-establishment rant.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 12:26 AM
Closed account

Quote:
--but all I'm seeing here is an anti-establishment rant.
And we can't have THAT!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 12:59 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Did you even read my post? I'm pretty sure I acknowledged that they were having problems due to rapid growth. That being said, considering they operate over 15,000 locations successfully, I'm not ready to throw the company onto the wood-chipper for backing out of 100 locations in a slowing economy.

And RTH, you're link between this and the Waterdown debate is spurious at best--I don't see how they are even remotely related. The merchants on Locke have done an absolutely incredible job of building their neighborhood into something unique and prosperous. Their success is attracting new businesses to the neighborhood--end of story. Taste in coffee, like taste in sports teams, is an individual thing. I've had plenty of good cups of coffee--some from chains, some from independent shops--and no one is forcing you to go to Starbucks are they? Support the businesses you want to support, keep them in business, help them thrive--why are you even concerned about whether or not someone wants to go to Starbucks? I'll happily participate in a Forum (and argue the issues)--but all I'm seeing here is an anti-establishment rant.

fastcars, you must have misread my post. And just to clarify, it wasn't posted in response to you. Just a general observation.
If I'm the only one who sees the similarities, then slap me silly. People buy things, not because they're the best, will last the longest, taste better or offer better service. But because they've been brainwashed into buying x product through the media. Whether it be coffee or houses.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 4:28 AM

Quote:
--but all I'm seeing here is an anti-establishment rant.
That is all I ever see from raisethehammer. I don't particularly like Starbucks either, but I have no problem with people enjoying it.

RTH seems to have an obsession with steering people to small stores/businesses at whatever cost. Independent does not necessarily equal good product and big business does not necessarily equal poor product.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 12:20 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
That is all I ever see from raisethehammer. I don't particularly like Starbucks either, but I have no problem with people enjoying it.

RTH seems to have an obsession with steering people to small stores/businesses at whatever cost. Independent does not necessarily equal good product and big business does not necessarily equal poor product.

STOP THE PRESS! BC Ted just came on here to disagree with me!
And of course, add nothing to yet another discussion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues