HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 7:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Whatever the case, the USDOT has now specifically told Walker that Wisconsin's rail grant money cannot be spent for other non-rail purposes in the state (link to PDF), as Walker hopes to do. USDOT would take the money (and Wisconsin would have to reimburse them for money already spent), and it would be re-appropriated for high speed rail projects in other states.

Thats a quite the letter.....From LaHood

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 3:24 PM
Show me the blueprints

Short and to the point. If anything LaHood should have been a little more threatening. This guy Scott Walker needs to get bitch slapped.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 3:40 PM
BANNED

I suspect all GOP will fight tooth and nail now, it is part of their national agenda to harm the economy and even their own state to make Obama a one termer.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...train-no-money

Feds: No train, no money

JULIE CARR SMYTH,AP Statehouse Correspondent • November 9, 2010

Comments (150) Recommend (4) COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio's incoming Republican governor is sticking with plans to scrap high-speed rail, a decision the federal government said will cost the state millions of dollars.

John Kasich, who succeeds Democratic Gov. Ted Strickland in January, asked Strickland on Monday to immediately cancel all passenger rail contracts to save taxpayer money.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 3:45 PM
BANNED

http://www.biztimes.com/blogs/milwau...onomic-treason

Canceling high-speed rail is economic treason

Posted on November 09, 2010 9:04 AM

By Robert Kraig

Governor-elect Scott Walker’s ill-advised campaign posture to cancel the high-speed rail project that is already under construction would cost Wisconsin up to 15,000 family supporting jobs and up to $100 million at a time when both jobs and revenue are desperately needed.

Walker got a lot of campaign mileage out of this issue as a supposed example of wasteful government spending, but now that he actually will have to govern, cancelling the project at this stage makes absolutely no sense, even if you believe his arguments against the project.

Walker’s campaign posturing now threatens thousands of construction and permanent jobs, and will cost Wisconsin much more money to cancel than continue. Given the desperate need for jobs in Wisconsin, and the severe fiscal crisis the state faces, cancelling the high speed rail line amounts to economic treason.

Not surprisingly, other governors are already beginning to line up to request the job-creating money for their own states. Governor-elect Andrew Cuomo in New York has already put out a statement asking for the money to create good high-speed rail jobs for New Yorkers.

First, let’s review the jobs that will not be created if Walker cancels the high-speed rail project. If it is cancelled, it will cost Wisconsin an estimated 4,732 construction jobs. In addition, research on the economic impact of high-speed rail concludes that when the full project is completed, including the link from Madison to Minneapolis, that 9,570 permanent jobs will be created.

Policymakers estimate it will cost Wisconsin between $57 million and $100 million to buy out of the project. The maintenance costs Walker railed against in the campaign are substantially lower than this! Walker projected $7.5 million per year during the campaign, but most analysts think it will be much less. If the federal government pays the same percentage of maintenance costs it now pays for the Hiawatha line between Milwaukee and Chicago, the cost to Wisconsin will only by $750,000 per year, which is a tiny fraction of the state transportation budget.

In addition, the City of Milwaukee spent $10 million to buy the blighted Milwaukee site where the high speed trains are being built by Spanish manufacturer Talgo, and has invested an additional $6 million to upgrade the facility. Talgo has made it clear that they are unlikely to stay in Milwaukee if the Wisconsin high speed train project is cancelled. As a result, Milwaukee would lose the anchor manufacturing facility needed to spur re-development of the blighted Tower Automotive/A.O. Smith site on the near north side.

Given the nearly 15,000 construction and permanent jobs that would be created by the federal investment in Wisconsin in high-speed rail, and the high fiscal cost of cancellation, it would be incredibly short-sighted for Governor elect-Walker to follow through on his campaign posture just to provide more red meat for right-wing talk radio audiences. It amounts to economic treason at a time when everyone, regardless of political and ideological perspective, should be working together to bring desperately needed family supporting jobs back to Wisconsin.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 4:04 PM

The WI and OH money should be sent to IL to add more track to the St. Louis route and purchase the Talgo cars (who should also be encouraged to move manufacturing here, we have plenty of underused industrial sites).

New York should get all the ARC money and the Florida money (if it becomes available).

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 4:56 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.suntimes.com/news/transpo...110910.article

Illinois: We'll take Wisconsin's $810M in stimulus money
BY MARY WISNIEWSKI November 9, 2010

...“We’d love to have it,” said Illinois Transportation Secretary Gary Hannig. He said Illinois, which has already received $1.2 billion in high-speed rail funding, could spend Wisconsin’s money making further improvements to the Chicago-St. Louis corridor to add more passenger runs.

The money also could be used to build stations in Joliet and Rockford, Hannig said.

...He also would like to see trainmaker Talgo, Inc. move here. Talgo has said it can’t promise to stay in Milwaukee if the state rejects the rail project.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 5:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ so not only might we steal their federal rail money, but we could also steal manufacturing jobs from them as well? hahahaha

stupid cheeseheads voting in a tool like scott walker. their loss could be illinois' big win!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 9:19 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
stupid cheeseheads voting in a tool like scott walker. their loss could be illinois' big win!
^ Seconded.

Can I be an honorary Illinoisan? PLEASE?? Pretty please??!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 10:05 PM

Here is Walker's response to LaHood.

Note especially the last paragraph, in which he is trying to make a case that the Federal government should reallocate ALL of the HSR grants (not just Wisconsin's, but ALL of the others, too) for highways and roads instead.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 10:16 PM

if Wisc doesn't want it, it makes sense to me to shift that $810 million to the south of the lake reroute, which also applied for HSR funding and would run about that same cost.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 10:21 PM

^ South of the Lake Reroute is an excellent suggestion. Also any of the 5 CREATE projects that affect HrSR and Metra. Or how about the WLTC.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 10:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ what's this "south of the lake reroute" you guys are talking about. links?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwerve View Post
if Wisc doesn't want it, it makes sense to me to shift that $810 million to the south of the lake reroute, which also applied for HSR funding and would run about that same cost.
With the impending doom of the Ohio system the South of the Lake Reroute loses most of it's importance.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ what's this "south of the lake reroute" you guys are talking about. links?
essentially a passenger corridor for Chicago-east routes including Michigan services and long distance east coast routes.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26406642/S...the-Lake-Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052
With the impending doom of the Ohio system the South of the Lake Reroute loses most of it's importance.
well the 3-C route wouldn't have benefited from this, but later phases would have (will be?). I'd argue the biggest benefactor for the route isn't Ohio but Detroit.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
essentially a passenger corridor for Chicago-east routes including Michigan services and long distance east coast routes.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26406642/S...the-Lake-Study

well the 3-C route wouldn't have benefited from this, but later phases would have (will be?). I'd argue the biggest benefactor for the route isn't Ohio but Detroit.
The long term goal for the SoTLR was the future connection to 3C as I recall.

I'd much rather the money get spent on the STL route or accelerating the completion of CREATE which will help everyone.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
The long term goal for the SoTLR was the future connection to 3C as I recall.

I'd much rather the money get spent on the STL route or accelerating the completion of CREATE which will help everyone.
I believe a portion of the SoTLR would go to at least one CREATE project, specifically Grand Crossing (the 63rd St. Flyover already got funded) and would affect all Michigan services, Capital, Cardinal, Lake Shore, and to a lesser degree, Illini/Saluki, and City of New Orleans services.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I believe a portion of the SoTLR would go to at least one CREATE project, specifically Grand Crossing (the 63rd St. Flyover already got funded) and would affect all Michigan services, Capital, Cardinal, Lake Shore, and to a lesser degree, Illini/Saluki, and City of New Orleans services.
My understanding was that the Englewood flyover had to be complete before the rest of the Grand Crossing work (which is till planned to happen) can start.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
My understanding was that the Englewood flyover had to be complete before the rest of the Grand Crossing work (which is till planned to happen) can start.
I believe your correct. My basic point in bringing it up at all is that its a project nearby that costs about the same amount, already applied for HSR funds and benefits the same region, makes sense to me.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 1:41 AM
THAT Guy

I guess a disadvantage of being in the Midwest

Wisconsin, Ohio, now maybe Iowa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Brans...html#idc-cover

Branstad Says He's Undecided on Rail Plans
By Steve Gravelle

Governor-elect Terry Branstad has his doubts, but he’s apparently not as ready as some other newly elected Republicans to cancel plans for new Amtrak service to the state.

“We want to carefully look at it and make a thoughtful decision,” Branstad said today. “I’m not going to make any quick decision on that. We will do a very thorough review and analysis of that.”

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 1:59 AM
BANNED

The GOP govs are getting marching orders from the top to stop rail. Florida will be next. Iowa may not want to stop rail but they probably will not have a choice for their gov is a GOP.

They are trying to make this an election issue, esp in WI, OH, Florida, and Iowa. Those states economy will continue falter. Illinois, NY, CA getting these rail funds are exacty what the right wants. So even if we get all of these states funds we win and lose if Obama loses in 2012. The right wants a modern day Jimmy Carter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Here is Walker's response to LaHood.

Note especially the last paragraph, in which he is trying to make a case that the Federal government should reallocate ALL of the HSR grants (not just Wisconsin's, but ALL of the others, too) for highways and roads instead.

Read that last paragrah it is quite telling what they are trying to do and it may be sucessfull, unfortunately.

Video Link

Walker used this Bush depression and this rail issue.

[

Last edited by bnk; Nov 10, 2010 at 2:17 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation