HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 7:05 PM

So we want change. Then why would I vote for either Conservative parties. WR being run by Rod Love with other former Klien Tories in the back room, along with former Social Credit.

I looked at the candidates and not the leaders.
WR scares me, Linc Byfield is another that needs more focused attention.

Redford is not much different but maybe cleaning the old boys out will help. just which old boys do we get with either party.

If we trully want change then we need to bite the bullet and dramatical shift in our politics.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 7:12 PM
Great White Norf

What do you guys/gals think about the Alberta party?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Xeon View Post
What do you mean "Oh and ALSO", that is the same story that was mentioned days ago. It is good to out this type of stuff but there is no need to recycle the same thing over and over and act as if it is new in order to attempt to make it seem like there are tons of things taking place in the party that are just wrong.

Whats next? Breaking news, a PC worker comments on Danielle Smith's lack of children?

Find some new fodder.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamps View Post
I want a change and I don't like how Redford won the PC leadership race... I voted for Nenshi and that Edmonton WR preacher sounds like a real wingnut but damn the torpedos, I'm voting Wildrose....
Yep. the Wildrose NEEDS to get rid of their religious nutjob MLA's. There are not many, but pastors should not be polititcians. I expect some of the problem was that the Wildrose is relatively new and could not yet draw a entire crew of top notch MLA's to run for this election. I expect that will change after this election and if the PC party loses as bad as it seems they might alot of their MLA's might jump ship to the Wildrose allowing the Wildrose to cut out some of the less political savvy members with purely religious adgendas.

The Wildrose needs to get this one thing clear, Alberta likes fiscally conservative politics with strong economic growth and social program money spent only in the important areas but we do NOT want religiously motivated government decisions or the marriage of state and religion. Keep religion OUT of politics in this province and country.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
WR being run by Rod Love with other former Klien Tories in the back room
That is actually a huge positive. Rod Love is a smart guy and was with Klein through the golden years of his reign and quit at the peak of that era. He quit the PC party because of the recent terrible decisions that party has made on leaders and the fact that they lost there way.

Going with "old" tories like Rod Love is a big change because people like him bailed on the PC party pre-Stalmach because they no longer believed in the PC party. We have not had a strong PC party for well over a decade now. It WOULD be a change to go back to an actual strong PC-like party now, and Redford's PC's certainly are not that anymore, not even close.

Mason's ideas about moving away from coal fired power plants is simply terrible, what is he going to replace that power with? Wind? The green energy that is Hydro that decimated fish stocks of the Pacific by damming up rivers like the Columbia and allowing 1/10,000th the number of fish to spawn as once could. Natural Gas? That WILL be a major source of electricty moving into the future but it releases two things when burned, CO2 and H2O.

That said, CO2 CAN be used in many ways to enhance oil recovery. I wonder how many people in the general public know that Canada is actually piping IN CO2 from a USA coal fired plany in order to pump that CO2 into Saskatchewan's Bakken tight oil play. Like Canada does not have their OWN CO2 we could use, we are actually piping it in from the USA... THIS is idiocy when you have Alberta and industry here ALREADY spending $15/tonne for CO2 emmisions.

CO2 causes warming of the planet, that is pretty much universally accepted. What is NOT universally accepted are the effects of the warming. Media likes to make the instant jump from "ok so the globe is warming so massive hurricanes, massive droughts, huge floods, ect... will obviously be the result". But that is where the disconnect is, the effects of higher levels of CO2 are nowhere near proven and TBH have hardly been studied at all compared to the studies targetting whether anthropogenic global warming is actually occuring at all (it is).

Also unknown is the amount of the warming that is associated to the CO2 and how much could be caused by other factors, some also human derived. The existence of heat islands is well known and more scientifically accpeted then even AGW. Cities produce heat. For Canada that heat is small when compared to the total area of the land, for places like China, Europe, parts of the USA, ect... it is more significant. That heat is constantly produced and it disipates across the globe. We have 24/7/365 heating of this planet occuring from cities that never stop emmiting heat energy.

One of the most potent greenhouse gases is H2O, water. Most of that so called "smoke" you see coming out of stacks at plants and industry is actually water vapour, steam. Those are all tiny little humidifiers that run 24/7/365 and put more H20 into the atmosphere then is natural. A FAR larger increase in water vapour in the atmopshere is from irrigation. Modern farming takes both ground water and lacustrian/fluvial water and uses it to water huge crops across massive stretches of this planet. Evaporation of ground water when it is IN the ground is very limited, evaporation rates from a lake or river are determined in part by the surface area of the water body.

When you take any of that water and you blast it out of a sprinkler all over a crop you are causing a MASSIVE increase in surface area of that water and creating far more evaporation of that H2O into the atmosphere and that H2O now in the atmoshpere acts as a greenhouse gas. H2O is cyclic, if you run a humidifier in your house for a while the humidity will go up but you can turn that humidifier off and eventually the humidty reverts back to a normal natural state. The world is the same, but humans NEVER shut the humidifiers off, we have them running 24/7/365 and we have been doing so for many decades now. That produces a higher then normal amount of H2O in the atmosphere and sorry to say that is part of what causes global warming.

Now, the sad thing is Danielle Smith does not know this stuff. Her knowledge of the ACTUAL science behind this is limited and she goes on sound bites and bits of info she has been told. If she actually knew about this stuff in alot more detail she could debate the issues with people like Raj and Redford and they would not actually have a prayer of keeping up in the debate because their own knowledge is about as lacking, only they take the other biased side of the debate and take their sound bites from other people on the other side of the fence. The sad thing is that ALL of them have no actual clue and instead have to have people tell them what science says, instead of looking at the journals and going to presentations and talks from the actual scientists and seeing what THEY are actually saying.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Mason's ideas about moving away from coal fired power plants is simply terrible
Stephen Harper's government has mandated that change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
I don't think it will survive past this election. But I could be wrong.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
Good idea, bad timing. They're being buried in the Wildrose/PC struggle and haven't had any sort of voice. If they seriously wanted to make any inroads in this election, they should have started getting their message out months ago. Still, barring a major Liberal resurgence (which looks unlikely), I don't think this election will kill them. Depending on the outcome, watching from the sidelines for the next four years may even prove advantageous.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Stephen Harper's government has mandated that change.
Regardless, it is a bad idea. Harper has been a good PM IMO but on this point if he is actually spearheading the move away from coal fired power in Alberta he needs to rethink that one bigtime.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 1:49 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Regardless of what everyone thinks of them or their crazy MLAs, unless some extremely damaging gaffe takes place between now and next week, they look like they're set to win:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/04/2...ll-in-wildrose

The funny thing is a lot of rural Albertans are decrying Redford for "Liberal" policies that would get her labeled as a tea partier here in Ontario. By Wildrose voter standards, McGuinty would be a commmunist. As an outsider looking in on this election, Redford seems to be the most reasonable and balanced candidate, despite a few flaws... if she loses, can we have her?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 3:01 PM

Redford needs to go because of the last budget. With oil above $100, the surplus should be massive. Alberta overspends by at least $10B per year.

She also said she would be open to working with the NDP, which is orders of magnitude more frightening than the irrelevant social values of candidates who at best would be at the back of the back benches.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 3:57 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
She also said she would be open to working with the NDP, which is orders of magnitude more frightening than the irrelevant social values of candidates who at best would be at the back of the back benches.
That would be an opinion not shared by many I would think. MLAs working together across party lines for the benefit of all constituents? Yeah, that's just horrible....

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Regardless of what everyone thinks of them or their crazy MLAs, unless some extremely damaging gaffe takes place between now and next week, they look like they're set to win:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/04/2...ll-in-wildrose

The funny thing is a lot of rural Albertans are decrying Redford for "Liberal" policies that would get her labeled as a tea partier here in Ontario. By Wildrose voter standards, McGuinty would be a commmunist. As an outsider looking in on this election, Redford seems to be the most reasonable and balanced candidate, despite a few flaws... if she loses, can we have her?
You'll be pretty surprised on Monday then!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
What I feel and what alot of others also say about her is that she comes off as the most arrogant, opinionated and stubborn person we have had in power in a long time, even more so then Stalmach. She is almost the sole proponent of the changes to the DUI laws and is working hard to push that into law against the wishes of the vast majority of Albertans as well as against the vast majority of her own party. She admits as much, in a lecture she gave in Calgary she admitted that most people did not want that change but that she did not care and felt too strongly about it and would force it through anyhow.

She comes off as a arrogant and opinionated dictator. She has been nicknamed the "Red Queen" by a few people I have talked too and when I heard that little nickname I could not help but think it fits her to a T.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 8:06 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
That would be an opinion not shared by many I would think. MLAs working together across party lines for the benefit of all constituents? Yeah, that's just horrible....
Haha, no kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
She is almost the sole proponent of the changes to the DUI laws and is working hard to push that into law against the wishes of the vast majority of Albertans
You mean lowering the limit to 0.05%, which, outside of North America and the UK is pretty much standard throughout the developed world (if not more lenient; Sweden's limit is 0.02% and a DUI charge can lead to six months in prison). I can name at least one other proponent of such changes: myself.

Last edited by Ayreonaut; Apr 21, 2012 at 9:52 PM. Reason: Changed a semicolon to a colon

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 8:41 PM

BC deaths from drunk driving dropped by almost 50% once they brought in their 0.05 law.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 11:14 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
What I feel and what alot of others also say about her is that she comes off as the most arrogant, opinionated and stubborn person we have had in power in a long time, even more so then Stalmach. She is almost the sole proponent of the changes to the DUI laws and is working hard to push that into law against the wishes of the vast majority of Albertans as well as against the vast majority of her own party. She admits as much, in a lecture she gave in Calgary she admitted that most people did not want that change but that she did not care and felt too strongly about it and would force it through anyhow.

She comes off as a arrogant and opinionated dictator. She has been nicknamed the "Red Queen" by a few people I have talked too and when I heard that little nickname I could not help but think it fits her to a T.
The way you described her, she almost sounds like the female version of Dalton McGuinty. He also really loves restrictive motoring laws and big spending. But aside from that and her support for the Land Stewerdship Act, what exactly are people so terribly angry about? She hasn't really introduced anything that's been financially infeasible (all-day kindergarten) or downright destructive (Green Energy).

It's not that I'm trying to belittle anyone, I'm just curious as to why one part of the country is so proactive while my own home province is so apathetic.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 2:50 AM
Calgary Martindale

threehundredeight.com

I don't know if this has been posted before. It seems to be a credible site.

For those of you who would like to see a breakdown of polls by your riding. They have a link to all, riding by riding, 'Alberta Ridings Projections'. The site is also covering the Ontario and BC elections.
http://threehundredeight.com

It is important to me because I intend to vote strategically. For Alberta, they indicate that the site will be updated late Sunday night or early Monday morning.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:05 AM

I wouldn't trust that site. It is almost a pure mathamatical model, and makes some wonky predictions. Like David Swann and Kent Hehr coming in third.

It is really hard to predict swings when riding boundaries have changed and who is in contention has changed a lot (Liberals out in most of the province, Wildrose in).

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:16 AM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
I wouldn't trust that site. It is almost a pure mathamatical model, and makes some wonky predictions. Like David Swann and Kent Hehr coming in third.

It is really hard to predict swings when riding boundaries have changed and who is in contention has changed a lot (Liberals out in most of the province, Wildrose in).
Fair enough, but it was the only site that I could find that projected all ridings. Given the 'likely', small sample sizes, the margin of error could be huge. Still, I'm dealing with a dearth of information, not being privy to internal polling.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:29 AM

Where do you live and what is your goal?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia