HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19 View Post
Still looks like two towers stacked on top of a 3-story suburban strip mall. It could look better if the material at the base was a limestone or something along those lines.
As a building type, suburban strip malls are typically single-level and self-contained, with a parking lot in the middle of all the blocks. The arrangement here is multi-level, with an opening down the middle that creates a public plaza and pathway to what is down below (i.e., the Federal Court House). Nothing like a suburban strip mall.

As to the material of the base, it is not clear what the material will be. It looks to me like concrete panels. In which case, there is already an elegant precedent for that on Bunker Hill, the base of California Plaza 1 & 2.

As to the towers, they are subtle, but not ordinary. The boxes are stacked and setback in such a way as to diminish the massive appearance of the buildings or to give them unique silhouettes. On top of that, the facades are a mixture of curtain walls styles which together produce the "fish scale" effect for which Gehry is well known.

It is good work and Gehry is right, it doesn't look like "everywhere else."

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:39 PM

So many haters of this project on the comment section of the Times. Talking about how it doesn’t compliment the broad or Walt Disney.. and that the parking garage now looks better than the development lol

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:56 PM

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post
It looks to me like concrete panels.
I hope it's better than that, but I think you may be correct. If so, that obviously will be a case of value engineering since concrete is a cheaper material than a stone facade.

Unpainted gray concrete may be hip rawness to some architects, but to me it just about always looks like 'we ran out of money!!' Colored or painted concrete is not too much better.

beyond that, I hope bunker hill across from disney is able to attract lots of shoppers....serious ones in particular....to compete with all the other sections of dt where retail will be located.

I'm unsure about the large shopping area under the 3 towers of the oceanwide proj across from Staples ctr. Lots of serious shoppers will be needed to support that & the renovated May co bldg on broadway.

in terms of design, I've never understood why Fig at 7th has never included benches & planter boxes on its various concourses....a fear of attracting homeless ppl? A desire to not spend more money for installation & maintenance? It has always looked incomplete & barren to me. Ppl waiting for other ppl shopping in a store also have no place to easily sit & spend time on their iphones or reading a book. I hope the Grand Ave proj at least will be aware of such things.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
We'll see. How many times have we heard this? I like your optimism but why can't they start now if they are "moving forward?"

I also thought this development was going to go all the way to Hill Street, but I guess not. Too bad.
I actually never heard -> "We will be fully under construction in early fall". That would have been impossible.
They didn't even submit the demo application until November 2017.

Things are looking very good right now. Don't take my word for it.. take theirs.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 9:48 PM

Anyone know when the last crane on the Metropolis site will come down?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Ive thought about this a lot. I live a few blocks from skid row (and have for 9 years now)...
Takes me back. I remember when you used to post here and wanted to move downtown but hadn’t yet. Back when you had the Drew Carey avatar. I think that you originally wanted the Roosevelt. Back then I wanted metro 417 but I’m glad that I ended up in South Park.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:37 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Excited that one of downtowns largest dead zones will be gone but this is the ugliest design yet
I don't think it's any better or worse than the previous versions. This project is a 'whatever' for me; it's our version of the Time Warner Center.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 2:29 AM
Paramoderator

tbh this might be gehry's ugliest building yet

EDIT: From the LA Times Article:

"The delay helped improve the project, Himmel insisted. Five years ago, there was a “disconnect” between what Gehry wanted to build and what Related could pay for, he said. “The budget wasn’t in line.”

Since then, Gehry has found ways to reconcile his vision with costs, Himmel said, and the prolonged burst of downtown development including housing, hotel and entertainment projects has attracted upscale restaurateurs and retailers who can afford to pay top rents. “All that translates to higher revenues” for Related, Himmel said, “which allows us to build a better project.”

For his part, Gehry said he can now “live within the constraints” of Related’s budget and believes the Grand will stand out from other big mixed-use developments downtown."

Basically proof that this was value engineered to death and we are getting the worst iteration.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
tbh this might be gehry's ugliest building yet. Basically proof that this was value engineered to death and we are getting the worst iteration.
it wouldn't have been so difficult to both break ground well before many yrs have passed since the original announcement....since Frank Gehry & others involved with this proj have become so much older & grayer....& to also stick with a more fully funded version if dtla had been attracting more of this....

Quote:
Apple is moving into Culver City.

The technology giant has agreed to lease the entirety of Lincoln Property Co.’s 128,000-square-foot building at 8777 Washington Boulevard in Culver City, The Real Deal has learned. Terms were not disclosed. HBO was set to be the sole tenant leasing at the site, but those plans fell through

these are additional renderings. the 2nd one from the top does make me uneasy & admittedly underwhelmed. the 3 terraced bldg with the 'keystone' sign on it makes me think of a shopping mall from the 1980s. I'm also concerned that it will be tough for stores to survive when they're a floor or two above the main level. Ppl are hesitant to drop into shops when they're not as conveniently located as possible.

LAtimes.com / Gehry Partners / Related Cos.

I mentioned it before, but dtla is still paying a price for having taken so long to get cleaned up & made nicer. I wish that weren't the case, but ask why Apple & other silicon bch companies....& all the businesses in areas like glendale, century city, the OC.....favor offices far away from dt.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:19 AM

I'll add my contribution of pictures of Downtown taken Saturday...

_1200012.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

This was taken from Beacon Hill(it's the hill just west of the 5 at the Los Feliz exit). Thought ya'll needed a view from the north.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:01 PM

The Gehry Project looks awesome. I can't wait to see this go up! :-)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19 View Post
Still looks like two towers stacked on top of a 3-story suburban strip mall. It could look better if the material at the base was a limestone or something along those lines.
I know 3 architects that are familiar with this project. They all said in their own variation of words that this will be a “wow” factor when done and a place that’ll always be photographed when showing different landmarks of the city.

I personally can see how this wil look amazing and I hope other development spurs up from this project.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinglendaleca View Post
i'll add my contribution of pictures of downtown taken saturday...

_1200012.jpg by billinglendaleca, on flickr

this was taken from beacon hill(it's the hill just west of the 5 at the los feliz exit). Thought ya'll needed a view from the north.
beautiful

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Love this park. Just wish that it were closer to South Park. Was there Monday and the water in your photo was already gone. I imagined that the bridge was designed to look over a small pond, but unless it’s just rained it looks over a bunch of rocks.
The park has basins of rock designed to collect and hold rain water, and slowly let it seep in to the water table below. Unfortunately rain fall this year has been historically low. Give it a few years, and these piers and bridges should overlook water year round.

LAStateHistPark_SitePlan by Brett Thomas, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:36 AM

https://www.urbandaddy.com/articles/...=8045&slide=13

More images of the space for what may be the most important restaurant opening DTLA has ever had.

Also Modern Times Brewery is opening in DTLA today. With Majordomo opening in Chinatown soon (could be argued to be even more important than Nomad) this part of town is hitting the new year hard with a wealth of restaurant openings.

https://la.eater.com/2018/1/22/16919...es-open-inside

Last edited by ocman; Jan 23, 2018 at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post

More images of the space for what may be the most important restaurant opening DTLA has ever had.
It's even more spectacular in person. To say this raises the bar for downtown is a huge understatement. I hope Angelenos fully embrace this space and encourage future development to meet this standard.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post

Also Modern Times Brewery is opening in DTLA today. With Majordomo opening in Chinatown soon (could be argued to be even more important than Nomad) this part of town is hitting the new year hard with a wealth of restaurant openings.

https://la.eater.com/2018/1/22/16919...es-open-inside
NoMad LA is a NYC import, and Majordomo is essentially the same. They're big names, and it's exciting that they're in DTLA.

HOWEVER, they don't raise the bar (Shibumi and 71Above are already on par). Furthermore, Simone in the Arts District will be the most important opening of the year. A female chef, who is an LA native, and is opening an original concept.

http://laist.com/2017/07/17/chef_jes...-anticipat.php

https://la.eater.com/2018/1/18/16906...gs-winter-2018

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
NoMad LA is a NYC import, and Majordomo is essentially the same. They're big names, and it's exciting that they're in DTLA.

HOWEVER, they don't raise the bar (Shibumi and 71Above are already on par). Furthermore, Simone in the Arts District will be the most important opening of the year. A female chef, who is an LA native, and is opening an original concept.

http://laist.com/2017/07/17/chef_jes...-anticipat.php

https://la.eater.com/2018/1/18/16906...gs-winter-2018
Majordomo is an original. Chang may be a New Yorker, but this is definitely an LA restaurant. It’s not Momofuku part 2. It’s like Keller opening Per Se after French Laundry, not another Bouchon.
With the NoMad project, it may duplicate some dishes they have in NYC, but that’s not the reason to discount it. This feels wholly different from other imports. It’s important because DTLA has not seen this level of money nor attention invested into a restaurant. It’s whole other level of money, and at a price range that’s really going to test whether DTLA is “ready” for this type of money clientele. Neither Shibumi nor 71Above are on par in level of investment, nor price range, nor world-class reputation of the owners involved. 71Above feels like a tenant restaurant, whereas NoMad and it’s restaurants feel completely inseparable, planned out along with the Giannini Place renovation. Also Shibumi had to build it’s reputation. It didn’t open up to the level of fanfare that Majordomo nor the Nomad are going to.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 6:19 AM

I honestly think the Grand Ave Project would look a lot better if they kept the different shapes but made both sections the same amount of stories. The top part is sort of.. odd looking. The extra stories on the right side looks like an afterthought. Cut it off or even it out between the two, it would look soooo much better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations