HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 8:36 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Tickets are on sale...opening in March.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Hudson Yards observatory dares visitors to live life on the ‘Edge’

By Lois Weiss
October 24, 2019

Quote:
There’s a new observation deck in town — and it’s not for the faint of heart.

The 100th floor observatory at the top of 30 Hudson Yards boasts a 7,500 square-foot triangular outdoor terrace that will be open to visitors in March. Dubbed the Edge because it juts out 80 feet from the top edge of the tower and is surrounded by glass walls — this place is sure to become a selfie hotspot.

On a clear day, you can see 80 miles out and across every borough, to the Long Island Sound into Connecticut, down New York harbor to the Statue of Liberty and New Jersey, and up the Hudson River past the George Washington Bridge northwards into the foothills of the Catskill Mountains
Quote:
The tremendous, 7,500 square-foot triangular outdoor terrace and stairs are completely bounded by the glass enclosure allowing for the almost uninterrupted views and blocking the stronger winds that would otherwise make you grab for your hat.

Head to the southeast corner of the deck, and you’ll feel like you’re on the prow of a ship, with the tall and short buildings creating the waves below. Lean into the nine-foot high clear glass barricade slanted 6.6 degrees outwards to safely check out the street and rooftops below.

Most impressive however, is the unique, 225-square foot glass triangle in the floor where only the bravest guests will stand, sit or lie down — likely to click some selfies — with the actual street 1,131 feet below.
Quote:
There’s also a grand outdoor staircase where visitors can sit and take in the sunshine and grab a bird’s eye view of the Empire State Building’s own observatories.

Debuting in March, tickets go on sale Thursday, Oct. 24. Online adult tickets are $36, $31 for a child and $34 for a senior or New York City resident with higher charges on site but other discounts available for veterans and groups.

The stairs will bring visitors to the Peak eatery on the floor above, operated by rhubarb for lunch and dinner. Although others will review the food once it opens, those who miss Windows on the World at the old WTC will rejoice in the upcoming restaurant.

Anyone eating or attending an event on the 101st floor will also be able to skip the observatory fee and stroll around from 8 am until the deck closes, expected to be at midnight. Champagne, cocktails and small bites are also available on the 100th floor so you can bring your flute outside and toast the town.

Exhibits and elevator experiences, a souvenir shop and other surprises will be revealed next year.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 5:43 PM
Development Shill

Cool to see One Vanderbilt poking out over there

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 7:36 PM

The Edge tickets are on sale ... the web site is open and taking reservations as of March 11. The stairs everyone seemed to discuss are part of the admission!

Tickets:
https://edgenyc.com/

Info:
https://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/discover/edge

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 25, 2019 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 1:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 27, 2019 at 1:30 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 2:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Cropped some renderings of the deck to go with those awesome deck photos...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:38 AM
New Yorker for life

It's inevitable that this scene ends up in a popular movie, making this one stand out a little in the competition among New York's observation decks.

And who doesn't love a good deck scene..

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 2:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Don't know if it's a job I would want...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4LgNtunPC_/

But can't wait to get to this spot...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:29 PM
Metal Up Your !

OMFG. Being at the very tip, where the empty space is between the glass panels, would probably bring the highest euphoria one can feel staring down 1000+ feet. Just imagining the feeling gives me a sense of excitement.

This building's observation deck makes me very anxious to get to NYC!!!

When I first visited NYC 6 years ago, and I got to the observation deck of Rockefeller, and saw the vast city before me, I broke down and sobbed and weeped. It had been my dream come true. To see this city, a monument of human excellence, greed, progress, and intellect. All things, good or bad, have given us this gift we call NYC. God bless America!!!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 12:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
OMFG. Being at the very tip, where the empty space is between the glass panels, would probably bring the highest euphoria one can feel staring down 1000+ feet. Just imagining the feeling gives me a sense of excitement.

This building's observation deck makes me very anxious to get to NYC!!!

When I first visited NYC 6 years ago, and I got to the observation deck of Rockefeller, and saw the vast city before me, I broke down and sobbed and weeped. It had been my dream come true. To see this city, a monument of human excellence, greed, progress, and intellect. All things, good or bad, have given us this gift we call NYC. God bless America!!!

Well said. I can't wait to get up there. Though video of the glass floor makes me a little nervous, I'm sure it will be a great experience, and give us unique views of the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 5:37 AM
JoeCooper

You gotta hand it to those in marketing. The tower itself is 92 floors yet the observatory is on the 100th floor which is still over 100 feet below the tip. That wouldn't quite be the same 100th floor at 1WTC which is shy of 1,300 feet and at a higher elevation than the 100th floor of the original Tower 1. They know the average laymen without much knowledge of skyscrapers will fall for it. Which actual level is the observatory on? It's confusing. One Vandy is kinda doing the same putting the observatory on a floor in the 70's or 80's in a 58 floor building. They must be skipping all the floors with 4's or 13's these days.

Last edited by CHAPINM1; Oct 31, 2019 at 9:48 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 9:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Michael Young

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 10:43 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

15 + 35 =

Ebony & Ivory

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 1:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
You gotta hand it to those in marketing. The tower itself is 92 floors yet the observatory is on the 100th floor which is still over 100 feet below the tip. That wouldn't quite be the same 100th floor at 1WTC which is shy of 1,300 feet and at a higher elevation than the 100th floor of the original Tower 1. They know the average laymen without much knowledge of skyscrapers will fall for it. Which actual level is the observatory on? It's confusing. One Vandy is kinda doing the same putting the observatory on a floor in the 70's or 80's in a 58 floor building. They must be skipping all the floors with 4's or 13's these days.
Welcome to the modern world. That's old news now though. But at over 1,100 ft, that would be considered 110 stories for reporting purposes. It's always generally assumed that 100 ft = 10 stories. That's the old way of thinking at least. These days with the higher ceilings and mechanical floors, I'd go with the marketing of the "height". After all, that is the purpose of the observatories.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 1:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 1:59 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its like something out of the Jetsons.

Credit: Michael Young

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:34 PM

Best part of that shot is bottom third.

Still see this as a border-line fail for NYC.

As a voting shareholder of Brookfield Properties (our Canadian developer export to the world)... I must say not good enough for NYC. Wonky and unin(spired). Apologies..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive