HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:50 PM

Here's another goodie:

Highway 17 between Antrim & Arnproir is a complete floating stub and disconnected portion of Highway 17. Yet it's still signed as Highway 17 even though Highway 417 runs parallel to it. I understand it's a phased expansion of Highway 417, so everything is within the last 10 years.

At the north end of where Highway 17 "ends" in Arnproir, you have a Highway 17 ends tab, and on the same pole, you have a "TO 417" and better yet, a "TO 17" tab.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.42508...7i13312!8i6656

So you're telling me highway 17 "ends" here, but if I turn here, I can keep going towards Highway 17? But I thought it ended, meaning I'm as far east or west as I can possibly on the route. (in Ontario, there are now multiple highways that now have a gap in them. Highway 3, 4, 7, 8 are ones I can think of quickly)

Why not remove the Highway 17 designation in its entirety, and in this case, download the road, and if that's not an option, designate it as a 7000-series highway, meaning, the highway has no formal number. Perhaps its in progress, but looking at Google Maps and Streetview, it's been this way for a number of years already.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 7:31 PM

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:18 PM
User Registered

Oshawa is soon to be surrounded by freeways

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:39 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Oshawa is soon to be surrounded by freeways
Well, not exactly "Free".

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:40 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Worst highway bottlenecks, according to CAA

by Canadian Press
Posted Jan 11, 2017 7:51 am EST

A report commissioned by the Canadian Automobile Association has identified Canada’s 20 worst highway bottlenecks. The CAA report says the top 20 were found in just four cities – Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Quebec City.

1. Toronto, Highway 401 between Highway 427 and Yonge Street

2. Toronto, Don Valley Parkway/Highway 404 between Don Mills Road and Finch Avenue

3. Montreal, Highway 40 between Boulevard Pie-IX and Highway 520

4. Toronto, Gardiner Expressway between South Kingsway and Bay Street

5. Montreal, Highway 15 between Highway 40 and Chemin de la Cote-Saint-Luc

6. Toronto, Highway 401 between Bayview Avenue and Don Mills Road

7. Toronto, Highway 409 between Highway 401 and Kipling Avenue

8. Montreal, Highway 25 between Avenue Souligny and Rue Beaubien

9. Vancouver, Granville Street at SW Marine Drive

10. Vancouver, W Georgia Street between Seymour Street and W Pender Street

11. Toronto, Highway 401 between Don Valley Parkway and Victoria Park Avenue

12. Toronto, Black Creek Drive between Weston Road and Trethewey Drive

13. Toronto, Highway 401 between Mavis Road and McLaughlin Road

14. Montreal, Highway 40 between Highway 520 and Boulevard Cavendish

15. Vancouver, Granville Street between W Broadway Street and W 16th Avenue

16. Montreal, Highway 20 near 1re Avenue

17. Quebec City, Highway 73 between Chemin des Quatre Bourgeois and exit to Avenue Dalquier

18. Toronto, Highway 401 interchange at Highway 427

19. Toronto, Highway 400 at Highway 401

20. Vancouver, George Massey Tunnel on Highway 99
http://www.1310news.com/2017/01/11/w...according-caa/

Not to be too nitpicky, but 401 between 427 and Yonge is a pretty long stretch of bottleneck. They may have been better served to pinpoint that a little better.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:46 PM

more lanes less congestion

Last edited by GreaterMontréal; Jan 11, 2017 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:40 PM
Insertoronto

Oshawa will soon be Canada's second city with a full ring road.. who knew?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:43 PM
Insertoronto

Worst bottleneck I can think of is 404 southbound onto DVP, and 401 from 427 to 400 (especially 427 to 409)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
the 2nd CMA, because Longueuil has a ring road since a very long time.

with the new A-930 , the loop goes as far as La Prairie.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 11:38 PM

Interesting list. For the Vancouver "winners", the prominence of Granville Street is interesting, but not surprising surprising as it is one of the three feeder routes into the downtown peninsula from the south over False Creek and all of the municipalities south of the city proper (Richmond, Delta, Tsawwassen, (South) Surrey, and White Rock). However, it's the locations of the bottlenecks that interesting, because they illustrate the classic problems with "stroads" (portmanteau of street [purpose is to support adjacent land uses and maximize land values] & road [purpose to move vehicles as quickly as possible and in the greatest volume allowable]). They are incompatible purposes and stroads do both poorly.

Granville Street is a route that is expected to act in some places as a road (and technically carries a provincial highway designation in places [Hwy 99]), while in other places it's an urban retail high-street.

For the section noted as #15 (Granville Street between W Broadway Street and W 16th Avenue), Granville Street is functioning as an urban retail high-street (https://goo.gl/maps/QhZA19RYGZN2). It's supporting one of the most successful retail neighbourhoods in the city that can command excellent rents and boasts low vacancy, a-list tenants, and an authentic sense of place. It's worth noting, too, that there is a couplet of bypass streets immediately adjacent to this section of Granville Street (Seymour and Fir) that connect with Granville Street and tie into their own on-off ramps to the Granville Street Bridge. This has been the preferred routing for through-traffic since the third (the current) Granville Street bridge was built in 1954. Unsurprisingly, taxis prefer to take the slower, direct route straight down Granville Street and pick up a few bucks on the meter as a result from out-of-town arrivals on airport-CBD runs.

For #9 on the list (Vancouver, Granville Street at SW Marine Drive), Granville Street functions as an urban arterial highway and backs up southbound as cars merge from three travel lanes down to one on-ramp lane for the Arthur Laing Bridge (https://goo.gl/maps/AHFCcEhaiAr). Northbound, traffic backs up as Granville Street switches back to being an urban retail high street with heavy signalization and on-street parking (https://goo.gl/maps/Vpy9n7C7fVL2). There is also a perennially large volume of traffic that intends to take Southwest Marine Drive west towards UBC, which is another stroad of sorts that runs through a wealthy residential neighbourhood before turning into a 80kph highway to UBC.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
http://www.1310news.com/2017/01/11/w...according-caa/

Not to be too nitpicky, but 401 between 427 and Yonge is a pretty long stretch of bottleneck. They may have been better served to pinpoint that a little better.
That whole section is bad. Really, to break it up would not really do it justice.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The expressway that runs from Orleans in the east of Ottawa to Kanata in the west (most of it provincial Highway 417 but east of St. Laurent it's municipal Highway 174) is still commonly referred to as the Queensway by most people and in traffic reports.

"The 417" for the expressway in the heart of Ottawa may be gaining a bit of traction in common parlance, but it's still the Queensway appellation that dominates.

When most people think of the 417, they think of the portion of the highway that's outside the city in Eastern Ontario, especially the portion east of Ottawa going towards Montreal.
This is true, but it's starting to change especially amongst the younger generation and more people are just calling it "417".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Even if almost all of the signs referring to the "Queensway" have been removed, there are still a few of them around. I noticed a large one near the Bayshore mall over the holidays.
I know exactly what sign you're talking about! It's this one here and it's a real blast to the past:

Not only does it say "Queensway" with no mention of the 417 number at all... it's also in English only. Based on those two factors it probably dates back at least 40 years.. quite possibly to the original opening of the freeway in the 1960s. It's font is also different from every other highway sign in Ontario... must be whatever font was standard back then. Strange that it was never replaced.

I'm pretty sure that's the only sign in the city that still mentions "Queensway", though. There used to be on Lees Avenue until not too long ago, but it was recently replaced.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Worst bottleneck I can think of is 404 southbound onto DVP, and 401 from 427 to 400 (especially 427 to 409)
That section of the 404 is awful. A friend of mine has to drive that every day due to where he lives and works. Public transit is not an option for him as driving is still significantly faster, even at rush hour.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:27 AM

Quote:
That's because it goes from an 18-lane collector-express system in Mississauga to 8/10 through lanes at the 427/409, going back to a 12-lane collector-express system at Islington.

The 427/401 interchange is a mess. Unfortunately, it probably would cost $1 billion just to fix the interchange and connect the 2 C/E systems on the 401.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:16 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Here's another goodie:

Highway 17 between Antrim & Arnproir is a complete floating stub and disconnected portion of Highway 17. Yet it's still signed as Highway 17 even though Highway 417 runs parallel to it. I understand it's a phased expansion of Highway 417, so everything is within the last 10 years.

At the north end of where Highway 17 "ends" in Arnproir, you have a Highway 17 ends tab, and on the same pole, you have a "TO 417" and better yet, a "TO 17" tab.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.42508...7i13312!8i6656

So you're telling me highway 17 "ends" here, but if I turn here, I can keep going towards Highway 17? But I thought it ended, meaning I'm as far east or west as I can possibly on the route. (in Ontario, there are now multiple highways that now have a gap in them. Highway 3, 4, 7, 8 are ones I can think of quickly)

Why not remove the Highway 17 designation in its entirety, and in this case, download the road, and if that's not an option, designate it as a 7000-series highway, meaning, the highway has no formal number. Perhaps its in progress, but looking at Google Maps and Streetview, it's been this way for a number of years already.
Interesting.. City of Ottawa approved renaming this to "Madawaska Boulevard" almost a decade ago (continuing the name from Arnprior), but only once the transfer goes through. http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...E-BLD-0008.htm

It still shows up as part of the King's Highway in this regulation as well https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900619

There was a big expropriation case on this stretch of the highway that went to the Supreme Court, perhaps that delayed the transfer. A truck stop that was by-passed by the new 417 sued MTO for $8.2 million to cover the cost of their relocation. They ended up getting $393k.
http://www.lawnow.org/whatever-happe...lic-nuisances/

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:39 PM
Closed account

Quote:
What is the first? If Oshawa counts as having a ring road, surely Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton and Burlington/Oakville do too?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:23 PM
User Registered

Edmonton also has a ring road now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
That's because it goes from an 18-lane collector-express system in Mississauga to 8/10 through lanes at the 427/409, going back to a 12-lane collector-express system at Islington.

The 427/401 interchange is a mess. Unfortunately, it probably would cost $1 billion just to fix the interchange and connect the 2 C/E systems on the 401.
Only $1 billion? If so that's a totally justifiable project. Just think how much $ is lost in the economy due to traffic issues on this stretch. That $1 billion would be made back in a span of years, not decades.

The cost would probably be much higher, possibly as much as 3-5 billion and the time-frame of construction would really hinder traffic more until its complete.

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by haljackey; Jan 12, 2017 at 1:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:24 PM
User Registered

What? I posted this twice? Opps, sorry for the double post!

It's my first time on the site. Have mercy!

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by haljackey; Jan 12, 2017 at 1:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:12 PM
Insertoronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
What is the first? If Oshawa counts as having a ring road, surely Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton and Burlington/Oakville do too?
I recall everyone saying Edmonton was the first when they finished their ring road late last year. I believe most of the other cities claimed to not have ring roads due to the lake, and its based on CMA not municipal boundaries (maybe Hamilton could count?)

Honestly I didn't put that much thought into it haha.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Interesting.. City of Ottawa approved renaming this to "Madawaska Boulevard" almost a decade ago (continuing the name from Arnprior), but only once the transfer goes through. http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...E-BLD-0008.htm

It still shows up as part of the King's Highway in this regulation as well https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900619

There was a big expropriation case on this stretch of the highway that went to the Supreme Court, perhaps that delayed the transfer. A truck stop that was by-passed by the new 417 sued MTO for $8.2 million to cover the cost of their relocation. They ended up getting $393k.
http://www.lawnow.org/whatever-happe...lic-nuisances/
I think the delay in transferring has a more to do with the Mississippi River Bridge than anything else. The MTO will be replacing the existing truss bridge over the river in the next few years.

Just for interest sake, the regulations are often not tremendously accurate in their descriptions of King's Highways in Ontario. For example, if you look for parking restrictions under the HTA, there are several regulations for highways that haven't existed for decades.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada