HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:29 PM

Frank Gehry's $1-billion downtown project could finally be a go after a Chinese builder's $290-million investment

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...103-story.html

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Seems likely that Hollywood could have had a few buildings above 20 stories in the '20s, and maybe Westlake area and mid-Wilshire also. Long Beach (without the 150' limit) had at least one building above 250' in the late '20s, and several more planned (apartment and office towers), but they weren't built when the Depression shut down construction.
One way to think about it is to consider other regional cities that didn't have the height cap. So, in Long Beach, you have a handful of tall, attractive buildings that exceed what could be built in LA at the time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Riviera and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Center_Building being the two most prominent (and I imagine there were more that have perhaps been torn down since.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._in_Long_Beach

Some LA buildings were allowed to break the height limit. Most notable https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Columbia_Building (because the top was a clock tower) and the sadly demolished https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richfield_Tower

All in all, I think there certainly would have been a handful of more, slightly taller buildings in downtown, but nothing an order of magnitude different.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:50 PM

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
Frank Gehry's $1-billion downtown project could finally be a go after a Chinese builder's $290-million investment

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...103-story.html
so 20 story hotel, 39 story residential and 8 destination restaurants... Get er done.. Could it have been more? Yes, much more. But i actually think it looks pretty good. My only complaint is the height and loss of more potential housing units

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
so 20 story hotel, 39 story residential and 8 destination restaurants... Get er done.. Could it have been more? Yes, much more. But i actually think it looks pretty good. My only complaint is the height and loss of more potential housing units
Gehry projects tend to improve when he's given plenty of time to reflect back. Happened with Disney Hall too. But what a huge 10 year f-k up this process was. Related should have never won the bid. And it should have been taken away from them sometime during those 10 years. Maybe fk-ups are expected considering Eli Broad helped steer the committee.

I remember when this was such an exciting project that was supposed to alter the skyline. Now everyone just wants something built. Whatever it is.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Gehry projects tend to improve when he's given plenty of time to reflect back. Happened with Disney Hall too. But what a huge 10 year f-k up this process was. Related should have never won the bid. And it should have been taken away from them sometime during those 10 years. Maybe fk-ups are expected considering Eli Broad helped steer the committee.

I remember when this was such an exciting project that was supposed to alter the skyline. Now everyone just wants something built. Whatever it is.
i agree completely. Its not ambitious enough and could have been so much more, but it is what it is

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Which one of those buildings housed the offices of Duke & Duke Commodities?
The real building is Fidelity Bank, 135 South Broad Street. Not sure which one it is in the picture, but it should be close to city hall, which you can see.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Peter Zumthor may feel the need to rework his plans for LACMA now. The two designs are somewhat superficially similar, at least at the exterior.
Two different design philosophies.

Yansong's work has been compared to that of Hadid. Zumthor's work to that of Kahn.

One is more a sculpture to be seen in the round. The other an aggregation of spaces and materials to be experienced.

One is more an architecture of the future, the other an architecture with almost primitive roots.

One will be more like Walt Disney Hall, the other more like the LA Cathedral.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:37 AM
Top Retributor

Frank Gehry's Grand Avenue Project finally moving forward is the best news I've heard in a long time. This + the Lucas Museum + now San Diego Chargers are moving to LA, What? LA's on a roll.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Frank Gehry's Grand Avenue Project finally moving forward is the best news I've heard in a long time. This + the Lucas Museum + now San Diego Chargers are moving to LA, What? LA's on a roll.
This isn't a plus, at all. Just saying.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:53 AM
Top Retributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
This isn't a plus, at all. Just saying.
You mean about the Chargers moving? Well I actually agree with you there.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:19 PM

Hey all. Has anyone noticed that the lot at 4th and Broadway has been torn up? Looks like groundbreaking is imminent for this project ✨

Last edited by hughfb3; Jan 12, 2017 at 3:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Hey all. Has anyone noticed that the lot at 4th and Broadway has been torn up. Looks like groundbreaking is imminent for this project ������✨
It's been that way for some time. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
It looks good in that it complements Disney Hall nicely but it's not a particularly impressive or exciting project on its own. Quite a disappointment. Oh well, at least there are about a dozen other projects in DTLA to be truly excited about.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post
Two different design philosophies.

Yansong's work has been compared to that of Hadid. Zumthor's work to that of Kahn.

One is more a sculpture to be seen in the round. The other an aggregation of spaces and materials to be experienced.

One is more an architecture of the future, the other an architecture with almost primitive roots.

One will be more like Walt Disney Hall, the other more like the LA Cathedral.
Of course. But the structural commonality (raised museum on individual gallery/communal bases) which was a unique feature of the LACMA design, and much talked about, is no longer unique to LA. It's not going to escape Zumthor's notice, especially as MAD's museum is likely being built first.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:40 PM
Ascension

Well..on the plus, LA has 2 football teams again. The minus is that we only want the Rams. The Chargers belong in San Diego. What a mess.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:33 PM

Please follow on Twitter @UrbanizeLA, Facebook and Instagram.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:47 PM
Ascension

Better get your tickets.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:03 PM

Cap the 101! That's all I want!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:04 PM

This feels wrong.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations