HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4101  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:29 PM
bobbyv bobbyv is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 260
Frank Gehry's $1-billion downtown project could finally be a go after a Chinese builder's $290-million investment

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...103-story.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4102  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:22 PM
cargocultpants cargocultpants is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Seems likely that Hollywood could have had a few buildings above 20 stories in the '20s, and maybe Westlake area and mid-Wilshire also. Long Beach (without the 150' limit) had at least one building above 250' in the late '20s, and several more planned (apartment and office towers), but they weren't built when the Depression shut down construction.
One way to think about it is to consider other regional cities that didn't have the height cap. So, in Long Beach, you have a handful of tall, attractive buildings that exceed what could be built in LA at the time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Riviera and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Center_Building being the two most prominent (and I imagine there were more that have perhaps been torn down since.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._in_Long_Beach

Some LA buildings were allowed to break the height limit. Most notable https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Columbia_Building (because the top was a clock tower) and the sadly demolished https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richfield_Tower

All in all, I think there certainly would have been a handful of more, slightly taller buildings in downtown, but nothing an order of magnitude different.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4103  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:50 PM
ChelseaFC ChelseaFC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 538
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4104  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 7:15 PM
LosAngelesSportsFan's Avatar
LosAngelesSportsFan LosAngelesSportsFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
Frank Gehry's $1-billion downtown project could finally be a go after a Chinese builder's $290-million investment

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...103-story.html
so 20 story hotel, 39 story residential and 8 destination restaurants... Get er done.. Could it have been more? Yes, much more. But i actually think it looks pretty good. My only complaint is the height and loss of more potential housing units
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4105  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:01 PM
ocman ocman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Paris
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
so 20 story hotel, 39 story residential and 8 destination restaurants... Get er done.. Could it have been more? Yes, much more. But i actually think it looks pretty good. My only complaint is the height and loss of more potential housing units
Gehry projects tend to improve when he's given plenty of time to reflect back. Happened with Disney Hall too. But what a huge 10 year f-k up this process was. Related should have never won the bid. And it should have been taken away from them sometime during those 10 years. Maybe fk-ups are expected considering Eli Broad helped steer the committee.

I remember when this was such an exciting project that was supposed to alter the skyline. Now everyone just wants something built. Whatever it is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4106  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:06 PM
LosAngelesSportsFan's Avatar
LosAngelesSportsFan LosAngelesSportsFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Gehry projects tend to improve when he's given plenty of time to reflect back. Happened with Disney Hall too. But what a huge 10 year f-k up this process was. Related should have never won the bid. And it should have been taken away from them sometime during those 10 years. Maybe fk-ups are expected considering Eli Broad helped steer the committee.

I remember when this was such an exciting project that was supposed to alter the skyline. Now everyone just wants something built. Whatever it is.
i agree completely. Its not ambitious enough and could have been so much more, but it is what it is
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4107  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:16 PM
mbb mbb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Which one of those buildings housed the offices of Duke & Duke Commodities?
The real building is Fidelity Bank, 135 South Broad Street. Not sure which one it is in the picture, but it should be close to city hall, which you can see.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4108  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:31 PM
LDVArch LDVArch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Peter Zumthor may feel the need to rework his plans for LACMA now. The two designs are somewhat superficially similar, at least at the exterior.
Two different design philosophies.

Yansong's work has been compared to that of Hadid. Zumthor's work to that of Kahn.

One is more a sculpture to be seen in the round. The other an aggregation of spaces and materials to be experienced.

One is more an architecture of the future, the other an architecture with almost primitive roots.

One will be more like Walt Disney Hall, the other more like the LA Cathedral.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4109  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:37 AM
ozone's Avatar
ozone ozone is offline
Top Retributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Golden Capitol
Posts: 1,970
Frank Gehry's Grand Avenue Project finally moving forward is the best news I've heard in a long time. This + the Lucas Museum + now San Diego Chargers are moving to LA, What? LA's on a roll.
__________________
“Skyscrapers! Unhealthy ugly giants! To live and work as close as to the land is a blessing! Remember, you are not a cloud! Come down and live on the ground!”
― Mehmet Murat ildan
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4110  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:50 AM
ChelseaFC ChelseaFC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Frank Gehry's Grand Avenue Project finally moving forward is the best news I've heard in a long time. This + the Lucas Museum + now San Diego Chargers are moving to LA, What? LA's on a roll.
This isn't a plus, at all. Just saying.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4111  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:53 AM
ozone's Avatar
ozone ozone is offline
Top Retributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Golden Capitol
Posts: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
This isn't a plus, at all. Just saying.
You mean about the Chargers moving? Well I actually agree with you there.
__________________
“Skyscrapers! Unhealthy ugly giants! To live and work as close as to the land is a blessing! Remember, you are not a cloud! Come down and live on the ground!”
― Mehmet Murat ildan
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4112  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:19 PM
hughfb3 hughfb3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 291
Hey all. Has anyone noticed that the lot at 4th and Broadway has been torn up? Looks like groundbreaking is imminent for this project ✨

Last edited by hughfb3; Jan 12, 2017 at 3:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4113  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:53 PM
scania's Avatar
scania scania is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA (DTLA)/Atlanta, Ga. (Midtown)
Posts: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Hey all. Has anyone noticed that the lot at 4th and Broadway has been torn up. Looks like groundbreaking is imminent for this project ������✨
It's been that way for some time. I'm not sure what's going on there.
__________________
It's a beautiful day!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4114  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:55 PM
bobcat bobcat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
so 20 story hotel, 39 story residential and 8 destination restaurants... Get er done.. Could it have been more? Yes, much more. But i actually think it looks pretty good. My only complaint is the height and loss of more potential housing units
It looks good in that it complements Disney Hall nicely but it's not a particularly impressive or exciting project on its own. Quite a disappointment. Oh well, at least there are about a dozen other projects in DTLA to be truly excited about.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4115  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:29 PM
ocman ocman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Paris
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post
Two different design philosophies.

Yansong's work has been compared to that of Hadid. Zumthor's work to that of Kahn.

One is more a sculpture to be seen in the round. The other an aggregation of spaces and materials to be experienced.

One is more an architecture of the future, the other an architecture with almost primitive roots.

One will be more like Walt Disney Hall, the other more like the LA Cathedral.
Of course. But the structural commonality (raised museum on individual gallery/communal bases) which was a unique feature of the LACMA design, and much talked about, is no longer unique to LA. It's not going to escape Zumthor's notice, especially as MAD's museum is likely being built first.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4116  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:40 PM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 4,960




Well..on the plus, LA has 2 football teams again. The minus is that we only want the Rams. The Chargers belong in San Diego. What a mess.
__________________
Washed Out
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4117  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:33 PM
blackcat23's Avatar
blackcat23 blackcat23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,226
__________________
Urbanize LA - Covering real estate development, architecture and urban planning in the Greater Los Angeles Area.

Please follow on Twitter @UrbanizeLA, Facebook and Instagram.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4118  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:47 PM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 4,960


Better get your tickets.
__________________
Washed Out
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4119  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:03 PM
Doctorboffin Doctorboffin is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 176
Cap the 101! That's all I want!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4120  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:04 PM
ChargerCarl's Avatar
ChargerCarl ChargerCarl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles/San Francisco
Posts: 1,414
This feels wrong.
__________________
This Machine Kills NIMBYs
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:21 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.