HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 3:31 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
I would say that the highway doesn't serve local traffic in Vancouver in that someone starting their journey in Vancouver would not take the highway to get to another point within Vancouver. You technically could since there is more than one exit but there would be no reason to use it in this way for 99.9% of the population.
Yeah I doubt anyone would use highway 1 to get around vancouver proper

Also there is only 4 km of highway in Vancouver proper boundaries, I would hardly say that it could serve local traffic properly

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 3:34 AM
Because it's 2015.

I hope that from now on, all of our metro statistics for Vancouver include Vancouver proper, so as not to suggest to people in Vancouver that all those cities around it are part of it, or something.

God forbid Vancouver is associated with the trashy likes of Surrey!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 3:59 AM
Vancouverite

God Forbid? 42.2% of Metro Van's population follow no faith.

Also the original thing was "Despite all the highways in the area, London is the largest city in North America that does not have a freeway to serve 'local' traffic."

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 4:59 AM
User Registered

Gotta say there's some great pics here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post

Also the original thing was "Despite all the highways in the area, London is the largest city in North America that does not have a freeway to serve 'local' traffic."
Correct. I guess I should have been clearer. While Winnipeg and Vancouver are comparable in this sense, there are a few freeway segments/stubs in these cities that are used by residents in the city/metro. In London's case, they're used for long distance traffic, bypassing the area altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Whitford, you need to see a picture of the basketweave. I looked around for a photo and couldn't find one. That is a very amazing highway feature.
Here's a pic of one of the basketweaves on Highway 401:

(From the Wikipedia Basketweave article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Basketweave)

Quote:
Is the 401 still the busiest highway in North America, or has the Santa Monica Freeway in Los Angeles regained its title from the T Dot?

Is there any other Canadian highway, that is as busy as the 401? In Montral perhaps?
Highway 401 is by far the busiest highway in North America, having volumes over 435,000 cars per day in some sections of Toronto. No highway in the US tops 400k. It may very well be the busiest highway in the world but there's no official stat to back this up.

Canada's second busiest highway is Highway 427 which sees a over 340,000 cars per day in some sections of Toronto.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 5:16 AM
Because it's 2015.

Well Winnipeg has no freeway at all, so, you know, like, whatever.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 5:41 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Well Winnipeg has no freeway at all, so, you know, like, whatever.
The Disraeli is called a freeway. And signs do not lie, ever.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
The Disraeli is called a freeway. And signs do not lie, ever.
Actually... Google maps never lies. And I don't see any of that bold yellowish/orange in Winnipeg!
(Why is that? Especially since Disraeli is labeled as freeway. Even Saskatoon and Regina have the bold yellow, indicating our modest 'freeways'.)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 7:10 AM

The island of Montreal have only one east-west corridor (Highway 40). We have the 20-720 axe but it is not totally completed in the east and that will probably never happen ...

The highway 40, called ''The Met'' Is very busy. As a truck driver in the city I can tell you that the traffic on the highway is very slow from 7am to 7pm. It is the busiest highway in Québec with around of 200 000 vehicles moving at the kilometer 67 (Between ''the two 15'')

Here a good picture took from the roof of a building close to St-Michel in eastern direction.

Source : Le calmar on Flickr

Kilometer 67, picture from Wikipedia

Last edited by patboy; Apr 13, 2011 at 7:20 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 10:30 AM
gettin' rich!

Wow... That picture of the basketweave is very impressive, and perhaps the defining image of the 401 in the GTA region. Didn't know it even had its own Wikipedia page. Now that is saying something.

Also I didnt know the 427 was the second busist highway in Canada, had always thought it was the autoroute in Montreal. And the volumes here are impressive. The size of these highways here is a direct result of the productive capacity of the Toronto centred Auto Industry, which relies on a "just in time" delivery system.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 1:03 PM
C'est quoi l'affaire?

Quote:
Considering that that interchange is in the middle of the city I don't really see a need for a sign saying where Toronto is located. You don't see Winnipeg or Kenora on directional signs here at all (example 1, 2), and Duluth doesn't appear until you get near the airport.
Your examples from the Thunder Bay area only point to how brutal Ontario provincial highway signage really is.

For starters, Winnipeg is in another province and Ontario signage is totally Ontario-centric. As a general rule, Ontario only posts destination cities (control cities in roadgeek talk) that are in Ontario. Unless it is impossible to do so. For example, the 401 control cities eastbound are Kingston and Cornwall, and you only get Montreal east of Cornwall once picking an Ontario destination would mean your control city is a cornfield. The 417 east from Ottawa has Montreal, but this is because the entire highway in its Ontario portion runs through farmers' fields pretty much.

And this is when there is a destination city on the signs. The photo I quoted has no destination city at all. It just says "416 TO 401". Of course, any tourist from Germany, China or Alabama intuitively knows that the 401 is "Ontario's main street" and runs to Toronto, right?

Plus, once you get to the Prescott junction between the 416 and 401, 100 km south of Ottawa, the signs don't point to Toronto or Montreal either. They point to Cornwall (eastbound) and Kingston (westbound). I guess MTO expects everyone in Wagga Wagga, NSW and Minsk, Belarus to know that Toronto lies west of Prescott!

It is equally bad in Toronto, where unless I missed it there is not one single directional sign pointing to Montreal in the entire GTA. Well, I think there may be a lone distance sign that has Montreal on it in the Port Hope or Cobourg area just as you emerge from the contiguous urban sprawl.

Anyway, signs on major highways are supposed to be for people who don't know the environs and need to find their way.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 1:24 PM

Quote:
The 401 is basically the only east-west corridor in Toronto, which is why it is so busy. Montreal on the other hand has more freeways spread out more evenly, and it isn't pushed up against a lake, so I don't think they have any roads that are as busy as the 401. Traffic going through Montreal has more options than traffic going through the GTA.
I'd count the QEW (Gardiner Expressway) and the 407 as E-W corridors as well, but I get your point. The 401 is the main public E-W corridor in Toronto.

And Caltrane, the 401 is still the busiest in the Western Hemisphere (not just NA) IIRC, Santa Monica freeway is still trailing.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 1:44 PM

Cootes Drive, connecting Hamilton and Dundas, the first divided highway in Canada (c. 1936)

Hwy 403 (Chedoke Expressway) Hamilton:

Claremont Mountain Access Hamilton:

I wish I had a better view of Burlington Street's double decker highway section (Hamilton):

Red Hill Valley Parkway (Hamilton) under construction:

Another view of the 401:

A cloverleaf interchange in Winnipeg (where it is said there are no highways):

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:03 PM

Fun Fact: The partial cloverleaf interchange (which is on most Ontario highways, I don't know about the rest of Canada), was first developed by MTO (Ontario Ministry of Transportation) and is becoming more popular than full cloverleaf interchanges.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:07 PM
gettin' rich!

This is the primary interchange design type in North America and also becoming moreso in Europe.

Way to go Ontario!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:07 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
A cloverleaf interchange in Winnipeg (where it is said there are no freeways)
Corrected for accuracy.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:13 PM
gettin' rich!

but i thought that's what you guys were saying?

There are no "highways" in Winnipeg, now it's no Freeways..? I don't get it, no one expects Winnipeg to have LA style Freeways, hell most of Canada doesn't even have that type of over-engineered and designed Freeway transport type and would not ever expect something so extensive to be built in cities here.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:31 PM
Closed account

Quote:
but i thought that's what you guys were saying?

There are no "highways" in Winnipeg, now it's no Freeways..? I don't get it, no one expects Winnipeg to have LA style Freeways, hell most of Canada doesn't even have that type of over-engineered and designed Freeway transport type and would not ever expect something so extensive to be built in cities here.
Calm down, caltrane. You of all people should know the difference between highway and freeway. Of course there are highways in Winnipeg; there are highways in every province in this country. But freeways, I mean a true freeway in the sense? No.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Whitford, you need to see a picture of the basketweave. I looked around for a photo and couldn't find one. That is a very amazing highway feature.

Is the 401 still the busiest highway in North America, or has the Santa Monica Freeway in Los Angeles regained its title from the T Dot?

Is there any other Canadian highway, that is as busy as the 401? In Montral perhaps?
I thought it is suppose to be the busiest in North America. Judging from that photo, I have no reason doubt those claims.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 4:24 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Your examples from the Thunder Bay area only point to how brutal Ontario provincial highway signage really is.

For starters, Winnipeg is in another province and Ontario signage is totally Ontario-centric.
In NW Ontario, Ontario's government has always been reluctant to do anything that would direct economic activity into Manitoba. So Highway 17 from the border to Kenora has remained dangerously two-laned and at one point the government cancelled a plan to connect Red Lake to Manitoba PR 314 (even though this would be important for forest fire evacuations).

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 4:32 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Calm down, caltrane. You of all people should know the difference between highway and freeway. Of course there are highways in Winnipeg; there are highways in every province in this country. But freeways, I mean a true freeway in the sense? No.
An extensive freeway network was planned in the 1960s but little of it was built: just the fragment now called the Disraeli as well as (much later) some sections of what was supposed to be called the Suburban Beltway, which became Bishop Grandin Boulevard and Kenaston Boulevard as well as Chief Peguis Trail, none of which are grade-separated. The Perimeter Highway was probably the most notable multilane city bypass route built in the 60s in Canada, however, and is sort of half a freeway in spots, although falling short of Ontario or U.S. standards.

There is simply no need for freeways in Winnipeg. Traffic moves well around the city and the radial pattern, with some very broad arterial roads, feeds traffic into the core much more efficiently than Toronto's grid can.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada