HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
On CTBUH, the height of the W Hotel is listed as 617 ft. Any reason for this?
Height of the old Waldorf Astoria development plan I believe and it just hasn't been updated yet. Developer confirmed the height is 582 feet.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Height of the old Waldorf Astoria development plan I believe and it just hasn't been updated yet. Developer confirmed the height is 582 feet.
Cool thanks Summers.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 5:19 AM

Am I the only one who thinks the distribution of Philly's MSA is way off? It seems it's robbed of SO much territory, population, and GDP by New York especially. New York has cities at outrageous lengths from itself added to its MSA, while several areas, particularly Mercer County and areas even before it are not included for Philadelphia.
It seems even more skewed to me due to the fact I'm right around NE Philly. It literally takes FIFTEEN minutes to drive from Trenton to Philly, even in fairly normal traffic. Princeton isn't much farther either. It's ludicrous for those areas to be omitted from Philly's MSA. Every other city in the U.S. would have them included and it wouldn't even be a question.
This doesn't even include areas like Reading and Allentown or Atlantic City, all of which arguably belong to Philly's MSA. Compare this to cities in the South and West (Houston, LA, etc.), which have such lax boundaries, and no wonder Philly sometimes looks likes it's doing poorly to outsiders when compared to those cities.
I think a significant change needs to be done here. Thoughts?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 5:52 AM
Your 2016 AAC Champs!

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks the distribution of Philly's MSA is way off? It seems it's robbed of SO much territory, population, and GDP by New York especially. New York has cities at outrageous lengths from itself added to its MSA, while several areas, particularly Mercer County and areas even before it are not included for Philadelphia.
It seems even more skewed to me due to the fact I'm right around NE Philly. It literally takes FIFTEEN minutes to drive from Trenton to Philly, even in fairly normal traffic. Princeton isn't much farther either. It's ludicrous for those areas to be omitted from Philly's MSA. Every other city in the U.S. would have them included and it wouldn't even be a question.
This doesn't even include areas like Reading and Allentown or Atlantic City, all of which arguably belong to Philly's MSA. Compare this to cities in the South and West (Houston, LA, etc.), which have such lax boundaries, and no wonder Philly sometimes looks likes it's doing poorly to outsiders when compared to those cities.
I think a significant change needs to be done here. Thoughts?
The MSA's are supposed to be based on commute sheds. But I agree, Philly gets robbed:

-A large part of Salem County, NJ (i.e. the part along the Delaware River north of Pennsville) is inarguably within the Philadelphia economic region. This region also hosts, if not a majority, at least a plurality of Salem County's residents
-If Salem Co. ought arguably be a part of the Philly MSA, then you can drop the "arguably" part for Cumberland Co., NJ. While Bridgeton is a bit disconnected from the regional transportation network, Vineland and Millville -- where most of the county's residents live -- are clearly within Philly's commuter belt.
-Mercer Co. is the toughest. The problem is that it has equal commute sheds to New York and Philadelphia, and MSA's aren't supposed to overlap.
-If Cecil Co., MD is part of the Philly MSA, then why is Kent Co., DE given its own MSA?

I'm generally okay with Berks, Lancaster, and Lehigh/Northampton counties, PA, and Atlantic/Cape May counties, NJ, being their own MSA's. Each has its own clear economic center (Reading, Lancaster, Allentown, and Atlantic City) that nevertheless has strong economic -- but not necessarily commuting -- ties with Philadelphia. (This second-level agglomeration could be considered the conceptual basis behind the Combined Statistical Area, or CSA.)

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 12:40 PM

Broad and Pine - Dranoff development
22 floors -292 feet
Hyde Hotel and luxury apartments with rooftop hotel.
Expected groundbreaking Q1 2017
Partner will be SBE - same as SLS
SLS is being held up due to state budget fiasco since the project received subsidies.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 12:51 PM
i heart philly

Quote:
22 floors -292 feet
SLS is being held up due to state budget fiasco since the project received subsidies.
Here's a link to the philly mag article

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...f/#gallery-2-1

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 1:10 PM

Quote:
22 floors -292 feet
damn, no action until 2017. That's a long way off.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:39 PM

Are there regulations or restrictions from the city if multiple construction zones are happening at the same time with close proximity. Will they have to wait to kick off another project if additional construction is too close and might restrict too much traffic?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
damn, no action until 2017. That's a long way off.
Makes sense. Q1 2017 is really only a little over a year away. By the time they finalize the design, acquire funding, receive zoning approvals and construction permits, etc.... that's about a year out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieStevens View Post
Are there regulations or restrictions from the city if multiple construction zones are happening at the same time with close proximity. Will they have to wait to kick off another project if additional construction is too close and might restrict too much traffic?
As far as I know, there are no regulations.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:47 PM

New thread created: Hyde Hotel & Residences - 292 ft - 24 floors
Broad and Pine

Thread link here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=220267

Last edited by summersm343; Dec 23, 2015 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 3:14 PM

Quote:
New thread created: Hyde Hotel & Residences - 292 ft - 24 floors
Broad and Pine

Thread link here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=220267
Does it need to be tagged so it shows up in the "Philadelphia Projects & Construction" list?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaldDeth81 View Post
Does it need to be tagged so it shows up in the "Philadelphia Projects & Construction" list?
Yes. An admin has to tag it. Mods cannot.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Yes. An admin has to tag it. Mods cannot.
Does MARK handle that , and if so , how often

.....Words that are heavy with trouble :
" Tinker to Evers to Chance ."

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
The MSA's are supposed to be based on commute sheds. But I agree, Philly gets robbed:

-A large part of Salem County, NJ (i.e. the part along the Delaware River north of Pennsville) is inarguably within the Philadelphia economic region. This region also hosts, if not a majority, at least a plurality of Salem County's residents
-If Salem Co. ought arguably be a part of the Philly MSA, then you can drop the "arguably" part for Cumberland Co., NJ. While Bridgeton is a bit disconnected from the regional transportation network, Vineland and Millville -- where most of the county's residents live -- are clearly within Philly's commuter belt.
-Mercer Co. is the toughest. The problem is that it has equal commute sheds to New York and Philadelphia, and MSA's aren't supposed to overlap.
-If Cecil Co., MD is part of the Philly MSA, then why is Kent Co., DE given its own MSA?

I'm generally okay with Berks, Lancaster, and Lehigh/Northampton counties, PA, and Atlantic/Cape May counties, NJ, being their own MSA's. Each has its own clear economic center (Reading, Lancaster, Allentown, and Atlantic City) that nevertheless has strong economic -- but not necessarily commuting -- ties with Philadelphia. (This second-level agglomeration could be considered the conceptual basis behind the Combined Statistical Area, or CSA.)
Good points all around, I agree with your concept of "second level" so some of the nearby cities not being in Philly's MSA are not as big of a deal as others. Though I do have to say, New York seems to have a 100-mile radius around it when counting MSA. Even for a city as large and significant as itself, their distribution seems like a huge stretch to me, especially when it's taking away from other significant cities like Philly.
Wasn't Mercer County also part of Philly's MSA formerly?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaldDeth81 View Post
Threads that are created that need to be added to this:

PHILADELPHIA | Hyde Hotel & Residences | 292 FT | 23 FLOORS
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...t=Philadelphia

CAMDEN, NJ | Riverfront Trade Center | Four Towers | 22 & 18 FLOORS
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ghlight=Camden

CONSHOHOCKEN, PA | Seven Tower Bridge | 14 FLOORS
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...t=Conshohocken

CONSHOHOCKEN, PA | One Conshohocken | 18 & 16 FLOORS
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...t=Conshohocken

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 4:45 PM

The Hyde Hotel is another boring Dranoff development. It looks like the Chancellor Apartments on 13th Street which is a 75 year old building.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper.Phanatic View Post
The Hyde Hotel is another boring Dranoff development. It looks like the Chancellor Apartments on 13th Street which is a 75 year old building.
It's literally "conceptual renderings." You guys crack me up when you bash designs that are literally massing models and nowhere near the final product.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 6:42 PM
Your 2016 AAC Champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta here View Post
Does MARK handle that , and if so , how often
MARK got de-admined some time ago. And, most recently, suspended.

Jasonhouse, KevinFromTexas, and JManc usually handle that stuff.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 6:59 PM
Your 2016 AAC Champs!

Quote:
Good points all around, I agree with your concept of "second level" so some of the nearby cities not being in Philly's MSA are not as big of a deal as others. Though I do have to say, New York seems to have a 100-mile radius around it when counting MSA. Even for a city as large and significant as itself, their distribution seems like a huge stretch to me, especially when it's taking away from other significant cities like Philly.
Wasn't Mercer County also part of Philly's MSA formerly?
Thinking about it a bit more, Kent Co. does have Dover -- home of Delaware State and the state capital. So there is more justification for it being its own MSA than my 2 AM thoughts. The problem is that Dover is a fraction the size of the region's other secondary cities.

Here's the deal with Mercer County: Historically it was primarily within Philadelphia's commute shed. While the mixing zone extends basically from Rutgers into Central Bucks, Princeton and Trenton were their own economic centers while West Trenton was part of Philly's commute shed. What's happened is that New York has "captured" Princeton and brought it into its own commute shed ... which is why I do not consider Princeton a part of the Philly region at all.

One possible solution would be to make Mercer Co. its own MSA. But internal commutes are also third behind both Philly-bound and New York-bound commutes. The spatial dividing line between the conurbations is quite narrow, and it quite literally lies halfway between Princeton and Trenton.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:05 PM

Quote:
It's literally "conceptual renderings." You guys crack me up when you bash designs that are literally massing models and nowhere near the final product.
Yeah I doubt the actual building will even look like that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations