HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
$60 million bible center planned for Independence Mall

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...ence_Mall.html
I hope I have not misunderstood the linked article; however, I fail to recognize how a single 40K ft*2 floorplan can generate redevelopment expense of 60M.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Not to be political, but I think "pro-business" might be a fairer term (and yes, i'm clearly aware of that overlap).
Must disagree. I am pro-business. I think the state needs to clean up its tax system, which could benefit everyone. However, when your idea of "pro-business" means giving all the power to the corporation and making things more difficult for the worker you're treading exclusively into right-wing territory. As mentioned by others, this legislation tilts things ever so slightly back towards the little guy. I believe history has shown that our economy works better when the middle class has more power.

Quote:
It's just another difficulty an employer has to go through in the process of hiring an employee. Plus filing for City Wage tax, business U&O, etc. etc.

If Philadelphia had a friendly business climate, I would be all for this. However, since Philadelphia has an unfriendly business climate, adding more stepping stones for an employer just seems like a bad move at the current moment. I know it's not much in the grand scheme of things, but doing anything to turn off businesses to the city at the current moment when we're finally gaining momentum is just a bad move.

And I voted for Hillary by the way.
I think what you're missing here is that businesses want to be where the talent is. This legislation makes Philadelphia more appealing for many. It may not look like it at first glance, but in the end it will help both sides of the coin.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrytsyu View Post
I hope I have not misunderstood the linked article; however, I fail to recognize how a single 40K ft*2 floorplan can generate redevelopment expense of 60M.
Right?!

What the hail are they planning? Solid gold toilets?

(Just because you have the money, doesn't mean you have to spend it.)

How about you trick out your 2 floor space for a still exorbitant 15 million and then take the other 45 million and build a homeless shelter. Like Jesus would have done.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
Actually, why is a 1 Story Development even in this Forum ???
We did discuss the abrupt eviction of the previous tenant - it was a daycare and it caught my boss off guard (his kid went there) as it happened over Christmas break with a big - surprise - we're not reopening and good luck finding a spot somewhere else over the holidays.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:05 PM

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrytsyu View Post
The Philly.com article was not clear on what the project will entail. It will be a highly technological museum with large digital displays, virtual reality, etc.

Quote:
The design of the multi-million dollar exhibit is being spearheaded by the firm Local Projects, which perhaps is best-known for its work on the 9/11 Memorial & Museum. While concrete details are lacking, we do know that it will be a very interactive, technology-driven exhibit.
http://philly.curbed.com/2017/1/11/1...-bible-society

Also, it didn't really cover the economic impact this project will have:

Quote:
It is expected to attract 250,000 visitors a year and become an international tourism attraction. The center could have an estimated annual economic impact of $10.5 million. Construction is expected to begin this spring with an anticipated opening in the fall of 2018.

Construction of the facility is expected to create 540 temporary jobs and have an $110 million economic impact, according to an analysis conducted by Econsult Solutions.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ry-center.html

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
The Philly.com article was not clear on what the project will entail. It will be a highly technological museum with large digital displays, virtual reality, etc.

http://philly.curbed.com/2017/1/11/1...-bible-society

Also, it didn't really cover the economic impact this project will have:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ry-center.html
Good. Build it. Sounds like a winner! I don't care what the subject matter is. People that don't like it don't have to go.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Good. Build it. Sounds like a winner! I don't care what the subject matter is. People that don't like it don't have to go.
Subject matter isn't the issue. It's the attempt to propagate false information.

If all the economic issues were the same but the group behind this was instead the Church of Scientology and they planned to explain how the founders loved Xenu and our country's founding documents were heavily based upon the teachings of the Church of Scientology, would you be ok with that?

Honestly not trying to start something here. I'm fine with this idea in principal. But the quotes in the article are deeply troubling and I think it amounts to a legitimate development issue. If this shows up and is not held to a scholarly standard, does it not detect from the legitimate museums it is surrounded by? And thus, is this actually a development that should be supported?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Subject matter isn't the issue. It's the attempt to propagate false information.

If all the economic issues were the same but the group behind this was instead the Church of Scientology and they planned to explain how the founders loved Xenu and our country's founding documents were heavily based upon the teachings of the Church of Scientology, would you be ok with that?

Honestly not trying to start something here. I'm fine with this idea in principal. But the quotes in the article are deeply troubling and I think it amounts to a legitimate development issue. If this shows up and is not held to a scholarly standard, does it not detect from the legitimate museums it is surrounded by? And thus, is this actually a development that should be supported?
You're thinking way to into this.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:07 PM

Quote:

It's their own moolah, then they can do whatever they want with it. If the baby Jesus wants the most cost-inefficient museum ever built, then that's what the baby Jesus will get.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:08 PM

ALOFT: Driving by the new Aloft site, I noticed that the brick work is finish and the scaffolding is down on the east side of the building. On the Arch Street side, a low-rise gap-filler is being worked on between that tower and the convention center. I didn't get a look at the Broad Street side.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
ALOFT: Driving by the new Aloft site, I noticed that the brick work is finish and the scaffolding is down on the east side of the building. On the Arch Street side, a low-rise gap-filler is being worked on between that tower and the convention center. I didn't get a look at the Broad Street side.
Yeah, that same structure wraps around to the Broad Street side. Glad they are filling in that gap.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:03 PM

Quote:

Leave it alone...it doesn't need support from the city or anyone else. It's a private development on private property that's privately funded. I was commenting purely from a development, tourism, and jobs perspective. You're going to get more post deletions too.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
It's their own moolah, then they can do whatever they want with it. If the baby Jesus wants the most cost-inefficient museum ever built, then that's what the baby Jesus will get.
Also of development concern is the fact that their activities are tax-exempt. So it's not just their moolah. It's also our moolah.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:27 PM

There's billions of christians on earth, they should all come visit this exhibit and spend their money here!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
Also of development concern is the fact that their activities are tax-exempt. So it's not just their moolah. It's also our moolah.
Non sequitur.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
There's billions of christians on earth, they should all come visit this exhibit and spend their money here!
That's the spirit! The intolerance of the "tolerant" is sad to behold. They'd be the first to cry foul if the shoe was on the other foot.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Leave it alone...it doesn't need support from the city or anyone else. It's a private development on private property that's privately funded. I was commenting purely from a development, tourism, and jobs perspective. You're going to get more post deletions too.
Whatever.

I don't really care who's paying for it. If a place is going to present itself as a museum and be located among the city's premier historical assets. It should have an obligation to present fact based information. Let thenm build their museum, but they should be held to a reasonable standard of historical accuracy.

For some here to claim I'm bigoted or intolerant for pointing out basic factual inaccuracies is absurd and offensive. Sorry but the Declaration of Independence had a primary author who wasn't even Christian and neither document was heavily influenced by the Bible. This isn't a matter for debate, we have plenty of first hand sources describing what actually influenced them!

Bottom line, I really don't think Washington DC would let an institution pop up by the mall amongst the Smithsonians if they were aiming to spread misinformation. That's the last thing I'll say on the topic.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:16 PM

It's a good thing that we have secular inquisitors to ferret out and suppress error. We wouldn't want anyone to claim a monopoly on truth or fact.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Whatever.

I don't really care who's paying for it. If a place is going to present itself as a museum and be located among the city's premier historical assets. It should have an obligation to present fact based information. Let thenm build their museum, but they should be held to a reasonable standard of historical accuracy.

For some here to claim I'm bigoted or intolerant for pointing out basic factual inaccuracies is absurd and offensive. Sorry but the Declaration of Independence had a primary author who wasn't even Christian and neither document was heavily influenced by the Bible. This isn't a matter for debate, we have plenty of first hand sources describing what actually influenced them!

Bottom line, I really don't think Washington DC would let an institution pop up by the mall amongst the Smithsonians if they were aiming to spread misinformation. That's the last thing I'll say on the topic.
I think it's pretty ludicrous to assert that the Bible didn't play a fairly significant role in the lives of most of the Founders, even if they weren't Christian. Clearly you've been reading too much revisionist history. And if it's a good development, which it seems to be, then it's a good development. Clearly you have something out for Christianity and/or the Bible for whatever reason. This isn't even a right wing or left wing issue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations