HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1001  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 1:51 AM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: University City, Philadelphia
Posts: 227
There's more development happening in Phoenixville. Here is Merchant Lofts III, a recently completed three-story 12 unit apartment building a block away from the main thoroughfare.



Down the street from that is the former borough hall, which is supposed to be replaced by Church Street Commons, a four-story 60 unit senior affordable housing development. It's not sexy, but it's a needed service and an improvement over what is there now.







A little outside of the borough is a development called 400 Westside. 21,000 s.f. of retail and 171 garden apartments. I don't have any construction pics, but the plan is below. They've preleased retail space to Duncan Donughts, a pet store, and some other business.



As for longer range planning, Phoenixville council recently endorsed a preliminary vision for the remaining undeveloped land on the old steel site. To accommodate the expected increase in demand, the plan focuses heavily on dense housing.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1002  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 11:20 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro (Norristown, PA)
Posts: 9,805
Phoenixville is really coming along! Each time I pass through or stop I am always impressed.
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today, and it ain't civilized...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1003  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 5:30 PM
Frontst17 Frontst17 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 93
It's amazing the changes going on. Moved to Pville in 98 and it was pretty bleak around town... Now new construction, new businesses, refurbishments, new people EVERYWHERE... Just need that train to come through!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1004  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 5:34 PM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: University City, Philadelphia
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
It's amazing the changes going on. Moved to Pville in 98 and it was pretty bleak around town... Now new construction, new businesses, refurbishments, new people EVERYWHERE... Just need that train to come through!
Right?? The train would do wonders for this town. One day... I believe it will happen at some point in my lifetime (I'm 20 now so we've got a while). The KOP extension is a good start, but seriously the 422 corridor needs a train.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1005  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 5:48 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Right?? The train would do wonders for this town. One day... I believe it will happen at some point in my lifetime (I'm 20 now so we've got a while). The KOP extension is a good start, but seriously the 422 corridor needs a train.
The line is already there and waiting, it just needs to have service restored.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1006  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 3:29 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro (Norristown, PA)
Posts: 9,805
Hopeful signs of a resurgence for Pottstown
Updated: JULY 31, 2016 — 5:16 AM EDT
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...Pottstown.html
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today, and it ain't civilized...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1007  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 7:07 PM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: University City, Philadelphia
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Hopeful signs of a resurgence for Pottstown
Updated: JULY 31, 2016 — 5:16 AM EDT
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...Pottstown.html
I'm glad somebody wrote this. Pottstown has a lot of factors working against the kind of revitalization seen in other towns. It's far away from employment centers and has relatively high crime, namely. But what a lot of people don't realize is that it's one of the largest urban areas in the region outside of Philly/Delco. Like I was saying a few posts ago, rail service along the 422 corridor to Reading would do wonders for Pottstown. That highway is the bane of my existence. Being connected to Philly, Reading, KOP and Phoenixville even would make it a much more attractive place to live.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1008  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 4:37 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Altar'd State
Anthropologie
BoConcept
Bonobos
Bottega Veneta
Carolina Herrera
Calligaris
Clarins
Diane Von Furstenberg
Jimmy Choo
Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams
MCM
Nic+Zoe
Oliver Peoples
Primark
Rag & Bone
Robert Graham
Shinola Detroit
St. John
Stuart Weitzman
Super Dry
Vince
Fendi will be coming to King of Prussia Mall.

http://www.simon.com/mall/king-of-prussia/stores
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1009  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 4:49 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Fendi will be coming to King of Prussia Mall.

http://www.simon.com/mall/king-of-prussia/stores
Primark opened in November in the old Sears space. Here's something specifically about the expansion (opening 18 August):
http://www.simon.com/king-of-prussia...ion-highlights
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1010  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 4:55 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Primark opened in November in the old Sears space. Here's something specifically about the expansion (opening 18 August):
http://www.simon.com/king-of-prussia...ion-highlights
Yes, I was there yesterday. Primark is open. DVF, St. John, Stuart Weitzman, Robert Graham are now open. David Yurman has already moved into it's new space, and Burberry will be opening a new expanded store as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1011  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 6:34 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Yes, I was there yesterday. Primark is open. DVF, St. John, Stuart Weitzman, Robert Graham are now open. David Yurman has already moved into it's new space, and Burberry will be opening a new expanded store as well.
Although it went from nice traditional menswear to plaid bikinis and doggie sweaters, I'd like to see Burberry back in Center City as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1012  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 6:39 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Although it went from nice traditional menswear to plaid bikinis and doggie sweaters, I'd like to see Burberry back in Center City as well.
I love Burberry. Nice watches, nice ties, etc. Would love to see them back in Center City as well. There are several stores in KOP that would do very will in Center City including Ted Baker, Robert Graham, etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1013  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 10:29 PM
skiesthelimit skiesthelimit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 45
Roughly 3 month update on Christiana Fashion Center in Newark, DE.

EDIT: I moved all the pictures to another album which can be viewed here, sorry about that: http://s499.photobucket.com/user/M_S...20Center/story

Last edited by skiesthelimit; Aug 3, 2016 at 1:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1014  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 2:27 PM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: University City, Philadelphia
Posts: 227
Chemours to Keep HQ in Wilmington

Quote:
Chemours Co. has decided to keep its headquarters in Wilmington, Delaware, ending speculation about where the DuPont spin-off would locate its corporate offices.

The decision to remain in Wilmington was expected as the company had been in discussions with state and local officials for months. As an enticement to keep the company, Delaware signed off in late May on $7.9 million for Chemours, which promised to keep nearly 1,000 jobs in the state for the next four years.

Though the company didn't specify where it will be located in Wilmington, many believe it will remain in the building it is in at 1007 Market St. and that some of the funds it received from the state would be used to renovate its current corporate offices.

In a statement issued Tuesday morning, Chemours (NYSE: CC) said its evaluation of where to locate took into consideration quality of life for employees, access to a strong talent pool, and a positive, long-term financial case for the company.
Well I suppose this is a win in that they are likely staying in Wilmington's CBD. I'd like to have seen them come to Philly of course but its important to have a strong Wilmington too.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Aug 2, 2016 at 2:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1015  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 2:45 PM
Boku Boku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post

Well I suppose this is a win in that they are likely staying in Wilmington's CBD. I'd like to have seen them come to Philly of course but its important to have a strong Wilmington too.
This New York Times article says it was "very close to moving to a new home in southern New Jersey or suburban Philadelphia."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/02/bu...-stories-below
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1016  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 2:49 PM
PHL10's Avatar
PHL10 PHL10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Chemous to Keep HQ in Wilmington



Well I suppose this is a win in that they are likely staying in Wilmington's CBD. I'd like to have seen them come to Philly of course but its important to have a strong Wilmington too.
Further, most urbanists would argue that it’s better for the region to have them in downtown Wilmington than Great Valley or Exton.
__________________
I am a liar.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1017  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 4:12 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Altar'd State
Anthropologie
BoConcept
Bonobos
Bottega Veneta
Carolina Herrera
Calligaris
Clarins
Diane Von Furstenberg
Fendi
Jimmy Choo
Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams
MCM
Nic+Zoe
Oliver Peoples
Primark
Rag & Bone
Robert Graham
Shinola Detroit
St. John
Stuart Weitzman
Super Dry
Vince
COS is coming to King of Prussia Mall

http://www.simon.com/mall/king-of-prussia/stores
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1018  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 4:36 PM
Cro Burnham's Avatar
Cro Burnham Cro Burnham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: delco
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Chemours to Keep HQ in Wilmington

Well I suppose this is a win in that they are likely staying in Wilmington's CBD. I'd like to have seen them come to Philly of course but its important to have a strong Wilmington too.
No big loss to us. My understanding is it's basically a zombie company that exists to unwind billions in potential health and environmental liabilities. Doesn't seem to me this the kind of company a city can build its future around.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1019  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 5:27 PM
TallCoolOne TallCoolOne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 1,050
I think even bigger news long-term for the Wilmington area might be the expansion of the Claymont train station and redevelopment of the old refinery just north of the station....

"The Claymont station serves about 1,200 weekday commuter rail riders but its century-old structures are deteriorating and not compliant with the Americans With Disabilities Act, officials said. It is the northernmost in Delaware with commuter rail linkages to Philadelphia and Wilmington.

The new station, with a Victorian brick facade, will have more parking and will be accessible to people with disabilities. It will be tucked between I-495 and the Pennsylvania state line along the railroad trucks just east of U.S. 13, a few hundred feet north of the current station.

The former Evraz Steel Mill is being transformed into a development called First State Crossing, a mix of offices, warehouses, and a logistics center for container shipping. St. Louis developer Commercial Development Co. estimates the 425-acre project could bring as many as 5,000 jobs to the area."

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...owth/87700644/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1020  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 9:30 PM
3rd&Brown 3rd&Brown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
I think even bigger news long-term for the Wilmington area might be the expansion of the Claymont train station and redevelopment of the old refinery just north of the station....

"The Claymont station serves about 1,200 weekday commuter rail riders but its century-old structures are deteriorating and not compliant with the Americans With Disabilities Act, officials said. It is the northernmost in Delaware with commuter rail linkages to Philadelphia and Wilmington.

The new station, with a Victorian brick facade, will have more parking and will be accessible to people with disabilities. It will be tucked between I-495 and the Pennsylvania state line along the railroad trucks just east of U.S. 13, a few hundred feet north of the current station.

The former Evraz Steel Mill is being transformed into a development called First State Crossing, a mix of offices, warehouses, and a logistics center for container shipping. St. Louis developer Commercial Development Co. estimates the 425-acre project could bring as many as 5,000 jobs to the area."

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...owth/87700644/
It's actually really interesting what's happening in that pocket of DE closest to the PA border. Down by the Claymont Train station across RT13 from Archmere Academy, there's a bunch of new urbanist/walkable development going in on what I assume was brownfields. The old steel mill is coming down and I assume will be a part of the above aforementioned development. The last piece would be to get rid of that horrid shopping center that houses Value City/Burlington Coat Factory (can't remember which one it is) and the entire area North and East of 95 will have been remade in the course of 10 short years. I like to poke fun at Delaware, but I give it credit where credit is due. This area, historically, has been poorer and more downtrodden then every other area of North Wilmington (which is uniformly pretty upper middle class). However, it is arguably the best situated area of North Wilmington due to it's proximity to transit. Hence, this transformation.

It is also testament to centralized planning. New Castle County doesn't really have townships with local authority the way PA counties do. It is more like Maryland and Virginia in having County Authorities, School Boards, etc. So, it (New Castle County) probably decided it was high time to remake and densify the area and voila. It got done.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:19 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.