HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Seeing parking podiums in downtown areas (Dallas, Austin, Houston, etc.) is sad to me...
Agreed.

Thankfully, more projects in Dallas are placing parking underground which is a huge step forward.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 1:49 AM
德克萨斯人 y'all

^ Yeah, I agree. I'm excited to see what is produced in Downtown, Uptown, Deep Ellum, and East Dallas in particular in the coming years/decades. The Design District is seeing a lot of growth also, right?

Is there any more traction on the streetcar plan throughout downtown? I've heard mentions about this over the years. I know they completed the Oak Cliff line (first phase, at least), but didn't they also have plans to connect the MATA and Oak Cliff, along with the DART stops, etc...? Is there any update on how DART and/or streetcars would connect to the future HSR station? I'm fascinated by the potential of Dallas and I think a lot of the guts are in place now to do something truly great, so long as corners aren't cut too much (i.e., not being truly committed to urban planning and infrastructure).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 2:24 AM
Hopeful Graduate

^^^ I'm not sure on the status of the street car expansion, but what I do know for sure is that there is a growing population in West Dallas and currently no rail line besides the current streetcar line that serves this area so expansion is inevitable in the near future.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 6:30 AM
德克萨斯人 y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymant View Post
^^^ I'm not sure on the status of the street car expansion, but what I do know for sure is that there is a growing population in West Dallas and currently no rail line besides the current streetcar line that serves this area so expansion is inevitable in the near future.
That'd be great!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:06 PM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic'EmBears View Post
Agreed.

Thankfully, more projects in Dallas are placing parking underground which is a huge step forward.
Could be worse. You could have those above ground parking garages that's connected to the buildings still going up even in Texas downtowns. Every last one of those garages are ugly and are eyesores.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:50 PM

One project that is masking their parking podium perfectly is 1900 Pearl across from Museum Tower. If you didn't see it U/C, you'd never know it's there once glass installation is complete.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymant View Post
^^^^ Wow that would be the first suburban project to truly catch me off guard! It's a parking podium tower, but it is nice to see this kind of density enter the suburbs.
I don't think it is appropriate to call Plano a suburb anymore. Plano has truly emerged into a city of its own standing.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshdodd View Post
I don't think it is appropriate to call Plano a suburb anymore. Plano has truly emerged into a city of its own standing.
According to the mayor it has and according to Frisco leadership, Frisco is the center of the universe. Plano is still a suburb and will continue for the foreseeable future. If it was not part of the DFW metro and part of the networks built for the greater metro area, it would not enjoy the successes it has built up over the years. Plano is my hometown, but it would not prosper as a stand along city because it is still primarily a bedroom community with a great school district and some elaborate business centers.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU Arch View Post
According to the mayor it has and according to Frisco leadership, Frisco is the center of the universe. Plano is still a suburb and will continue for the foreseeable future. If it was not part of the DFW metro and part of the networks built for the greater metro area, it would not enjoy the successes it has built up over the years. Plano is my hometown, but it would not prosper as a stand along city because it is still primarily a bedroom community with a great school district and some elaborate business centers.
Definitely would not prosper as a stand alone city but it's certainly starting to feel like a principal city in DFW. If it continues growing like it has we might have to rename it the DFWP Metropolitan Area. That sounds terrible.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 6:13 PM
Hopeful Graduate

Quote:
Plano definitely has grown in the coming years but stating that it is no longer a suburb is a little to far because if Plano is no longer a suburb then couldn't you the same for Irving, Frisco, or Richardson? I think the fact of the matter is that some of our suburbs are starting to become more relevant but they will always be suburbs of Dallas do them only gaining there relevance due to Dallas.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:03 AM
德克萨斯人 y'all

It's the same with other larger metros around the country. Many suburbs have matured into major players in their own right, but their original success is largely (if not entirely) due to their proximity to their respective principal cities.

I like the fact that DFW has multiple major employment centers (or "downtowns"). Given its massive size due to sprawl over many decades, it's nice to see density replace some of the original sprawl. Good for Plano - and Frisco, for that matter.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
could Plano really stand alone? No airport, no county courthouse, no federal offices.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:53 AM

Construction update 1/8/2017

Photos taken by me on my way to brunch.

Park District
[IMG]IMG_9752 by Roman Reyna, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9759 by Roman Reyna, on Flickr[/IMG]

1900 Pearl
IMG_9754 by Roman Reyna, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:25 PM

Billionaire, Joule creator, and Forty Five Ten developer, Tim Headington, has purchased the Davis Building.

I'm guessing Headington already has plans for the property.

Oilman Headington adds to Main Street holdings

Quote:
Dallas County deed records show that one of Main Street's biggest property owners - Tim Headington - bought the 90-year-old tower.

Originally built as the Republic National Bank building, the Davis Building was redeveloped in 2003 into a loft apartment complex.
Quote:
The Davis Building has 183 apartments and more than 50,000 square feet of retail space. There is a rooftop pool and garden.

The sale includes the attached 12-story, 587-space parking garage.
Project Location

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 1:27 AM

Downtown Grapevine will soon construct a hotel, observation deck, retail, and plaza at the TEX Rail platforms.

The selected hotel appears to be an Autograph Collection by Marriott.

TEX Rail will open the D/FW Int'l Airport and Downtown Fort Worth route late 2018.

Project Location

Here's the article

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 1:43 AM

Downtown Grapevine is such a nice place. This will be a very nice addition.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 5:34 AM
德克萨斯人 y'all

Great to hear about the progress with TexRail!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 2:53 AM

1/13/17

Pictures taken by me.
Bleu Ciel and Katy Station
[IMG]FullSizeRender by Roman Reyna, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]FullSizeRender-2 by Roman Reyna, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 3:27 AM

I'll put this here since the General Development threads garner less attention.

Via Parks for Downtown Dallas:

Quote:
Have you heard the latest? Pacific Plaza has been given the green light! The Dallas Park and Recreation Department is working with PfDD on a development agreement to design and build Pacific Plaza, the first of the city’s four new downtown priority parks.

Once the contract is approved, construction, which is estimated to take 20-24 months, will begin. Efforts to get bond dollars to assist in the creation of Carpenter Park, Harwood Park and West End Plaza will continue.

Project Location

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 7:39 PM

The former Dream Hotel lot at McKinney and Bowen has been presented with another hotel application.

Via Dallas City Plan Commission, pg. 3-1:

Quote:
1) the number of rooms will increase from 128 to 254 rooms, 2) the overall floor area will increase from 89,250 square feet to 195,302 square feet
Quote:
4) provide all parking underground.
Quote:
In addition, the proposed hotel development is limited to a maximum structure height to 155 feet.
It is also noted the outdoor pool will be located on the hotel's top floor.

Project Location

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations