Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 5:32 PM

Irish-born, 1861:

London 106,879 3.8%
Liverpool 83,949 18.9%
Glasgow 63,574 15.8%
Manchester 52,076 11.3%

http://thewildgeese.irish/profiles/b...sus-statistics

20th century Irish immigration to Britain was much more skewed toward London.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Irish-born, 1861:

London 106,879 3.8%
Liverpool 83,949 18.9%
Glasgow 63,574 15.8%
Manchester 52,076 11.3%

http://thewildgeese.irish/profiles/b...sus-statistics

20th century Irish immigration to Britain was much more skewed toward London.
Makes sense in light of there being a traditional Irish folk song Rocky Road to Dublin, covered by many Irish, American, British, Canadian bands through the years but originally written in the 19th century about an Irish man travelling to Liverpool.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 6:10 PM

The Scouse accent of Liverpool is said to be significantly by Irish immigration. Both John Lennon and Paul McCartney had Irish roots.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 8:20 PM

It's a bit of a stretch to say London in the early 20th century was "chock full" of Irish and Scots. Only about 1% each were born in Scotland and Ireland.

I doubt more than 5% of Londoners were of Irish ancestry then.

Pretty sure Jews were far and away the most "visible" ethnic group then. Although not a large percentage of the overall London population, the Jewish population was large and very concentrated.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 5:38 PM

Jewish population in selected European capitals, ca. 1930

Warsaw (1931) 352,659 30.1%
Greater London (1931) 233,991 2.8% (184,063 in County of London)
Budapest (1930) 204,371 20.3%
Vienna (1934) 176,034 9.1%
Paris (1931) 175,000*
Berlin (1933) 160,564 3.8%
Moscow (1926) 131,000 6.5%
Bucharest (1930) 74,480 11.7%
Amsterdam** (1930) 65,558 8.5%

* Unsure if this is for Paris proper only or Greater Paris.

** Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands even though the Hague is the seat of government.

Last edited by Docere; Apr 15, 2018 at 6:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Yes, Eastern Europeans love this term "Central Europe". They always want to be grouped with the Germanic countries and not the "backward" Balkans and Slavs. Too bad the actual "Central European" states don't use the term.

Yup. Hungary is in a very sad state right now. I really like Budapest and have been there twice, but probably won't visit until it again becomes a functioning democracy.
Quote:

Hungarians, at least the ones I've met, were often quite adamant about being from Central Europe, not Eastern Europe.

Of course fast-forward to today and Hungary has descended into one of the most xenophobic and anti-Semtic countries in Europe.
It's very interesting for me to find this absolutely STUPID and highly offensive opinions of two ignorants on skyscraperpage . Central European countries are in Central of Europe not Eastern ( go back to 3rd grade and look up ) and by calling """backward" Balkans and Slavs"" you just couldn't be more RACIST !!! And YES !!! all Central Europeans us the term of Central Europe not by meaning to be compared to Germany.
One more thing, calling proud Hungarians xenophobic and anti-Semtic without functioning democracy just proves my first sentence of who you are.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelra View Post
It's very interesting for me to find this absolutely STUPID and highly offensive opinions of two ignorants on skyscraperpage . Central European countries are in Central of Europe not Eastern ( go back to 3rd grade and look up ) and by calling """backward" Balkans and Slavs"" you just couldn't be more RACIST !!! And YES !!! all Central Europeans us the term of Central Europe not by meaning to be compared to Germany.
One more thing, calling proud Hungarians xenophobic and anti-Semtic without functioning democracy just proves my first sentence of who you are.
Sorry, I was just posted that to make sure I received a payment from puppet-master George Soros!

More seriously, I have no problem slamming Orban's "illiberal democracy", anti-Semitism and xenophobia. Sorry.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I was just posted that to make sure I received a payment from puppet-master George Soros!

More seriously, I have no problem slamming Orban's "illiberal democracy", anti-Semitism and xenophobia. Sorry.
So you shouldn't have a problem calling the same name USA and especially NYC where Jewish people are constantly under attack.
And btw Jewish people are escaping western Europe due to liberal socialsm. Sorry

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:02 AM

Quote:
So you shouldn't have a problem calling the same name USA and especially NYC where Jewish people are constantly under attack.
And btw Jewish people are escaping western Europe due to liberal socialsm. Sorry
Anti-Semitism exists everywhere, but it's ludicrous to suggest that the USA and NYC is as just as bad in terms of anti-Semitism as contemporary Hungary.

(Hoping that check from Soros arrives tomorrow!)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:07 AM

In Vienna in 1900, about 400,000 were born in the Czech lands, about a quarter of the population. The city also included about 140,000 from the Hungarian part of the empire, and 100,000 from Galicia.

In terms of those born outside Austria-Hungary, it included 23,000 German nationals, 4000 from the Russian empire and 2,500 Italians.

http://ww1.habsburger.net/en/chapter...-under-emperor

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Anti-Semitism exists everywhere, but it's ludicrous to suggest that the USA and NYC is as just as bad in terms of anti-Semitism as contemporary Hungary.

(Hoping that check from Soros arrives tomorrow!)
Do yourself a favor and do research about attacks on Jewish people in USA and in Hungary. Truth does not hurt.
( I'm happy for your check)

Last edited by pawelra; Apr 16, 2018 at 2:26 AM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:09 AM

Well the people who study these things disagree with your assertion that Hungary is "no worse" than the US.

http://global100.adl.org/public/ADL-...ummary2015.pdf

Under Trump no doubt the anti-Semites and other vile forces of the far right have been emboldened. And he only wishes he could run the same kind of "illiberal democracy" in the USA as authoritarian strongman Orban does in Hungary. It's no surprise that Orban was one of the first of world leaders to endorse Trump.

Sadly Orban's nonsense is spreading into other former Eastern bloc countries like Poland.

Anyway, I'm done with your apologetics, and will be going back to the topic of this thread.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:18 AM

London really had two Irish immigrant groups: the "cockney Irish" that lived in the East End from the Famine years until WWII, and the more recent Irish immigration since the 1950s that's centered in NW London.

I'm not sure how recognizably "Irish" London-born people of Irish descent would have been by WWI.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Wow, I think SSP just got its first Orban troll. The Hungarian troll farms are rivaling the Russians these days.

Very sad what has become of Hungary. EU should toss Hungary out of the Union if it cannot adhere to basic democratic norms.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commentariat View Post
Complete nonsense and historical revisionism, like most of what you write. Britain was feudal for much of the medieval period, society was organised around legally binding ties to land. You couldn't leave even if you wanted to. When feudalism fell apart, the vast majority of the population remained tied to the land because they were subsistence peasants and would starve if they lost their connection to it. Most people were born, married and died within about a 10 mile radius, until the industrial revolution.

Yes

Thank you. This whole "England is a nation of immigrants" thing from the aughts was bizarre and a a little creepy to me. Just a complete fabrication.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 1:39 PM
if I sang out of tune

Hmmm the clue's in the name guys - the country divided between place names in Danish, Norwegian, Saxon, Norman, Pict, Celtic, Frisian, Roman. Why are the English called Anglo-Saxon and who came before them? What happened to the Celts?

Last edited by muppet; Apr 16, 2018 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:29 PM

Oddly, I had a cabbie in London this summer talk (proudly it seemed) about how it was a city of immigrants - the Hugenots, then the Irish, then the Jews, then the West Indians and South Asians and so on. But then near the end of the trip, he said how Trump ("half-Scottish") "had a point" about immigration levels.

Last edited by Docere; Apr 16, 2018 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Well the people who study these things disagree with your assertion that Hungary is "no worse" than the US.

http://global100.adl.org/public/ADL-...ummary2015.pdf

Under Trump no doubt the anti-Semites and other vile forces of the far right have been emboldened. And he only wishes he could run the same kind of "illiberal democracy" in the USA as authoritarian strongman Orban does in Hungary. It's no surprise that Orban was one of the first of world leaders to endorse Trump.

Sadly Orban's nonsense is spreading into other former Eastern bloc countries like Poland.

Anyway, I'm done with your apologetics, and will be going back to the topic of this thread.
According to your own link USA is a lot worse then Hungary, where "tolerant liberal" western Europe is the worst!!!! Thanks for honesty.

Crawford, by insulting other race and countries you just proved me that you are simply XENOPHOBE and RACIST. I wonder if you could say those things to my face, so who's the troll here ???

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
According to your own link USA is a lot worse then Hungary, where "tolerant liberal" western Europe is the worst!!!! Thanks for honesty.
You're an idiot. What you posted are not measures of anti-Semitism, these are measures about what the general population thinks about anti-Semitism in their countries. Big difference.

Now could you get lost and go back to posting about Atlanta or something? Thanks.

Last edited by Docere; Apr 16, 2018 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Crawford, by insulting other race and countries you just proved me that you are simply XENOPHOBE and RACIST. I wonder if you could say those things to my face, so who's the troll here ???
If I've said anything remotely xenophobic or racist, feel free to contact the mods.

Otherwise, I think it's pretty clear that A. You're projecting and B. You're an Orban troll.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions