HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 4:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The phenomenon of the Super Bowl party has been a thing when I was a kid over 40 years ago - maybe even longer. It has grown since then though. But that just might be a Southern Ontario thing.

For the longest time the most amount of TVs sold for the year was the playoffs leading up to the Super Bowl (it may be second now behind Black Friday). That's why Best Buy (and Future Shop before that) always swamped their flyers with sales on TVs. Grocery stores have a lot of sales on party snacks, and pizza places get the busiest. I usually get my pizza delivered in around 25-30 minutes at the same place, but every Super Bowl Sunday it takes at least 1 hour (took 75 minutes yesterday). The delivery guy said he was swamped, but he always takes the SB shift because he makes a buttload on tips.
40 years ago is also about when I find that Canadians started taking a greater interest in the NFL and the Super Bowl. Before then it was only a secondary interest, but it has grown consistently ever since.

I don't think it got big right away though. My dad is a sporty guy who loves gridiron football and he is in his 70s today so would have been in his 30s around then, and I don't think he's ever been to a Super Bowl party in his life. I do remember him going to Grey Cup parties though.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada