HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
and in that tournament they had NBA talent and still lost to Venezuela and Mexico.
That doesn't say much for the myth of high priced NBA talent does it?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 2:31 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
That doesn't say much for the myth of high priced NBA talent does it?
They lost both by a point each and played absolutely dreadfully and on most other occasions should have beaten both sides. You're delusional if you're implying non-NBA talent > NBA talent in international basketball.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 5:29 AM
Go Chiefs!

The Canadian F1 Grand Prix always brings the biggest international stars in town.

Among the stars, this year Tom Brady and a billion Hollywood folks. It's literally the biggest collection of celebrities you will see each and every year on Canadian soil for a sporting event.

Too bad the weather is shitty! Nevertheless, it should be a good race tomorrow as always.

Last edited by Nicko999; Jun 12, 2016 at 5:50 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 2:56 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post

Too bad the weather is shitty! Nevertheless, it should be a good race tomorrow as always.
Rain and wet weather make for a more exciting race, particularly as Mercedes have dominated the past few seasons and many races have been processional for them. Red Bull are finally catching them in engine development and it's around right now where they're actually pushing Mercedes at the front. Should be a great race, especially if it rains a bit.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
They lost both by a point each and played absolutely dreadfully and on most other occasions should have beaten both sides. You're delusional if you're implying non-NBA talent > NBA talent in international basketball.
I think you're delusional if you think a team of thrown together NBA all stars can walk over a team of professionals who have been playing together for a while. Those days are gone with Bird and Magic.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 3:01 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I think you're delusional if you think a team of thrown together NBA all stars can walk over a team of professionals who have been playing together for a while.
The Dream Team still exists.

What's your difference in definition between NBA stars and team of professionals? Many European, Asian, and South American teams have a littered NBA presence in their squads. Luis Scola killed Canada when they played Argentina and he's on the Raptors.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 4:05 PM

I meant to post this at the time but got busy with other stuff and got sidetracked. For those of you too young to remember, this lady was a real superstar in the 70s who passed somewhat into obscurity with the passage of time. The photo posted below was an iconic and popular image for the time

Cindy Nicholas – former Scarborough Liberal MPP, lawyer, Lake Ontario swimmer – dies at 58
Scarborough Mirror May 20, 2016

Cindy Nicholas was a “world-class athlete” and a “Scarborough hero.”

That’s how the champion swimmer and former Scarborough Centre MPP is being remembered Friday.

Nicholas died Thursday, May 19, after a battle with liver cancer. She was 58.

Nicholas was raised in Scarborough and set world records in swimming in the 1970s.

“She was a world-class athlete,” said Bob Singleton, managing director of Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre. “The Scarborough Swim Club hosts a Cindy Nicholas event every year at our facility for club swimmers. ... She did leave her mark in swimming, and to have young club swimmers try to aspire to that, that is a great legacy.”

On Aug. 16, 1974, at age 16, Nicholas set a world record for swimming across Lake Ontario in 15 hours and 10 minutes from Youngstown, N.Y. to the CNE.

A year later, she set another world record for crossing the English Channel in 9 hours and 46 minutes from France to England.

She later became the first woman to swim a two-way crossing of the English Channel and completed a record five two-way crossings.

Nicholas also served as a backbench Liberal MPP in the David Peterson government between 1987 and 1990.

“She was a Scarborough hero whose marathon swimming achievements became globally recognized,” said current Scarborough Centre MPP Brad Duguid in an email. “I was part of the recruiting team that encouraged Cindy to run as an MPP in Scarborough Centre years ago. She served as a valuable member of the Peterson Government and was a passionate champion for Scarborough. While serving in public office Cindy was never consumed by partisan politics. She never compromised her passion for people, her kindness and her charismatic, infectious personality. We’ve lost a Scarborough icon with her passing.”

Nicholas returned to her legal practice after she lost her seat in the 1990 provincial election.

And she stayed involved in the community.

“Even though she wasn’t elected anymore, people would approach her personally on different issues and (she) would help them,” said Scarborough East Councillor Ron Moeser. “She was very caring, very open, very honest.”

In 2007, Nicholas was inducted into the Scarborough Walk of Fame.

“I have my home, my work, my family, my spouse, my daughter and my parents. I’m a lucky girl,” she said at the time.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 12:34 AM

Brooke Henderson is the clubhouse leader at -6 at the KPMG Women's PGA Championship. Lydia Ko is tied at -6 with a hole to play.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 1:12 AM

Henderson within two feet for birdie to win on first playoff hole

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 1:12 AM

And she wins it! First LPGA Major winner from Canada since 1968!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmobile View Post
And an 18 year old from Smiths Falls, Ontario. Very impressive. On her way to 2nd straight Canadian woman athlete of the year award?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 1:34 AM
Starring as himself

So sorry to hear about Cindy Nicholas.

There's a wonderful recent story about Marilyn Bell in the Wall Street Journal, learning to swim again at the age of 78.

These two were just about the most famous Canadian women athletes of their respective times.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 1:35 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmobile View Post
Presumably since Sandra Post?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Presumably since Sandra Post?
Yeah, I had to think about that for a second. I first thought they meant LPGA win and immediately thought of Lorie Kane whom I've met several times years ago and was/is a great lady. Of course, she's from the island, so that's a given

Then, I clued in the poster meant a "major"

Henderson became the second-youngest winner in a major championship, with Ko the youngest last year in the Evian Championship in France. Henderson also is the second Canadian woman to win a major championship, following Sandra Post's victory in the 1968 event, and is projected to jump from fourth to second in the world on Monday. Her first victory came last year in Portland, Oregon.

Since 2012, Henderson has been in training with Golf Canada's amateur and young professional development programs called "Team Canada"

Brooke Mackenzie Henderson. Mackenzie and Henderson doesn't get much more Canadian than that, does it?

Last edited by elly63; Jun 13, 2016 at 12:59 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 2:55 AM

Tailgating officially hits Toronto (Video)
June 13 2016

Argos are going after the young crowd hard, and seem to be succeeding

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Tailgating officially hits Toronto (Video)
June 13 2016

Argos are going after the young crowd hard, and seem to be succeeding
Weren't all those young people photo-shopped into that video?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
There's a wonderful recent story about Marilyn Bell in the Wall Street Journal, learning to swim again at the age of 78.

These two were just about the most famous Canadian women athletes of their respective times.
A Swimming Hero Relearns How to Swim
Marilyn Bell swam the English Channel, but scoliosis later in life kept her out of the pool
Kevin Helliker wsj.com Feb. 15, 2016

New Paltz, N.Y.

In 1954, the renowned American distance swimmer Florence Chadwick received a tantalizing offer: Swim across Lake Ontario—something no human had ever done—and she would receive $10,000, the equivalent of nearly $90,000 today.

The offer, from an annual event called the Canadian National Exhibition, irritated some Canadians who thought that surely one of their own compatriots could accomplish that feat. Years earlier, after all, when chewing-gum magnate William Wrigley Jr. offered $25,000 to the first person to swim from Catalina Island to mainland California, the winner of that prize had been a Canadian, George Young.

Young had since retired, however, and the swimmer recruited to compete against Chadwick was a 16-year-old Toronto girl named Marilyn Bell. Chadwick was an international star from California who had set records swimming the English Channel in both directions. Bell, by contrast, was unknown outside her Toronto swim club.

On race night, the two swimmers dove into Lake Ontario from its New York shores. Chadwick lasted only a few hours. One moment short of 21 hours, Bell reached the Canadian shore in Toronto, earning her headlines around the world. A year later, at 17, she became the youngest person ever to swim the English Channel.

In an era of distance-swimming celebrities, Bell reigned as one of North America’s most visible athletes. In 1954, she won Canada’s prestigious Lou Marsh trophy, awarded to the country’s top athlete. Photographs from that time show her standing beside Ed Sullivan and Roy Rogers.

Then Marilyn Bell did something extraordinary: She disappeared.

Almost 60 years later, she moved into a retirement center called Woodland Pond at New Paltz. She went now by Marilyn Di Lascio, the surname she’d taken at age 19 upon marrying a New Jersey government worker named Joe Di Lascio. For decades she raised four children as a New Jersey housewife, then went back to school, obtained a graduate education degree and taught special-needs children. Neither at school nor at home was there any talk of her illustrious past.

“I was the youngest of her kids, and I was 11 or 12 when my siblings and I collectively had an ah-ha moment about who our mother was,” says Jodi Di Lascio, Di Lascio’s daughter.

Nobody at Woodland Pond knew about her past either. “After all that attention, I just wanted to live a normal life,” says Di Lascio.

She still liked the water. After the death of her husband of 50 years, she chose to move to Woodland Pond in part because it had an indoor pool. Not that she actually swam. A worsening case of scoliosis had crippled her in her 70s. To get around she used a motorized chair. In the pool, she merely floated on her back, gently kicking her feet. “It hurt too much to try to swim,” she says.

The star of the Woodland Pond pool was Paul Lurie, a retired pioneer of pediatric cardiology. He didn’t swim faster or farther than anybody else. In a place where no measure of athleticism is more prized than defiance of age, Lurie was the big man on campus. He didn’t start swimming laps until he was 94. Before that, he’d run stairs at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, where he was chief of pediatric cardiology.

A case of atrial fibrillation in his early 90s prompted Lurie to ditch the stairs in favor of a lower-intensity workout, and it was in part because of its pool that he chose to move to Woodland Pond. Eager to teach himself proper freestyle technique and learn a second stroke, Lurie went online to investigate an international swim-improvement program called “Total Immersion,” and made an amazing discovery: The founder of Total Immersion, Terry Laughlin, lived in New Paltz.

Lurie got in his car, drove to Laughlin’s house and knocked on the door. When Laughlin’s grown daughter answered, she found on their doorstep a 94-year-old man saying he wanted to learn to swim butterfly.

Typically, a two-day Total Immersion seminar costs $495. But Laughlin went to Woodland Pond and provided free-of-charge lessons to Lurie, seeing in him the chance to explore a question: How old is too old to improve as a swimmer?

After a handful of lessons, Laughlin streamlined Lurie’s freestyle so dramatically that a video of them swimming side-by-side offers little evidence which man is the coach and which the student. Within a year, Lurie cut in half the time it took him to swim 20 lengths, a workout he performs every weekday morning. For a second stroke, Laughlin taught the old man backstroke, having decided that butterfly was too ambitious.

Neither man paid much attention to the woman who arrived during their workouts on a motorized chair, and who floated on her back, gently kicking her feet.

A local reporter, while writing about Di Lascio’s involvement with a Woodland Pond philanthropic effort, searched her online and learned about her past. When Woodland Pond administrators found out, they arranged to show in the community theater a 2001 made-for-television movie called, “Heart: The Marilyn Bell Story.” After the showing, Di Lascio stood to answer questions about her feats as Marilyn Bell. She also explained that scoliosis now made it too painful for her to swim. In the audience was Lurie, who came forward afterward to suggest that she consider taking lessons from Laughlin.

“I thought maybe Terry could teach her to swim without pain,” says Lurie. “It seemed such a shame that this superstar could only float on her back.”

“I wasn’t particularly interested in doing it,” recalls Di Lascio. “But Paul so wanted me to try, and Terry was very eager too.”

At the pool, Laughlin asked her to swim a couple laps. “It was very painful,” she says.

What Laughlin saw convinced him that he could help her. “Marilyn displayed class 1950s form,” says Laughlin. “Head high. Hips flat. Legs churning. Not salutary for the spine.”

Under Laughlin’s guidance, Di Lascio deconstructed her championship stroke and learned to keep her head aligned with her spine, rotate her torso and calm her kick, allowing her legs to draft behind the upper body. In short order, she was swimming two hours a day without pain.

At 98, Lurie recently published his first book, “A Cardiologist Explains Things: Basic Information for the Layperson.”

“He’s a hard person to keep up with,” says Di Lascio. But in her own way, she’s trying. At 78, she has devised a new goal for when she turns 80: She wants to participate in an annual 13-mile Hudson River swim. “I don’t know whether I will be able to do it, but it’s an exciting thing to think about,” she says.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 6:41 PM

I've been hearing reports of organized hooligan violence at the Euro 2016 tournament in France... I have to say, I find this to be one element of European sports culture that I do not envy one bit.

Obviously there have been incidents of fan violence in Canada through the years as well as riots (Vancouver, Montreal), but the former tends to be mostly isolated incidents and the latter is rarely about the sport itself. Certainly there is no parallel to the weird culture in Europe of soccer hooliganism where subsets of fans go to events mainly to engage in brawling and violence.... thank goodness for that.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 6:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I've been hearing reports of organized hooligan violence at the Euro 2016 tournament in France... I have to say, I find this to be one element of European sports culture that I do not envy one bit.

Obviously there have been incidents of fan violence in Canada through the years as well as riots (Vancouver, Montreal), but the former tends to be mostly isolated incidents and the latter is rarely about the sport itself. Certainly there is no parallel to the weird culture in Europe of soccer hooliganism where subsets of fans go to events mainly to engage in brawling and violence.... thank goodness for that.
Yes, it's been very bad. It's almost comical to read the British press who are all indignant about poor innocent English lads getting blamed, attacked and victimized. And of course all the talk of "improper policing".

The French press tells a different story.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 6:55 PM

^ How did that ever become part of European soccer culture? I know from having attended "heated rivalry" games like the NHL/CFL battle of Alberta and various Sask/Winnipeg games you do hear some salty language and see the odd idiots go too far, but for the most part there is a spirit of friendly rivalry in keeping with sporting ideals.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada