HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 11:38 PM
Community Guy

^awesome article.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 11:44 PM

So next year Indy will be a week earlier and at the start of Kdays again? With kdays and indy both starting on the same day? Should be cool.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 12:33 AM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
So next year Indy will be a week earlier and at the start of Kdays again? With kdays and indy both starting on the same day? Should be cool.
If thats true they MUST encorporate indy into the parade.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
If thats true they MUST encorporate indy into the parade.
I'm just guessing (and too lazy to check). But Daytona 500 isn't moving. And capex is shifting one day later. So I think that's how it will all work out.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 2:34 AM
Community Guy

taken from ESPN

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 2:54 AM
Kevin Folds Five

^ lol

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 3:08 AM
DRINK

Thats the corner where Danica whiped out right? I guess now we know why she went into that corner to slow and got rear ended by Andretti...she was checking cold out in her oversized rear view mirror.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 3:43 AM
Community Guy

^yup...hahaha...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 1:23 PM
Community Guy

haha...while i love F1 i would equally like to see this guy take one of these little "go-carts" out for a drive:

'Glorified go-karts'
The Edmonton Journal
Published: 2:04 am
I watched some of this race on TV, not being able to afford the exorbitant price of a ticket. I was underwelmed. These cars are glorified go-carts, pretending to be race cars.

This event was over-promoted, overpriced and only made money for the promoters, vendors, hotels, restaurants and food suppliers. Who knows what it cost Edmonton taxpayers?

People who want to see real racing should watch the Formula One Hugarian Grand Prix on TV on Aug. 3.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****Doug Turner, Edmonton

© The Edmonton Journal 2008
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...e-59ec768a8c11
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Still a quality event
The Edmonton Journal
Re: "Second-rate race," by Michael Klapwijk, Letters, July 26.

I agree with Michael Klapwijk that Formula One is the pinnacle of motor racing. Anyone who witnessed Lewis Hamilton's performance in the rain at Silverstone recently would surely agree.

However, although I attend the Montreal F1 race every year, I have also enjoyed attending each of the four Indy/Champ Car races here in Edmonton. While the drivers may not be F1 calibre, they are still enormously talented and among the best in the world.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****This is the highest level of racing we are likely to see here, and I hope it will return for years to come. Edmonton race fans may in fact know a great deal about F1, but not many can fly their families to Montreal. Let's all enjoy and embrace world-class racing here while it lasts.

Michael Yan, Edmonton

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...0-321b5c0b9256

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Media should focus on race, stop talking about how lucky we are to have it
The Edmonton Journal
In Edmonton last weekend, there was no story bigger than the Indy race. But somehow the local media managed to manufacture one.

The media went on and on, all week long, about how great the Indy race makes Edmonton look in the eyes of the 400 million people who watched it.

How embarrassing. Instead of promoting the race itself, local newspapers, radio and TV stations spent the week broadcasting the fact that Edmonton "needs" this event. For what -- self-esteem? After all of that shameless self-promotion, we must look like foolish, small-town bumpkins. And if that wasn't enough, then a one news anchorman's flat-out request of Gene Simmons, on live TV, to speak of Edmonton's greatness certainly was far more than enough, for me at least.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****We've had this race for four years now. Isn't it time for us to get over that fact that we have it and to start acting like a city that deserves an event like this, rather than a city that desperately "needs" an event like this?

After four years, the spotlight should be moved to the event, just as it deserves. By focusing on the race, the drivers, the championship they compete for, the fans and so on, we'll prove to the world that Edmonton is a great city, which certainly beats merely telling the world, over and over again.

Tony Partikas, Edmonton

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...b-7723426630e6

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 1:26 PM

^ Needy, much. Why even bother to write those letters?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 5:46 PM

^The first guy is an obvious idiot. Racing is just not the same on TV period...whether it's Indy, F1, or drag racing. Personally, I enjoyed attending the Edmonton Grand Prix more than the Montreal F1 race (yes, honestly I was surprised to come to that conclusion as well).

As for the driver/talent comment, I believe even a few F1 drivers have admitted that the most talented drivers in the world are actually WRC drivers. The comparison would be hard to truly judge, but it's an uneducated conclusion to write-off all "Indy" drivers as second-tier in my opinion.

As for the comment of an Edmonton Journalist asking Simmons to verify Edmonton's "greatness", it is NO different than watching any of the "ET Canada" type shows, where the journalists ALWAYS ask the American celebs what they think of Toronto. Always happens. Every night.

Edmontonians should not only be proud of the fact they "own" this race, but also that it is a star in the Indycar schedule.

Man, those letters annoy me.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 2:56 PM
Big Dog

Simmons said Edmonton is the "coolest place on earth". Is that our new official slogan? I've heard it before I'm sure but I can't remember where.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 3:00 PM
Community Guy

^we had an entire branding exercise with that...still do i believe.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 3:20 PM

"It's cooler here" was the EEDC campaign last year, coupled with "Live all year." Not sure if they're still going though.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton