HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 3:14 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I'd vote no. We seem to keep it to construction & construction related topics, I don't mind the few digressions we have on the thread an they don't totally derail it, and we all know where to go if we want to talk about Edmonton cupcakes.

Since Calgary got their local I've found the Alberta section much easier to deal with. I say keep it as is.
I agree. There is way too much to follow in local threads. You have to monitor new threads all the time, and outsiders stay way... (at least I do, too much to follow as opposed to checking in on one thread). I vote no local thread. Keep it as is...

Although, I really care too much in the end.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 3:17 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilman View Post
No worries, I just found it ironic that Waterloo has it's own section for chatting about their proposed 21 m (6 floor) building "the42" whilst Edmonton is in the generic AB section.

Cheers
Which is actually a really great building. KW stuff is pretty substandard as local contractors and developers pass of sh*t as gold. But an outsider from TO can bring a stellar product like the42 which exceeds 99% of the product in Edmonton even.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 5:22 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
I agree. There is way too much to follow in local threads. You have to monitor new threads all the time, and outsiders stay way... (at least I do, too much to follow as opposed to checking in on one thread). I vote no local thread. Keep it as is...

Although, I really care too much in the end.
concur with chris jr.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 5:34 PM

I don't see much point to it given we already have C2E, but it isn't necessarily the end of the world so either way would be fine.

We could have less a local format than Vancouver, and more one like Calgary - where much of the stuff still happens in the construction thread. But just looking at the Calgary projects area - and the list of all the projects - if we did it here like that - it'd be identical to C2E's real estate and development section - wow, pointless for that to be here again.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 5:45 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
concur with chris jr.
You'll concur with my fist, in your face.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 6:47 PM

The decision has already been made to create one single Edmonton sub-forum, just have to iron out a few technicalities and then it will be created.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 2:53 AM

Cool. Thanks M II A II R II K for putting the whole thing together.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 4:45 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Sweet! I think it's a great idea because at least there will be parity with Calgary in terms of each city having its own sub-forum... We've certainly have a critical mass of Edmonton content on here so it makes sense...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 5:19 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Excellent.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 7:35 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
We're unique....yet not...I'm so confused!!!!

http://thegirlfromtheghetto.files.wo...08062420am.jpg

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 3:01 PM

I guess it's set up. Although I could only move the Edmonton threads here that I could identify, there could be many Edmonton threads left in the main section. Another mod would have to move them.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
I guess it's set up. Although I could only move the Edmonton threads here that I could identify, there could be many Edmonton threads left in the main section. Another mod would have to move them.
having scanned the threads and classifications, if anyone can tell me why (other than some esoteric "technical" reason or rule, neither of which seems to be the case) why calgary and edmonton are not set up as equals in terms of their navigation on the site - and make the response logical enough to maintain the difference - i'll accept it.

but the "logic" of including alberta and british columbia "together" and then differentiating between edmonton and calgary truly escapes me. i prefered the combined alberta "local" because i might visit a calgary thread of interest that was "there" but i won't move around from forum to forum to try and catch those same threads and am almost sure to have less in common with most of threads that this combination puts up front than was there previously.

it's bad enough that the victoria and kelowna and north vancouver island construction threads are now more accessible as they are on the "front page" of the combined british columbia and alberta local (to which i agree with feepa - if combined they should at least be alphabetical...). having edmonton construction buried unless you change your bookmark (which we might do but a visitor surely won't) doesn't seem to be a step forward to me in terms of having what's presented on the site up front and accessible to those interested enough to be here. surely edmonton and calgary have much more in common than either of us have with "north vancouver island".

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnklc View Post
i prefered the combined alberta "local" because i might visit a calgary thread of interest that was "there" but i won't move around from forum to forum to try and catch those same threads and am almost sure to have less in common with most of threads that this combination puts up front than was there previously.
I agree. I liked it before Calgary was moved to their own subforum. I would often click on some of those threads like Stoney Trail, etc. A lot less convenient to browse now.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Thanks for doing this. I appreciate the time you have put into it. But really, I don't like all the additional threads like 'water cooler' and 'development rumours', while they're nice ideas they just don't seem to fit. Other than the Images of Edmonton and a few threads that aren't talked about after a few days, we usually keep discussion ,even off topic in the Const thread. I guess things could change but meh i just don't like it.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 10:52 PM
Change is good

Is there a new posts feature that will limit the search to just new posts of the newly formed AB+BC section? Whereas by this new posts search wont include every other section, but be inclusive of everything with in the AB+BC sub-section?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Is there a new posts feature that will limit the search to just new posts of the newly formed AB+BC section? Whereas by this new posts search wont include every other section, but be inclusive of everything with in the AB+BC sub-section?
Not that I know of, but the main AB/BC section isn't that heavily trafficked anyway so you can easily see the new threads posted in.

And plus don't be using the report post feature to request thread moves and thread stickies. This thread is good to request changes, I would for sure catch it the same day sometime.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
I appreciate the time you have put into it. But really, I don't like all the additional threads like 'water cooler' and 'development rumours', while they're nice ideas they just don't seem to fit.
Well they are unstickied now, if they don't get activity then they'll drop down, and if they do get traffic then obviously that would indicate that their existence is warranted.

They seem to get interest in other sections in the past so it may also do so here.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 11:12 PM

I see your intentions. Wouldn't be bad if we give it a go for a bit I suppose.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 11:27 PM
Change is good

Can we rename the Edmonton Water Cooler thread to Edmonton Stuffffffff ?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton