HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 11:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
i'll say it again, Regina is really impressive.

i keep hearing about how its the "city that time forgot" from friends and family that have been there recently, but i think i may have to come and check it out.
Not sure why they would say that as Regina is currently ranked #1 in Canada for economic momentum. Regina (and the province) are currently booming despite the worldwide economic troubles.

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...e-f700fced010f

http://www.leaderpost.com/Homes/Sask...637/story.html

http://www.newstalk980.com/story/20090109/10645

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 11:54 PM
Cambridgite

Great panorama of the City of Kitchener from Chicopee Ski Hill. Downtown skyline is about 40% to the right.

Souce: WMWWMW on Panoramio

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 1:27 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Wow! Massive pic...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 1:36 AM
Go Chiefs!

Wow, that's... big

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 3:04 AM

Wow, double-plus-super-mega-pano

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 3:15 AM

Not sure why anyone bothered to take that. For such a big picture, there is very little to see.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 5:09 AM
Registered Loser

Thunder Bay's skyline, photo by me.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 5:42 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Not sure why anyone bothered to take that. For such a big picture, there is very little to see.
Thats a great comment Man. Were you expecting to see something resembling downtown Toronto? Or Calgary? Or Vancouver? If you dont like KW just say so, otherwise explain yourself better.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post
harharhar

Photo By Me, Taken last spring

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 6:03 AM
I am a typical

^^ Not sure if you saw it but the troll at TBMarina made fun of your user name there. "Crunchbitesdik". It's cute. He makes the opposition to the waterfront look like a group of 12 year old girls who didn't get the Barbie doll they wanted.

And that's still a crappy picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post

O Magnificent Birches of Thunder Bay!! Forever may you stand tall! (It's the only thing that grows after you clearcut the forest.)

That KW photo is so depressing. What is that disgusting mess below the N and E?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
^^ Not sure if you saw it but the troll at TBMarina made fun of your user name there. "Crunchbitesdik". It's cute. He makes the opposition to the waterfront look like a group of 12 year old girls who didn't get the Barbie doll they wanted.

And that's still a crappy picture.
Really? I stopped going there since it was unmodded.

I know It's a crappy picture but I've been too lazy to head out when the weather is nice. I do have a better camera, got myself a nice Digital SLR.

I've always wished for a good vantage point in Fort William. I broke into the hospital before it was demolished and the view from the roof was amazing, I just didn't have a Camera at the time.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 6:31 AM
I am a typical

The hospital is closed up now, I think they've started renovation. Rocket1964 (TBT1 on Flickr) got some good shots from McKay (including a shot of a WestJet landing, with the plane below where he was standing so you can see the top of it, it's amazing) but I think he has a telephoto lens or whatever. I just have a point-and-shoot so I don't even try taking skyline shots.

The troll has a wonderful writing style. I daresay, he might be more clever (some times) than Stanzmastertron3000. It's really quite interesting. I only keep going to see if he has said anything else. It's been quiet lately. Caesar Squitty made another goofball thread. I saw his van at McDonald's a couple weeks ago, it was hilarious. I didn't have my camera.

Their fries are made with potatoes. But that is a lie! They're more than that! It's a half truth! You have to see the light!! And so on.

Both images ©Rocket1964. Check out his photo threads in the N-Z section.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 6:37 AM
Cambridgite

Quote:
That KW photo is so depressing. What is that disgusting mess below the N and E?
By the looks of it, some garbage brought to you courtesy of Reid's Heritage Homes. The southeastern suburbs, around Fairway and Lackner.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 9:23 AM
BANNED

That is easily the best skyline shot of Thunder Bay i've ever seen. For a city of about 120,000 people it is a sad state of affairs there. Were it not for that 16-story apartment building I doubt you'd have a hundred footer in the whole city. Brandon Manitoba has a better skyline with a third the population of T-Bay. Dare I even mention Yellowknife? Vid's addiction to this site is so ironic. I am curious though what that futuristic-looking building (I can't believe I am talking about Thunder Bay while using the term "futuristic-looking building"!) just to the left of the golden arches? Whatever it is, it's kinda cool looking.

Metro-One, since sparky didn't clarify what he mean't by "city" (he still hasn't), I decided to provide a logical explanation of why only metro areas should be considered. Sorry I wasn't more timid about it.

Some of you criticized Sarnia's skyline but i'd say for a city of only ~75,000 it's pretty impressive. It has 20 buildings 10+ stories. In fact, i'd say that's very impressive for a city that size.

Someone mentioned Nanaimo (metro population 92,000), so here it is courtesy of, "The Great Scaper":

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Jan 17, 2009 at 9:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 10:31 AM
Aimless Wanderer

^ I defended Sarnia's downtown skyline too, but many of those 20 buildings you mentioned are suburban slabs.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 2:27 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post

I am curious though what that futuristic-looking building (I can't believe I am talking about Thunder Bay while using the term "futuristic-looking building"!) just to the left of the golden arches? Whatever it is, it's kinda cool looking.
[/IMG]
Provincial gov't offices. It was built in the early/mid 90's to house Gov't of Ont jobs moved to Thunder Bay in the name of "economic development". Interestingly enough, while it added some jobs to the local economy, the gov't also moved jobs from other locations around town into the new building such that the effect of that was to create other holes in the urban fabric.

Also, from the distance shown, that building almost looks nice, up close I personally think is was designed by Ray Charles (<< no offense to RC fans out there!)

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 3:43 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Here is a shot of Yellowknife's skyline.

Photo found on Wikipedia.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 1:26 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
That is easily the best skyline shot of Thunder Bay i've ever seen.
That's Port Arthur's skyline, which is one of Thunder Bay's several skylines. Here is another:

© rocket1964

This if Fort William. See the difference? There is another skyline at the university, where our second and third tallest buildings are located as well as a group of buildings between 4 and 7 storeys, and one in College Heights west of downtown Port Arthur, but that one is just ugly apartment slabs.

Quote:
I am curious though what that futuristic-looking building (I can't believe I am talking about Thunder Bay while using the term "futuristic-looking building"!) just to the left of the golden arches? Whatever it is, it's kinda cool looking.
It's the Government of Ontario Building, commission in the late 1980s and finished in 1989 by the Liberal government of David Peterson. It was designed by a local architect with guidance from Arthur Erickson because Erickson is too stuck up to renew his architecture license. I think it's a great building, one of the province's best examples of post modernism.

It will make a fitting legislature when we separate.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 2:17 AM

Cool one of Halifax from an unusual angle;

Source: "Cranky.Pants" on Flickr.com

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 2:19 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
It's the Government of Ontario Building, commission in the late 1980s and finished in 1989 by the Liberal government of David Peterson. It was designed by a local architect with guidance from Arthur Erickson because Erickson is too stuck up to renew his architecture license. I think it's a great building, one of the province's best examples of post modernism.
Well Vid - see my comments above and obviously we disagree. Personally I think that there is too much in this building and definitely blows from Cumberland. But then again, each to his own.

BTW, I thought is wasn't finished until around '92 as I seem to have a vague memory of the Dippers being there for the opening. Then again, I drink way too much so I could be wrong.

Do something about your future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada