HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 10:46 PM

Also of note from the Historic Preservation Commission is an update on 100 Mill/Hayden House. TL;DR: Not much. Apparently Douglas Wilson Companies (this guy: ) no longer owns the property or has any interest in the development. Hensel Phelps (who I believe was going to develop in partnership with Douglas Wilson) now has sole ownership. Don't know if that's particularly good or bad, but Hensel Phelps seems to have a lot more experience with projects of this size/scope.

In the past month or so, Robert Graham of Motley Design Group (who I believe has posted here on occasion) has apparently completed a HABS report, and they are doing some repairs/restoration to the Hayden House. No updates I can see on whether and when we can expect any progress on the development itself.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 11:25 PM

The Local with vertical construction.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
The Local with vertical construction.

This building is going to be THICC

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:20 PM

Just saw this go up by Royal Coffee on Forest.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:29 PM

^^ Is that the building that currently houses Paradise Hawaiian BBQ or the one next to it with Mad Hatter?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:37 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
^^ Is that the building that currently houses Paradise Hawaiian BBQ or the one next to it with Mad Hatter?
I recognize that building as the one that houses Paradise. It would be shame to lose Paradise. The service is stern, but the food is good. In my dream world, Paradise would move into Mad Hatter's space. I'm not quite sure how Mad Hatter stays in business.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I recognize that building as the one that houses Paradise. It would be shame to lose Paradise. The service is stern, but the food is good. In my dream world, Paradise would move into Mad Hatter's space. I'm not quite sure how Mad Hatter stays in business.
Thanks. I was thrown off by the Royal Coffee Bar comment as that's located in the same building as Mad Hatter. Bummer about Paradise but that building is an eyesore. I share the same sentiments about Mad Hatter but that's our go-to-spot during ASU game days

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Sorry for not clarifying. This is the parcel with both Paradise and Nush. The building with the Mad Hatter is owned by Grady Gammage, and has his executive office on the Penthouse level. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

I will also figure out how to resize my images for future posts.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:57 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandypandybear View Post
Sorry for not clarifying. This is the parcel with both Paradise and Nush. The building with the Mad Hatter is owned by Grady Gammage, and has his executive office on the Penthouse level. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

I will also figure out how to resize my images for future posts.
Nush is long gone. That space with stairs leading up to a bar seems cursed. That may be one of the reasons the building is likely headed for demolition. Paradise, the ticket broker next door, and the office upstairs may not generate much rent in comparison to the potential for that land if developed at higher density. The Gammage-owned building next door is attractive, even if the prime corner space on the ground floor has been home to mediocre brewpubs. I hope it stays indefinitely.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 5:34 PM
High Voltage

Seems like a good redevelopment of the property.

As for the Mad Hatter, I don't see how they stay in business either. Every time I am by there the place is either closed, or nearly empty.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 6:37 PM

Will be interesting to see how many if any of all the proposed hotels get built--off the top of my head there is this Residence Inn on the Paradise BBQ site, the Westin, the ASU (I think it was Omni?) hotel/conference center at Mill/University, the Mill redevelopment, 100 Mill, and the hotel attached to the 7S project that I don't think is getting built in the current phase. I can't imagine there is demand for all of them in basically the same square mile of downtown Tempe, but I guess I don't really know.

Also, the full DRC packet for the Westin on 7th St. is here: https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=54531. It looks pretty good--the proposal doesn't include the corner parcels at 7th St./Mill or 7th St./Myrtle; its just the center parcel fronting 7th St. If they get approved and everything I'm going to have to hurry and use that basketball court they set up--I have been meaning to but haven't had a chance.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 5:57 PM

I saw some stakes in the ground at the Carvana site. I also saw some tower crane sections next to the Watermark development.

I also stumbled across this fb site that has some development info. Even though im not a fan of fb...

https://m.facebook.com/tempedevelopm...ernal&mt_nav=1

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
I saw some stakes in the ground at the Carvana site. I also saw some tower crane sections next to the Watermark development.

I also stumbled across this fb site that has some development info. Even though im not a fan of fb...

https://m.facebook.com/tempedevelopm...ernal&mt_nav=1
Thanks for the FB link!

But I can't stand that attached to every article or rendering there's the usual NIMBY hysteria and 'high-rise phobia' comments. Makes me wonder if all who liked this page did so out of animosity.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 8:36 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Thanks for the FB link!

But I can't stand that attached to every article or rendering there's the usual NIMBY hysteria and 'high-rise phobia' comments. Makes me wonder if all who liked this page did so out of animosity.
Most of the comments seem to come from the same few people. A little blocking makes the page more enjoyable.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 11:43 PM

Wish they would quit incorporating stucco into tall buildings, the south side is going to look like crap:

http://azbex.com/290-room-westin-planned-for-tempe/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Wish they would quit incorporating stucco into tall buildings, the south side is going to look like crap:

http://azbex.com/290-room-westin-planned-for-tempe/
The Westin passed the DRC last night 4-3, and most of the discussion was about the stucco. I didn't listen that close, but it sounded like the three no votes wanted to include some kind of requirement to at least consider other materials.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
it sounded like the three no votes wanted to include some kind of requirement to at least consider other materials.
Smart people.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 6:48 PM

At the 9/28 city council meeting, the council will vote to enter negotiations with Gilbane to develop the city-owned triangular parcel on the northwest corner of Apache/Terrace (here). The city council agenda item doesn't have info on height/floors, but it does state that Gilbane's proposal includes:
  • 55 workforce housing units
  • 350 student housing units
  • 12,000 square feet of retail space on Apache and Terrace

The parcel is less than an acre, so with parking and everything else I assume that's pretty tall.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 6:54 PM

Quote:
At the 9/28 city council meeting, the council will vote to enter negotiations with Gilbane to develop the city-owned triangular parcel on the northwest corner of Apache/Terrace (here). The city council agenda item doesn't have info on height/floors, but it does state that Gilbane's proposal includes:
  • 55 workforce housing units
  • 350 student housing units
  • 12,000 square feet of retail space on Apache and Terrace

The parcel is less than an acre, so with parking and everything else I assume that's pretty tall.
Is workforce units Newspeak for affordable housing?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Is workforce units Newspeak for affordable housing?
Kind of. Can't remember exact range of the top of my head but they have to be rented to people with incomes that are between like 80 and 120% of area median income, and the rent can't exceed 30% of the renters' income. So they're more geared towards middle income housing, but it is a means of rent control.

Last edited by muertecaza; Sep 28, 2017 at 5:38 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest