HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 6:38 PM
homesick alien

Still learning the area, the developers, government departments, and major players. I'll contribute more once I feel like I have something of worth to contribute.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 7:19 PM

Agreed, this format requires way too much effort. I only click on the "recent posts" thing on the main page.

We tried something similar in Seattle once...that's when the activity went to SSC instead. It's one page and maybe 20 threads get updates on a typical day.

I don't get a vote of course, not being local.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 7:47 PM

As a previous newcomer to this forum, I will say that it takes some time to get with the flow.

Once you do however, you will notice that posts are updated frequently.

Also, as mac said, post some photos of projects. Nothing like a good progress update to stimulate some conversation.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 5:44 AM
A before E

For all that is going on in Portland, this subforum actually stays pretty updated very regularly, mostly thanks to mac who seems to be the wizard that holds this all together. Obviously there is more that is going on in Portland right now than any one person can keep up on. I know we all have busy lives, I can say that first hand with all that I am doing with my work, wife, and baby, but with living in Milwaukie, I try to stay up on what is going on around me and update things when I can.

It would be great for all of us to make others aware of the things going on around where they live so that we get a more thorough active forum site. I do also love how this forum site has done a fantastic job sticking to architecture rather than diving into what forum sites have mostly come these days which is a place to bitch, complain, and argue with one another.

Oh, and I just added my instagram to my signature in case anyone wants to see the random Portland and Oregon and surrounding Cascadia photos that I post with some pre-instagram NYC and such photos.

Last edited by urbanlife; Jul 11, 2017 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 2:23 PM

I moved away from Portland in February but for the prior 2 years had been living and working downtown so had very good chances to see what was going on.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:43 PM

Drawings [22MB] for alterations to Meier & Frank Building, which were approved yesterday.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 10:10 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Four retail spaces. Two facing east, two facing west. That will be a welcome change along SW 5th & 6th. I'll be especially happy if the north side of the building along Alder isn't so dark and dreary. They have a fifth space listed as Micro Retail on Alder near 6th, so I have to assume they'll make the sidewalk more inviting - certainly more than it is now. That'll be a huge plus.

It looks like this should be done by next June, assuming the long end of their 6 to 8 month construction timeline. That'd be great.

I'm sad to see Macy's go, but I have high hopes for this project. Thumbs up!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 10:44 PM

Hopefully it'll help draw some of the larger tenants out of the basement of Pioneer Square.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 2:24 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Four retail spaces. Two facing east, two facing west. That will be a welcome change along SW 5th & 6th. I'll be especially happy if the north side of the building along Alder isn't so dark and dreary. They have a fifth space listed as Micro Retail on Alder near 6th, so I have to assume they'll make the sidewalk more inviting - certainly more than it is now. That'll be a huge plus.

It looks like this should be done by next June, assuming the long end of their 6 to 8 month construction timeline. That'd be great.

I'm sad to see Macy's go, but I have high hopes for this project. Thumbs up!
I agree that with the reintroduction of primary entrances on the east and west as well as added entrances for 4 or so retail tenants, there should be lots more activation of the four sides of the building. A Jane Jacobs devotee might ask for more, smaller retail spaces and more entrances to assure more activity. Larger retail tenants often black out their storefronts rather than provide interesting retail displays. Certainly both Meier & Frank were guilty of that. Also, when M&F closed the east and west entrances many years ago to gain a little more interior retail space, the mid-blocks became dead and often a place for sleezy, druggie activity. So this new phase for the M&F building should help bring the block back to life.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 3:36 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Hopefully it'll help draw some of the larger tenants out of the basement of Pioneer Square.
I am still rooting for Uniqlo to come to downtown Portland.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 5:58 AM

The renderings look nice and I agree, those 5th and 6th facades would be a great change. Being surrounded by the transit mall can be challenging, so hopefully they truly brighten up these streetfronts and attract interesting retail.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 2:56 PM

Walking around Pioneer Square Mall the other day, I was wondering if the shopping market has moved past indoor malls. Just think if those buildings where turned into office with wrapped retail around the outside. This would push many of the shops to the street around the area. It would be so much better for the downtown atmosphere to have that retail outside. In a way the retail in the mall limits the ability for PDX to have a main shopping street. Never going to happen, but...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 3:07 PM

I always loved walking along the Alder Street side of that building in the early morning when Meier & Frank was going great guns. It was the only place downtown that me feel like I was in a Big City. A tiny slice of New York or Chicago with the hustle & bustle of big trucks unloading exotic merchandise from mysterious lands... lifts and conveyors humming, cars honking, delivery guys yelling... steam rising from manhole covers! Made you want to skip the hash at Hamburger Mary's and get right to work! Something to be said for that type environment on downtown city streets I think, in addition to all of the cute boutique shops, restaurants and coffee bars.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 9:54 PM

I agree, Alder has a great feel to it around that block and towards Broadway. Just the right mix of historic buildings & density. I really hope they bring it back to life successfully with the new storefronts. This has been ground zero for downtown retail for many decades.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland