HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 2:18 AM

Goose Hollow News

Stopped into Sienna Architects at the Commonwealth Building today. I found THIS in the entry:

As you can see, there's the Allegra on the right, and several really neat towers on the blocks adjacent.

I was told that this was the "updated" model. Freakin' Sweeet! Looks like the Oregonian bunker and a bunch of other minor stuff are finally going to go away.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 2:33 AM

great news! those are some crazy looking towers. shhh...don't tell the nimbys

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 3:04 AM

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 3:44 AM

wow, true deconstructivist architecture in Stumptown? ... ... ... hopefully there will be some variety in those buildings or it might end up looking like the proposed Gehry globs in Brooklyn... anyway, great looking density.

Last edited by NJD; Mar 7, 2007 at 3:58 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 3:55 AM

I think this 18th corridor has great potential to be more dense. I"m not sure if most of these models are 'real' projects. The owner on the north half of the Allegro block was 'considering' joining and doing a tower adjacent to the Allegro. Not sure if this reflects that owner really going ahead or just Sienna dreaming about the potential.

In any event the tower on the north half of the Allegro block looks really cramped..I wouldn't want to live in either building and be looking into a 15 story light well that's 60' wide...If this is real it's a good example of the lack of planning...the two owners refusing to work together (either at all or until the last minute) and the final two towers therefore having little or no relationship to each other. Had the developers worked together they could have done a taller tower with the same density and much better light and views.

I would love to hear from someone at Sienna although I suspect the models of towers north of the Allegro block on the Oregonian site are just dream models...or reflect a vision....I"m not aware of any deals to get those blocks developed yet.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 6:59 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx2m2 View Post
In any event the tower on the north half of the Allegro block looks really cramped..I wouldn't want to live in either building and be looking into a 15 story light well that's 60' wide...
It looks like the towers are staggered, corner to corner, so residents aren't going to feel any more cramped than they would on the inside corner of an L-shaped tower. Actually, where the two corners come together could be quite dynamic if done right. I hope both towers get built.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 7:21 AM

"I think this 18th corridor has great potential to be more dense"

could not agree more. add to the fact that it is weighted with large-scale attractions like the MAC and PGE Park, plus the MAX stops, and the ingredients are all there for a great neighborhood street. It is located nicely between the uphill part of the neighborhood and the flatter blocks between 18th and 405.

i'm looking forward to the completion of the Civic project and the Jefferson Condos at the two 'bookends' of the street, and for the Allegro to start in the center. That area has long seemed underdeveloped and it seems ripe with potential to explode in the next decade.

as for the model, i hope we get some more larger towers, but a mixture of densities would be good as well. Down with the Oregonian bunker, up with the Manhattan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 8:16 AM

I got the impression that this model is their vision of what that area will look like. When they said "updated", I assume there were other plans afoot, and this is the latest refinement. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd say that they are working on just the Allegra at this time, and whoever is developing this area will use it to push for the rest of the plan. The developer(s) may have commissioned Sienna to do the rest of the planned buildings there. After all, why the heck waste money and time designing models of something that has not even a remote chance of getting built?

Doesn't the Oregonian want to get rid of the bunker? There's been tons of talk, and an abortive attempt (leading to a massive empty lot off Yeon) to consolidate their printing ops up in NW Industrial. The Bunker really isn't situated perfectly for an industrial purpose, esp with the residential density increasing around it and not-so-good access to the freeway system, and lots of local streets and MAX on all sides. Watch what the Big O does. If they start construction on something big elsewhere, then this may well indeed happen. Who knows, maybe they've got a secret deal in the works: cash for a relocated bunker.

Last edited by pdxskyline; Mar 7, 2007 at 8:25 AM. Reason: changed some wording for clarity's sake

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 4:08 PM

I agree that this 18th corridor will become more dense with new development.

I also agree with pdxskyline that this model is a vision and a marketing tool to help attract other clients. The owner of the north half of the block could be working with Sienna. They were talking to other architects recently and may have finally decided to join the Allegro group although it's unfortunate that this is happening so late. The opportunity was lost to do a whole block development which would have been much better than what's shown in the model.

I agree with 65max that the corner (northwest corner) could be good. My concern is that these towers are essentially two east west bars on the same block. The inside faces of the units appear to be essentially facing each other in a light well type space.

I think the northern blocks shown in the model could come into play eventually..it's just a matter of time.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 4:11 PM

Thanks PDXSkyline, this would be interesting to see in Portland. It seems like the building next to the Allegro is beyond just a hope, a lot of money must have been spent to create that model, the other blocks look to be speculative though.

I can't imagine that the Goose Hollow neighborhood association wouldn't object though.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 5:20 PM
BANNED

Do you guys know who owns the North half of the block?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 8:08 PM

The north half of the block is owned by at least two owners although it's my understanding is that Dan Petrusich of Melvin Mark is or was coordinating the half block development. He was also considering joining the Allegro developers to co-develop the entire block.

Dan also may own property to the north or northeast of this block.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 8:28 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

oh. my. god.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 12:23 AM
BANNED

That is interesting, Mark is a real player. Thanks for the info PDXM2M.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 2:24 PM

Lincoln High Move Would Free Space For Developers

Lincoln center of builders' dreams
High school - An unofficial plan would build a new school farther north, opening up its present site
Friday, November 09, 2007
RYAN FRANK
The Oregonian Staff
A small group of Portland politicians and business leaders have started private talks about building a new campus in Northwest Portland for Lincoln High School.

John von Schlegell, a Portland investor and Lincoln parent, and developers Homer Williams and Mark Edlen suggested moving the school to mostly vacant land owned by freight company Con-way.

The proposal is still in the back-of-the-envelope stage. Portland Public School leaders aren't part of the discussion so far, and no one knows what it would cost or who would pay.

But city Commissioner Erik Sten, who met with the group Thursday, says the idea could work if Lincoln's move is part of the school district's broader plan to renovate all of the city's aging schools.

"It is potentially a very good building block to that strategy," Sten said. "If it's a stand-alone play, it doesn't work."

If it does work, Lincoln's move would be a blockbuster public-private deal. It would provide a massive overhaul for two swaths of downtown.

The behind-the-scenes talks provide a window into how Portland's major real estate deals get started. It's not clear who would buy the Lincoln site or build on the Con-way land. Yet Edlen and Williams, two of the city's most prolific and politically connected developers, are already involved.

Williams, backed by investors, was the man behind the Pearl District, the South Waterfront and the tram. Edlen's firm, Gerding Edlen Development, renovated the former Blitz-Weinhard brewery on West Burnside Street.

Lincoln's current campus is prime for redevelopment. The 11-acre property is between the West Hills and Interstate 405 and could support new office or housing towers with sweeping views.

Farther north, a new Lincoln would have to fit into Con-way's existing redevelopment plans for its vast parking lots that border the tony Northwest 23rd Avenue shopping area.

Craig Boretz, Con-way's vice president of corporate development, says the company has made no commitments but is willing to listen to the group's proposals.

Drug vials and trailers

Von Schlegell's idea started with a drug vial.

This fall, von Schlegell and his wife helped out on parent clean-up day on Lincoln High's campus. He was on his hands and knees cleaning garbage out of the bushes when he came across needles and vials within earshot of Interstate 405's traffic. He looked up to see trailers serving as classrooms.

"I hate those trailers," he recalls his wife saying.

Lincoln is the city's most affluent school. But it's overcrowded and, like all the city's schools, outdated. The average age for Portland Public Schools is 60 years. The national average is 45, says Cathy Mincberg, the school's chief operating officer. Lincoln opened at its present location in 1952.

Von Schlegell, who's on the state Board of Higher Education, started thinking of places in Northwest where Lincoln could build a green, high-tech school. He isn't the first to talk about it. But when he picked up the phone, the idea took off.

"I called the two smartest real estate guys I know in town," said von Schlegell, managing director at Endeavour Capital.

He outlined the idea to Williams and Edlen. They immediately thought of Con-way's property. "It's the obvious place you would go," Williams said. Con-way's 20 acres is one of the largest undeveloped properties in the central city and still within a short drive of the West Hills neighborhoods that produce Lincoln's student body.

Plus, Williams thought the city might be willing to provide urban-renewal money to make the deal work. Portland has two urban renewal districts set to expire, which could free urban renewal money for the Con-way site's redevelopment.

This wouldn't be Williams first urban renewal deal. He helped convince city leaders to come up with more than $130 million in taxpayer money for the streetcar, parks, and roads. Those improvements helped make the Pearl and South Waterfront districts happen.

After he met with von Schlegell, Williams ran into Con-way's Boretz at a meeting of city business leaders. He grabbed a piece of scratch paper and sketched his plan. "What do you think of this idea?" Boretz says Williams asked.

Con-way, the former parent to Consolidated Freightways, has been planning to redevelop its land for about a year. It has now about 1,000 employees in two office buildings but most of its property remains empty, just blocks from the Pearl's towers. The company has a draft plan for offices, condos, affordable housing and maybe senior housing and a community center.

For now, the Lincoln move is just talk to Con-way. "Let's talk about it," Boretz said he told the group. "I'll listen. That's where it is."

While they've been talking with Boretz, Williams, Edlen and von Schlegell have another connection to Con-way. All three have done business with Peter W. Stott, a Con-way board member and real estate investor.

Williams and Edlen also joined von Schlegell in talking to Sten and Commissioner Sam Adams, the leading candidate in the 2008 mayor's race.

Sten says, and Williams and von Schlegell agree, Lincoln's future should be tied to the Portland Public School's work to renovate all its schools. The district is studying what work needs to be done across the city and may float a 2008 bond measure to pay for the improvements.

Sten knows the work can't focus on Lincoln while some poorer eastside schools go without.

But if Lincoln can sell off its existing property to pay for a new campus, some believe, money from a bond measure could be devoted to other schools.

For more on Portland real estate, visit The Oregonian's real estate blog at blog.oregonlive.com/frontporch. Ryan Frank: 503-221-8519; ryanfrank@news.oregonian.com

map: http://www.oregonlive.com/cgi-bin/pr...6906190290.pdf

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 1:21 AM

I would like to see a new Lincoln built in the base of point towers. A real 21 century high school.

Blows my mind how much that property redeveloped would change that area. Wish someone could convince KGW to build a new tower, to 'compete' with KOIN Tower, on their property too. Anyone have any idea how much this property would go for? and who might have that kind of money?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 7:35 AM

The Duniway Park/YMCA site on Barbur makes a lot more sense to me than way up on 23rd. I think these people are largely forgetting that a large amount of Lincoln's student body uses transit to get to school. Not all 16 year olds have access to or want a car.

The YMCA could stay in business on the south side of the track. Lincoln could be build on the triangle made up of the three blocks lying between Broadway, Barbur and the road running next to the 405. This layout could also help smooth out the hopeless road configuration for traffic going towards the Ross Island bridge.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 3:53 PM

Quote:
The Duniway Park/YMCA site on Barbur makes a lot more sense to me than way up on 23rd. I think these people are largely forgetting that a large amount of Lincoln's student body uses transit to get to school. Not all 16 year olds have access to or want a car.
thats why there is a MAX stop right at Lincoln

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 4:51 PM

Duniway Park is either in or on the border of the Wilson HS jurisditction. The conway sight is more proximal to where most of the Lincoln student body lives: Northwest Portland and the northern portion of the west hills.

Building a highschool on conway would be a good start at getting that area redeveloped and also insure that northwest Portland preserves some semblance of a real neighborhood and does not just become all yuppied out.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 6:38 PM

Due to Lincoln having the International Baccalaureate program 30% of the students are not from it's geographical catchment areas. Those 30% are among the brightest in the city and contribute to making a rarity, an elite public high school. I moved from Forest Grove to Portland for my senior year. There were probably 100 kids in my year alone at Lincoln who were as bright as the best at Forest Grove. Many of those were from the eastside. It would be a shame in my eyes if Lincoln were to lose those kids and its special environment and become just another neighbordhood school by moving out of the city center.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland