HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 3:37 PM

I'd say Knight St. should be upgraded first, to 6 lanes with add/drop as suggested.

But really, neither bridge is in especially bad shape, just busy.

Looking forward to the plebiscite!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I'd say Knight St. should be upgraded first, to 6 lanes with add/drop as suggested.

But really, neither bridge is in especially bad shape, just busy.

Looking forward to the plebiscite!
Knight Street Bridge should get some reworking done to reduce the number of crashes. I swear there's a crash on that bridge every rush hour.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Personally I would love to see the Oak Street Bridge replaced, but only as 6 lanes, with the outer lane on each side being an add / drop with Marine. That way still only 2 lanes would directly enter and leave Van.
New flash: Marine Drive is in Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 6:45 PM

Good news. They should just build two lanes on each side and then demo the old bridge and build 4 more lanes. 8 total would be appropriate. 2 to Oak street and 2 to Marine drive west/east. The same should happen with Knight street bridge, same concept.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
New flash: Marine Drive is in Vancouver.
There are currently 3 lanes touching down into Vancouver - 2 through lanes to Oak (presumably the westbound exit to Marine does not count?) and 1 eastbound exit ramp to Marine.

He just means replacing the exit ramp to Marine with a lane the full length of the bridge.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 10:47 PM

the bridge needs a major upgrade that would help a lot of the issues. good thing is that the Vancouver policy of no new car lanes blah blah blah doesn't apply to the province. BC, being a higher level of government, can ignore that policy and not care at all.

if it is 8 lanes
Southbound
- 3 lanes from Oak Street
- 1 lane direct connection from Marine Drive (this way 70th and Oak would have less traffic). would be a bit challenging to engineer but it should be doable with

Northbound
- 3 lanes to Oak Street
- 1 lane to Marine Drive
or
- 2 lanes to Oak Street
- 2 lanes to Marine Drive

if it is 7 lanes
Southbound
- 3 lanes from Oak Street
- 1 lane direct connection from Marine Drive (this way 70th and Oak would have less traffic). would be a bit challenging to engineer but it should be doable with

Northbound
- 2 lanes to Oak Street
- 1 lane to Marine Drive

i.e. same Northbound side design, just with the Marine Exit ramp coming from its own lane. this could be done probably fairly easily with cantilevering along the Northbound traffic side and adding a 5th lane.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 lanes would be more ideal since Oak is 6 lanes wide, 3 lanes connecting to it would get rid of a bit of a bottle neck. though, with the direct connection from Marine Drive and the resulting redesign to get people OFF of 70th Eastbound, this would really help with the traffic at Oak and 70th. you could have a 2-movement light instead of the 3-movement light that is there now. this would decrease the amount of time people sit at a red light, and means that you could get away with the 3 lanes Northbound.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post

But really, neither bridge is in especially bad shape, just
Other than Oak Street's perennial pothole problems

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
There are currently 3 lanes touching down into Vancouver - 2 through lanes to Oak (presumably the westbound exit to Marine does not count?) and 1 eastbound exit ramp to Marine.

He just means replacing the exit ramp to Marine with a lane the full length of the bridge.
Exactly

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I'm not convinced that an off ramp constitutes a "lane".

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 5:53 AM

Has it been mentioned that they are going to 4-lane few kilometers of Lougheed Highway between Mission and Silverdale. After that only one section of the highway west of Mission remains 2 lanes. Completion in 2019, said the new project sign along the road.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Has it been mentioned that they are going to 4-lane few kilometers of Lougheed Highway between Mission and Silverdale. After that only one section of the highway west of Mission remains 2 lanes. Completion in 2019, said the new project sign along the road.
About time. I can't wait until that gets finished. Don't drive it often but when I do I want it to be 4 lanes all the way.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 8:39 AM
Vancouver Moderator

That's good news

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 9:17 AM

Man, about time.

They should be twinning the other remaining 2 lane stretch as well on the eastern edge of Maple Ridge.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Couldn't imagine driving that road every day. A major road like that and in 2017 still only 2 lanes. Wishful thinking but I'd be nice if Lougheed would've been upgraded to a freeway from Mission to Highway 1 via Mary Hill.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:47 PM

When I last did the commute 5 years ago, it wasn't that slow. It was still faster than taking Hwy 1 to Abbotsford than cutting back up. Occasionally I would hit slow traffic so a passing lane was a nice to have.

Still a shame that Mission hasn't quite grown as I expected they would. I wasn't speculating on my condo there but would've been nice not to lose money.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 1:35 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
The distinction between the Vedder and Chilliwack rivers has always confounded me, but I think that the name change occurs at the existing bridge, which would mean that in my mind the new bridge therefore spans the Vedder river.

The more interesting questions are (a) whether the new bridge will change the demarcation point, (b) if so, when that change would occur, and (c) whether anyone actually cares.
It used to be that the Chilliwack river ran north from the bridge, but the river moved and reversed flow up Vedder Creek.

Vadder canal entrenched that direction change.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:01 AM

All it took was 1 arsonist crackhead to take down Atlanta's major arterial freeway for over a month. Similar cases seem to have happened elsewhere in the US as well.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:35 AM

It's pretty embarrasing how Port Mann Bridge, the world's second widest highway bridge, is completely dark after sunset whereas the widest bridge in the world has a massive light show.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:51 AM

The Vancouver area is pretty bad with lighting features in general, but our bridges are exceptionally bad.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 6:04 AM

Quote:
All it took was 1 arsonist crackhead to take down Atlanta's major arterial freeway for over a month. Similar cases seem to have happened elsewhere in the US as well.

Video Link
Wow. WTF?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure