HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 9:49 PM
Resident Moron

If nothing else, they certainly look better than exposed rail tracks down in a hole.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 11:12 PM
New Yorker for life

^ That is correct.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 5:48 PM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...437699190.html

Nordstrom Can't Decide If Shoe Fits

By LAURA KUSISTO
August 4, 2011

Quote:
Like a shopaholic hunting for the perfect pair of shoes, Nordstrom has tried on more than a half-dozen possible locations during its decade-long search for a New York City store, but it still won't commit.

The retailer is now talking to Related about anchoring the retail portion of the developer's Hudson Yards site on the far West Side, according to sources familiar with the matter.

"I think they would be great on the West Side. It's right up their alley. The consumer is probably spot-on for them," said retail broker Karen Bellantoni, an executive vice president of Robert K. Futterman, who doesn't work with Nordstrom. Though it may not open for years, the location, she said, would draw both a hip Chelsea crowd and professional women coming from the Upper West Side.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 7:29 PM

This seems like the perfect deal. Why has Nordstrom's been so hesitant to set up shop in the City? Lack of a perceived "perfect location"?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 7:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
This seems like the perfect deal. Why has Nordstrom's been so hesitant to set up shop in the City? Lack of a perceived "perfect location"?
They can't find space.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 11:07 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.wwd.com/fashion-blogs/an_...rdstroms-11-08

An In Depth Look at Nordstrom's Treasure & Bond

By Sharon Edelson
August 23, 2011

Quote:
Nordstrom has been looking for a site for a full-line store here for two decades, long enough for some real estate experts to believe the company would have found something by now if it were serious. Nordstrom didn't want to compromise. Now, he's seen that "a lot of people have found success over time and made compromises. We're closer than what we've been. We've got some things we're considering. It all is somewhat complicated. It's dependent on the owner and the landlord and there are other factors to consider. We've come close on a couple things, but then the decisions were out of our hands."

Nordstrom may have been referring to the site of the former Drake Hotel on Park Avenue between 56th and 57th Streets. A nonbinding letter of intent was signed, but Nordstrom rescinded it in 2008. Nordstrom could still be examining that spot. One big issue was whether the store would have a 57th Street entrance.

Nordstrom's requirements have always been a tall order to fill. A full-line store calls for 180,000 to 200,000 square feet in a neighborhood with upscale shoppers. Large floor plates don't grow on city trees in densley-populated Manhattan.

Roseman said the smart money is on Hudson Yards, which Related Corp. is developing with Oxford Properties Group on the far West Side. "Hudson Yards will have 600,000 to 1 million square feet of retail space," he said. "My guess is they're going to pull Nordstrom out there. Nordstrom wants ground-up construction. The subway will be up and running by 2013 and there will be thousands and thousands of residential units." A Nordstrom flagship at Hudson Yards would create a phenomenon where, "Truly if you build it, they [shoppers] will come."

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 3:34 AM
BANNED

Nice view of the south facade of the south tower from curbed.com

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...t-tenth-w-th-6

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 3:40 AM

I went into the yards today and they have delived quite abit of rebar to the south towers site.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 3:44 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

This looks like Related's Mima 2.0. I really hope this isn't another wasted opportunity.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 4:48 PM
New Yorker for life

More...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...west-side.html

Quote:
Brookfield’s project, named Manhattan West, calls for two towers of 2 million square feet each and a third of 1.2 million square feet, plus as much as 200,000 square feet of retail space. Related, developer of the Time Warner Center, is planning almost 13 million square feet of construction, including about 6 million square feet of offices, at its 26-acre (11-hectare) Hudson Yards site, a half-block west of Brookfield’s trench.

Both companies aim to start site preparation next year, and say they’ll have their first buildings completed in 2015. They are competing in the same market of tenants, including media, fashion and financial-services firms, offering state-of-the-art, environmentally friendly office space on an island where more than 60 percent of the stock is more than 50 years old.

Accelerating the construction of the deck should help Brookfield compete for tenants with Related, Harbert said.

Part of Related’s site is on “terra firma” -- ordinary land that needs no platform -- on the southeast corner along 10th Avenue, Joanna Rose, a company spokeswoman, said in an e-mail. It plans a 950-foot (290-meter) skyscraper of 1.7 million square feet at that location.
Looks like the shorter tower will be 950 ft.

Quote:
Related is in late-stage negotiations with Coach Inc. (COH), the largest U.S. luxury-handbag maker, to take about 600,000 square feet in the first Hudson Yards tower, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions who asked not to be named because the talks are private. Cross declined to comment.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 5:02 PM
BANNED

If the shorter one is 950 feet, the north tower must be at least 1,250!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 2:42 PM
New Yorker for life

We're getting a pretty big tower right out of the box here. It wasn't long ago the though of 950 ft would have made it one of New York's tallest, but it's still pretty large, especially for that location. It will loom more than taller towers simply because there's nothing even close to that height in the immediate vicinity. Watching this rise along with one of Brookfield's towers would be exciting - who will be the first to crown the West Side as Manhattan's next commercial district?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 11:31 AM
DENNAB

NYC... you da bomb!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 12:53 AM
BANNED

The new Hudson Boulevard park which will be created between 10th and 11th Avenues shows how this area will be transformed.

http://www.mvvainc.com/project.php?id=56

One can also see more images of the plans for Related's Hudson Yards on Van Valkeberg's website

http://www.mvvainc.com/project.php?id=57

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 3:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The new Hudson Boulevard park which will be created between 10th and 11th Avenues shows how this area will be transformed.
Find out more on all of that here...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=123575

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 10:45 PM

Why hasn't anyone made a diagram of these two buildings yet?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 9:23 PM

i have a friends who works in the yards and my father used to work there so i can go in with my pass whenever i want. It seems that theres alot of talk that Related may not have the money to get this project going.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 9:30 PM

^ Let's hope so. Maybe it'll get rebid again and this time, Brookfield with their better looking proposal will win out.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
i have a friends who works in the yards and my father used to work there so i can go in with my pass whenever i want. It seems that theres alot of talk that Related may not have the money to get this project going.
Are people who work at the railyards saying that because construction hasn't started, or did it come from somewhere else, or can you elaborate a bit more on that? Hope you don't mind me asking.

And I thought they had funding from Oxford Properties Group? Either way, if this is even momentarily stalled it could be catastrophic for Related's leasing efforts. Companies could instead look to the WTC where cranes are obviously on site, and MW where they are looking to start construction on the decking in January.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Are people who work at the railyards saying that because construction hasn't started, or did it come from somewhere else, or can you elaborate a bit more on that? Hope you don't mind me asking.

And I thought they had funding from Oxford Properties Group? Either way, if this is even momentarily stalled it could be catastrophic for Related's leasing efforts. Companies could instead look to the WTC where cranes are obviously on site, and MW where they are looking to start construction on the decking in January.
No, they were getting ready to move their employees though it seems that related has told to MTA to hold moving employees.Which was apparently due to not all the financing being in place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive