HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think of this new format?
I really like it 17 45.95%
I'm still trying to get used to it 5 13.51%
I'm not sure...give me more time 6 16.22%
I [still] hate it (warning: you may be banned) 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 4:17 AM

I for one, really like the change. I've posted more on SSP:Local Vancouver in the last week then I have in the 3 months since I moved here. I really like how everything is broken up and separated. It takes just a little bit more time but it's so easy to find information and related discussion on any particular subject. Some people don't like the idea of chatting about restaurants or non-construction topics but that's why the SSP local thingy works; you can involve yourself in what you want to talk about. And for me being new to a city, all the info I can get on Vancouver is helpful.
Maybe it won't work for cities like Calgary, maybe because there's so much traffic that's used to doing things how they've always been done, but I really like the changes so far for Vancouver!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 4:18 AM
Vancouver Moderator

has toronto ever considered? i didn't like it in the beginning but I think it's much easier to look for stuff I'm interested since it's soo organized. Just the downside to that is that it takes forever to view everything.... that's why I want some RSS feed...

sometimes ppl need a kick in the butt and be forced to do something. You never know if you like it until you try!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
You must be reading a different discussion. Of all the people who made responses about the SSP Local concept, only 2 forumers have supported it (Xelebes and Itom). All the rest of the respondents have indicated that they oppose any such change, including all of the Calgary forumers except for freeweed, who has said he would only give support on the condition that there would be software available for "user-defined thread/forum grouping." A few of the Edmonton forumers have said that they like the concept of a local forum, but that SSP is not the place for it, that is what C2E is for. Again, many of the Calgary forumers have expressed that this is not something they want to see changed and have provided reasons, they consider the Western Provinces rearrangement to have been a dumb move, and the underlying sentiment is that a local format would hurt the Calgary forum rather than help it.

If such a change ended up killing the Calgary section, and our construction thread, I would very strongly consider abandoning any further updates here and setting them up on CUI site, since the infrastructure is already in place for such a move. We have only made the choice to continue maintaining the development inventory here since the community is very strong.

Not coincidentally, many of the top Calgary posters on here are CUI members...
It's the same 10 people repeating themselves. And it's not "many," as you say, judging by that thread. Several people can easily overwhelm a thread and create the sense that "many" are posting against an idea but that's not the case. I can certainly appreciate some of the comments from members and they're all taken to heart. For example, at least one of 10 against the change also stated that if we were to introduce a "new posts" function for listing new posts in a SSP:Local section, he'd be all for it. If there isn't one, he'd feel he wouldn't appreciate the change. We are actually working on implementing such a feature based on responses.

But what came first? SSP or CUI? SSP or C2E? They were born out of SSP, but took on a different life because they offered more to people than just discussions strictly on skyscrapers and development. People live in cities and have more to say than comments on development. CUI and C2E have proven that much. Being against something that users obviously want, judging by their support of C2E and CUI, is not conducive to growing a forum and over the last while we've lost enough traffic to C2E and CUI that we want to improve this forum to bring people back who would otherwise be posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
I for one, really like the change. I've posted more on SSP:Local Vancouver in the last week then I have in the 3 months since I moved here. I really like how everything is broken up and separated. It takes just a little bit more time but it's so easy to find information and related discussion on any particular subject. Some people don't like the idea of chatting about restaurants or non-construction topics but that's why the SSP local thingy works; you can involve yourself in what you want to talk about. And for me being new to a city, all the info I can get on Vancouver is helpful.
Maybe it won't work for cities like Calgary, maybe because there's so much traffic that's used to doing things how they've always been done, but I really like the changes so far for Vancouver!
Yeah, I've noticed you've been posting more now. Good to see

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 5:39 AM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
But what came first? SSP or CUI? SSP or C2E? They were born out of SSP, but took on a different life because they offered more to people than just discussions strictly on skyscrapers and development. People live in cities and have more to say than comments on development. CUI and C2E have proven that much. Being against something that users obviously want, judging by their support of C2E and CUI, is not conducive to growing a forum and over the last while we've lost enough traffic to C2E and CUI that we want to improve this forum to bring people back who would otherwise be posting here.
True, CUI grew out of SSP, but CUI is focused first of all on developments and topics on urbanism. It's not a stretch to say that we could steal a significant portion of SSP's Calgary forum away. The SSP forum here could very much turn out to be like the Prairie Provinces forum on SSC as a result.

What Calgary forumers want, and what the current format provides, is a one-stop shop for all updates and development info. I've kept updates going on the basis that the community is still strong and it doesn't make sense for there to be a redundant source of info. I'm fully prepared to provide that one-stop shop elsewhere, if the advantage to staying here goes away.

Another thing I would note is that on the behalf of CUI members, SSP has made it into the Calgary news more than a few times, mostly for the information our subforum provides. Calgarians definately aren't visiting SSP to see the pretty diagrams, or rather, the lack of diagrams for Calgary developments...

Flickr

Last edited by Boris2k7; Oct 3, 2007 at 5:52 AM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Another thing I would note is that on the behalf of CUI members, SSP has made it into the Calgary news more than a few times,
really??? wow, lets hear it.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 2:49 PM
Dreaming in Colour

I think the SSP:Vancouver sub-forum is pointless.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 4:34 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
has toronto ever considered?
It would be the only way to attract GTA folk back to SSP but probably take a minimum of a year of coddling and some key recruitments for it to work

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 4:36 PM

That would be a very good thing to try. Perhaps we'd start with some of the Ontario cities that are already repped, and then move up to TO?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Calgarians definately aren't visiting SSP to see the pretty diagrams, or rather, the lack of diagrams for Calgary developments...
I would encourage you guys to get more pro-active with drawing requests. Head to the diagrams forum and start making requests because the Calgary diagram really does need more love.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 7:33 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
That would be a very good thing to try. Perhaps we'd start with some of the Ontario cities that are already repped, and then move up to TO?
The only way to attract TO is to start with TO - not as a "SSP:Local forum" but as a sub off the Ontario subsection

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 10:41 PM

I'll start a thread there about it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 4:13 AM

So how have the posting stats been with this new format compared to the old board?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 7:05 AM

As I write this, SSP:Local Van has more viewers than Alberta! That's a first...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 3:53 PM

Quote:
True, CUI grew out of SSP, but CUI is focused first of all on developments and topics on urbanism. It's not a stretch to say that we could steal a significant portion of SSP's Calgary forum away. The SSP forum here could very much turn out to be like the Prairie Provinces forum on SSC as a result.

What Calgary forumers want, and what the current format provides, is a one-stop shop for all updates and development info. I've kept updates going on the basis that the community is still strong and it doesn't make sense for there to be a redundant source of info. I'm fully prepared to provide that one-stop shop elsewhere, if the advantage to staying here goes away.

Another thing I would note is that on the behalf of CUI members, SSP has made it into the Calgary news more than a few times, mostly for the information our subforum provides. Calgarians definately aren't visiting SSP to see the pretty diagrams, or rather, the lack of diagrams for Calgary developments...
Where is this CUI forum anyways? I can't find it by navigating from CUI's front page.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 6:28 AM

is it just me or does it seem to be getting quieter and quieter everyday?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 9:31 AM

It's time to move onto the next phase:

Get a catchy new domain name.
Promote us to the outside world.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 4:07 AM
Im smasher000 xD

i still hate it
there's no common meeting place

so boring..

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 6:42 AM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
Where is this CUI forum anyways? I can't find it by navigating from CUI's front page.
I don't think we have a link from the front page. We don't use it right now, due to SSP being here, but it is there if we need it.

Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion