HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 5:05 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Canadian War Museum

Q&A: 'This museum is poised to do amazing things,' says war museum's new director

Don Butler, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 15, 2015 | Last Updated: September 15, 2015 6:49 PM EDT

Stephen Quick, who has led the Canada Space and Aviation Museum since 2010, is the new director general of the Canadian War Museum. He spoke to the Citizen’s Don Butler on Tuesday.

Q: What is it about this job that appealed to you?

A: This museum is poised to do amazing things over the next 10 years. To be given the leadership to carry that forward is a dream job. My DNA seems to be made for it.

Q: What should people know about you?

A: The first thing is, for me it’s an honour to take on this job. I know that that’s overused, but it really is an honour. Whenever a day gets to be difficult and one seems to be drowning under paperwork, walking through the galleries and seeing people interact with their history just is one of the best parts of the job.

Q: I see that you studied design as a student.

A: My mother said I was actually drawing before I could speak and she really hoped I would go back to drawing rather than speaking. I’m still painting, actually, and also in military illustration.

Q: Do you have a background in military history?

A: The military aspect of aviation, certainly, since about the age of three. I have a massive library of military history. I probably have 3,500 titles at home. About 60 per cent of that is aviation, but definitely naval, going back to the Napoleonic wars. Not as much army – more airborne and motorized armour. One of the books I’m reading right now is all about the early Royal Navy. That’s my light reading at night.

Q: The war museum recently marked its 10th anniversary. What’s your vision going forward?

A: My vision really is building on the shoulders of what’s been done to date. A vision doesn’t come from a director general. It comes from a team. The team and I will be building that vision and articulating it over the next year or year and a half. The idea of the museum goes back to the Greek ideal, which is really a place to muse. I think that’s really important for a museum in the 21st century. So I’d like to take us in that direction.

Q: On your watch, the Aviation and Space Museum got a new name and expanded its mandate. Do you foresee any changes that significant during your tenure at the war museum?

A: It’s really too soon to say whether there would be that sort of a change. What I’m going to be doing a lot is listening to the team that’s here and listening to Canadians to see where we need to go next.

Q: Last question: Are you in any way related to Los Angeles Kings’ goalie Jonathan Quick?

A: No, but my father continues to say that he’s my brother. There’s a discrepancy of about 40 years, but my father still is eating out at the local diner on that.

dbutler@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/ButlerDon

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...utive-director

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 5:12 PM

I'd love to see the War Museum expanded by building a gallery to house Canada's war art. The collection deserves to be seen on a permanent basis.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I'd love to see the War Museum expanded by building a gallery to house Canada's war art. The collection deserves to be seen on a permanent basis.
I agree 100%! Only a fraction of the War Museum's collection is actually on display, which is unfortunate. I had the opportunity to see most of it about 25yrs ago when the museum hosted an open house at its warehouse facilities. It was truly fascinating!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 6:01 PM

I have a fairly vivid recollection that the War Art collection was one of the first temporary exhibits at the then-new museum...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 6:16 PM

I think that the museum should reclaim itself from Bluesfest for starters. It is basically inaccessible for that entire event, which is inexcusable.

As for a permanent section for War art, the amphitheatre and meeting rooms could be either reduced or eliminated for the gallery, to me they are too large (almost 1/3 of the building). I dont see too much space for expanding the museum up or out though.

I would like to see a vision for the Museum, it is probably the best Museum in the NCR to me.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 8:15 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
I agree 100%! Only a fraction of the War Museum's collection is actually on display, which is unfortunate. I had the opportunity to see most of it about 25yrs ago when the museum hosted an open house at its warehouse facilities. It was truly fascinating!
I remember when they opened the barn up for visitors. I recall a soviet tank being there. Was that for the 50th anniversary of the end of the war?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
They should just permanently open the warehouse facilities as part of the museum.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 7:09 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Great idea.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 10:32 AM
Living With My Mother

I concur.

I got to know one of the war artists in the last five years of his life. Robert Hyndman was his name and no finer gentleman ever made my acquaintance. He also flew a spitfire during the invasion. A charter member of the greatest generation.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 12:52 PM

If/when all of the institutional buildings get built facing the museum, they could rotate the collection through displays in the lobbies. It would be like the way the Canada Council displays some outstanding works in the lobby of Performance Court on Elgin, only instead of just one, it would be a little archipelago that would include the gallery in the lobby of the War Museum itself, with signage and maybe some markers on the sidewalk indicating the route (e.g., starting from Pimisi Station).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 2:13 PM
Living With My Mother

That's a great idea. Although perhaps a little too good for Ottawa.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 2:18 PM

I was hoping it might be simple and cheap enough to sneak through...

Would "Canadian War Art Walk" be a good brand?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa