HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

American Commerce Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 8:40 PM

That diagram is way off. The height ROOF of Sears Tower is 1451'... not the tops of the ANTENNAE as it indicates. Those are 1730' above street level.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 8:48 PM

O so could I...3rd tallest in America is a nice title and with the way new supertalls are popping up all over the globe I don't think international rankings are worth as much for our psyches since they're changing so fast...

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 8:56 PM
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjawho View Post
...I don't think international rankings are worth as much for our psyches since they're changing so fast...
It's worth a lot to my psyche

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 8:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjawho View Post
When has that ever stopped her before? She comments on proposals all the time....I'm sure we'll hear all about how this will ruin the city in just a little bit.
Actually, I think she might like the proposal. She knows a lot about development and she's very worldly and therefore understands what a building of this stature would do for Philadelphia. I think she won't like the design architecturally though. She'll probably say it's recycled from the original freedom tower inspirations (you have to admit, the design isn't entirely a brand new genre) and that it therefore won't be as iconic. But I think she'll really like it overall, to be honest. Plus, with funding secured and political backing from the highest office in Philadelphia for rezoning, as well as tenants beginning to line up, I don't think she's going to have too much clout this time around if she doesn't like it. It's an understatement to say that it'll be an uphill battle for opponents trying to drown this project. Not with an internationally revered architect behind the reigns.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 9:16 PM

i think its a great bldg.
its about time philly show what is made of

dose anyone know it the top of the comcast bldg. going to be lit up
like the other bldgs. in the city
with out the top not being lit it looks like that its not done at night

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 9:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Actually, I think she might like the proposal. She knows a lot about development and she's very worldly and therefore understands what a building of this stature would do for Philadelphia. I think she won't like the design architecturally though. She'll probably say it's recycled from the original freedom tower inspirations (you have to admit, the design isn't entirely a brand new genre) and that it therefore won't be as iconic. But I think she'll really like it overall, to be honest. Plus, with funding secured and political backing from the highest office in Philadelphia for rezoning, as well as tenants beginning to line up, I don't think she's going to have too much clout this time around if she doesn't like it. It's an understatement to say that it'll be an uphill battle for opponents trying to drown this project. Not with an internationally revered architect behind the reigns.
not to beat a dead horse, but it is precisely because people seem to be getting behind this project that she will probably come out against it. in that profile of her in some rag (I think it was citypaper but don't recall exactly) she took GREAT pride in being the only person to criticize the mural program. that's what she thinks makes her the authority on things she really knows nothing about, the "courage" to come out against them. in other words, she thinks that all you have to do to be a critic is to hate something, or at least say you hate it.
generally, she does little actual architectural criticism. she usually limits her columns to looking at the "urban" aspect of particular projects. she knows she's no architectural critic, so she only really talks about buildings in their larger contexts, not so much individual buildings and their architectural merit.
a few posts back I predicted what she would say about this project, but I don't think I predicted what her overall evaluation of it would be. I think her tone will be generally negative, because of what I said above and the fact that she generally hates almost anything in Philadelphia that goes against what she thinks is our delicate, gossamer urban fabric. the fact that we're not new york is enough for her to come out against any skyscraper project here.
I differ from your thinking that she is worldly. she is clueless. but again I don't want to beat a dead horse. My opinion of her is well known.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 9:59 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Daily News and Inky are second rate at best!

The absolute lame reporting by the Daily news and Philadelphia Inquirer is inexcusable. Most people must realize that they actually buy or “borrow” news stories. Come on, how often do they ever “break” a story. Lame, Lame, Lame.

“Bigger then the World Trade Center” is just bad reporting. “Second tallest building in the world” is both lazy reporting and misleading reporting.

Skyscraper, I couldn’t agree with you more.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 10:06 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Let's meet up for a meeting regarding developement in the city

Question: If I did call a meeting of skyscraper enthusiasts from this thread, let’s say for Friday , April 28th at North Bowl in NoLis, who would come? The meeting would be in reference to how can WE actually get together to make a difference in the designs that are being approved?

I’m tempted to discuss this with people on this thread so we can channel our energy into a productive process that can actually make a difference. Who’s game?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 10:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
not to beat a dead horse, but it is precisely because people seem to be getting behind this project that she will probably come out against it. in that profile of her in some rag (I think it was citypaper but don't recall exactly) she took GREAT pride in being the only person to criticize the mural program. that's what she thinks makes her the authority on things she really knows nothing about, the "courage" to come out against them. in other words, she thinks that all you have to do to be a critic is to hate something, or at least say you hate it.
generally, she does little actual architectural criticism. she usually limits her columns to looking at the "urban" aspect of particular projects. she knows she's no architectural critic, so she only really talks about buildings in their larger contexts, not so much individual buildings and their architectural merit.
a few posts back I predicted what she would say about this project, but I don't think I predicted what her overall evaluation of it would be. I think her tone will be generally negative, because of what I said above and the fact that she generally hates almost anything in Philadelphia that goes against what she thinks is our delicate, gossamer urban fabric. the fact that we're not new york is enough for her to come out against any skyscraper project here.
I differ from your thinking that she is worldly. she is clueless. but again I don't want to beat a dead horse. My opinion of her is well known.
Haha ok cool...well I've only read the article about her in Philadelphia magazine and read a few of her critiques. She's definitely not an authority on architecture - and neither am i by any stretch of the imagination - and she is a bit of a negadelphian (btw who coined that term because they're a genius). But I said worldly because she has lived in other countries for several years and brings a different perspective to things. For me, spending 2007 in South Africa has really shown me how life could be lived, and what cities are like when they're not dependent on cars. Inga will likely be looking for things to pick at - I mean she'll want to keep her reputation of being outspoken and controversial - but I just have a feeling her criticism won't be the avalanche Symphony House garnered. Was she around when Comcast Center was proposed, and did she write anything about it? I know she'll be doing a piece on it when everything is lit in May.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 10:20 PM

More Pictures or Renderings?

It looks like there is a Photo or rendering in the background of the picture with the developer. Has that been posted anywhere?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 11:03 PM

Let's meet up for a meeting regarding developement in the city

there is something called the Design Advocacy Group open to the public that influences design,

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 11:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignLion View Post
That diagram is way off. The height ROOF of Sears Tower is 1451'... not the tops of the ANTENNAE as it indicates. Those are 1730' above street level.
I agree. It's probably somewhere closer to this:

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Question: If I did call a meeting of skyscraper enthusiasts from this thread, let’s say for Friday , April 28th at North Bowl in NoLis, who would come? The meeting would be in reference to how can WE actually get together to make a difference in the designs that are being approved?

I’m tempted to discuss this with people on this thread so we can channel our energy into a productive process that can actually make a difference. Who’s game?
I would be if I was sure I would be up there on the 28th!! It is to far away and the Navy has a tendancy to change on me so we will have to see!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I agree. It's probably somewhere closer to this:

That is closer, however, the roof height of the Sears Tower is 38 feet shorter than the spires of the Petronas Towers. In that view the Petronas Towers spires are much higher compared with the Sears.

Anyway, my Internet has been down since Thursday night, and what a surprise! Its nice to see Philly getting a super tall. After the Com cast Center, the city kinda started to look like a plateau. With this new building Philly will have a new peak!!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 12:02 AM

^I can't believe somebody was paid to make a diagram as laughably inaccurate as that one is. Does the word "research" mean anything to these people?

At any rate, this is great for Philly. It is always satisfying to have an ugly parking lot (especially one so close to downtown) developed into something of this magnitude. I actually like the design. The interesting configuration they chose with the major setback makes it seem like two buildings in one, but the huge hole in the shorter segment makes it interesting, and it helps to make the visual mass easier on the eyes. I guess a single tower would give it a more "singular" and powerful presence, but why not try something new?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 12:04 AM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

Havent I seen this before?... Old WTC proposal? I think they could do better for a supertall in Philly, not to be a dick or anything.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 12:21 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Anyone that uses the diagrams section of this site could see a better diagram here that is actually to scale. Unfortunately, no-one draw a diagram for the ACC yet. then again, this proposal has only been out for a weekend.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 1:12 AM
The Desert Apple

Well I can fake a diagram using one of the renders and that very diagram search:

Puppy stands right up to Jin Mao and destroys ESB! IMO ACC looks way more impressive when you're honest about the height of all the buildings. They actually minimized the impact of ACC because they exaggerated the proportions of the spire and made the building itself look smaller.

But enough picking on that illustration.. this proposal is quite impressive. Crossing my fingers for ya, philly.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 1:13 AM

Location: philadelphia -umm loft district/chinatown, i don't know what its called
photos of the ugly building next to the ACC site

i noticed some of you were talking about how ugly the building was next to it with it having all of its mechanical equipment, dumpsters, loading docks ect. on that side..so i took some shots of the ugly stuff lol....wats not in the shot is whats on the lower roof of that building, which if memory serves correct is ugly too...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 1:37 AM
Mr. Technology

As a major skyscraper fan for most of my life, I want this tower built for Philadelphia.

Then together, Philadelphia and New York can have supertalls !!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive