HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 10:25 PM

I took the sLRT to Southgate this afternoon. It was my first-ever LRT trip beyond Health Sciences. My impressions:

1. I love the new trains. Slick! A far cry from the ancient ones that ran the tracks for the past few decades.
2. The trains were packed with people! Either the novelty hasn't worn out yet and is still attracting first-time curiosity riders, or many people are taking advantage of it for everyday use.
3. The area around South Campus station looks like an industrial wasteland. Regardless of Expo, I hope this area gets redeveloped into coolness ASAP.
4. It was a quick trip from Central station to Southgate - about 15 minutes or so.
5. No pedway from Southgate station to the mall?
6. Didn't go down to Century Park, I'll save that for another trip.
7. The electronic signs displaying arrival times for trains at Southgate station is a great touch, but they need to implement this at all stations - didn't notice these signs at Central or Bay stations.

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I took the sLRT to Southgate this afternoon. It was my first-ever LRT trip beyond Health Sciences. My impressions:

1. I love the new trains. Slick! A far cry from the ancient ones that ran the tracks for the past few decades.
2. The trains were packed with people! Either the novelty hasn't worn out yet and is still attracting first-time curiosity riders, or many people are taking advantage of it for everyday use.
3. The area around South Campus station looks like an industrial wasteland. Regardless of Expo, I hope this area gets redeveloped into coolness ASAP.
4. It was a quick trip from Central station to Southgate - about 15 minutes or so.
5. No pedway from Southgate station to the mall?
6. Didn't go down to Century Park, I'll save that for another trip.
7. The electronic signs displaying arrival times for trains at Southgate station is a great touch, but they need to implement this at all stations - didn't notice these signs at Central or Bay stations.
At the moment, everything from McKernan / Belgravia south has the electric boards, and I imagine the rest of the stations will be updated.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 2:13 AM

ETS purchased 10 more Siemens SD-160 next generations. There are rumblings that the interior may be updated to match the new Calgary cars.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 2:16 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rail car designer View Post
ETS purchased 10 more Siemens SD-160 next generations. There are rumblings that the interior may be updated to match the new Calgary cars.
Bus seating or train seating?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Bus seating or train seating?
train seating. it's reminiscent of a subway, all longitudinal seating with tons of standing space.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 5:21 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rail car designer View Post
train seating. it's reminiscent of a subway, all longitudinal seating with tons of standing space.
Ah, subway seating. Haven't seen those vehicles in Calgary.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 4:41 PM

I just like how the new trains are air conditioned. I also like that the floors aren't carpeted... what the Fargo were they thinking back in the days??

I wonder if they would adopt Vancouver's new MKII seating with two seats longitudinal seats on one side and one longitudinal seats on the other side. Latitudinal seats are great for maximizing space and have a very urban feel to them but it's not as comfortable to sit sideways as it is to face forward or backward. The new MKIIs is pretty much the best of both worlds.

Image by me:

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I just like how the new trains are air conditioned. I also like that the floors aren't carpeted... what the Fargo were they thinking back in the days??
Edmonton had carpeted floors on their trains? WDF?!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 1:00 AM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Edmonton had carpeted floors on their trains? WDF?!
Only on the old U2s. I believe the carpeting will be taken out as they undergo refurbishing.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 2:17 AM

I have proof.

Both taken by me.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 4:56 AM

i love those things - so much character!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 4:12 PM
Urbis Maximus

^Character, yes. But the carpet stinks when the weather is poor and people start tracking in water. I won't miss the carpet.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton