HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 5, 2006, 10:54 AM
Civil Engineer

The growing of Doha, Qatar

As my first post I want to show you some pictures that I've taken in August 2006, while I was doing an internship in Qatar. Some of the pictures are taken whilst driving to the city center, a very big shopping center. That and my crappy camera, explains the lower quality then that you are probably used to.
Anyhow, it should give you a nice idea on the huge number of projects that are busy now in Qatar. And this is just one part of the city.

Let's start in the suburbs: all over Doha, there are towers painted with sport activities for the upcoming Asian Games in November:

One of the things I really don't understand is why the hell there are so many roundabouts in Qatar. I mean, you don't use a roundabout on highways! For me that's one of the reasons why there is traffic jam all the time.

This one is taken on the corniche, a road near the shore.

Also on the corniche, near the little harbour, you can find some authentic looking buildings:

On the corniche, you can have a nice view of a whole new district being build. They don't have to worry about urban planning, they just build on another place in the desert.

Now it was time to get back to the car, August is really the worst time to go to Qatar: the humid levels are spiking and the temperature reaches 50°C. Luckily there is more Airco then humans. We now drove to the city center, one of the few places where you can eat, having fun or shop. On the way I took some more pictures:

The Sheraton Hotel:

And the entrance of the City Center, where our voyage stops:

I hope you enjoyed it. I can ensure you, this is only a very small part of the construction fever in Qatar!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa