HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Ouch ... that hurt ...
Oh grow up.

Hah. Literally

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 8:10 PM

So I was looking at the sheet for this trying to find out when the plan will take effect but was unsuccessful. However according to the wording on the front page it has been revised somehow (I couldn't spot the difference) so I thought it was worth reposting;

http://www.halifax.ca/traffic/docume...heet.Sep10.pdf

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 4:35 PM

The updated plan is available to view on Dawn Sloane's councillor page; http://dawnsloane.ca/documents/Downt...eetsUpdate.pdf

Implementation is expected for Spring 2011.

- DJ

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The updated plan is available to view on Dawn Sloane's councillor page; http://dawnsloane.ca/documents/Downt...eetsUpdate.pdf

- DJ
That new plan makes a much more sense.

People have mentioned doing the same thing in downtown St. John's but our council wouldn't be able to comprehend the positives of it.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 5:34 PM

I agree; this plan looks quite good and makes logical sense to the road network.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 8:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
So in other words council will waffle back and forth for 5 years and then the plan will be shelved?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 9:49 PM
Honored Member

I certainly hope that the HRM will move forward with this street plan in the spring of 2011. Hamilton implemented such a street plan in their downtown area decades ago (they already had an efficient system of one way streets back in 1981 when I first lived there). The Hamilton one way street plan provides very efficient traffic flow through the city.

I wonder if the one way street plan could be expanded throughout the peninsula? The next step would be to develop a true BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) system.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 11:05 PM

Here I was looking hard for the differences between the two street layouts, when I realized it lists them on the new document

Carmichael Street: Should remain in current configuration as a two-way street.

Market Street: Previously shown as one-way street southbound, now one-way northbound.

Blowers Street: Previously shown as one-way westbound, now one-way eastbound.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 7:05 PM

Dave McCusker is presenting the plan to Peninsula CC at its next meeting in a week. THE PLAN looks the same as before the only difference is the implementation date which is now set for June, 2011.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 10:13 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Well, I like the idea of Sackville and Lwr. Water completly going one way. I know it will help some of the congestion issues but I really like the street parking that will be added. It's not that there isn't parking downtown because that's not true. However, it isn't always easy to get the parking in the same area where you are going.
I saw mention of bikeways on Hollis. That's scary. I feel bad for the bikers here as there is never a straight path for them to take due to all the trucks and deliveries that take place on both sides of that street. Sadly painting a line in the road doesn't stop Purolator or Shreadmaster from parking over them.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 5:39 AM

So a little birdie has told me that this project is now pushed back until Spring 2012.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 7:36 PM

I honestly can not wait until they implement this new street network. I have been living in Montreal for the past year and almost every street in the downtown core is one way and they have all kinds of room for parking and bikes. I just moved back to Halifax and I feel the need for it more than ever. Hopefully we start seeing information on more firm timelines for this project.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 7:50 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I called this one a few posts up.

HRM doesn't do firm timelines. I would guess that similar plans have been studied, proposed, half-implemented, and shelved multiple times before.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 9:06 PM
Urban Thinker

Welcome to the forum Northend Nerd!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 9:12 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Nerd View Post
I honestly can not wait until they implement this new street network. I have been living in Montreal for the past year and almost every street in the downtown core is one way and they have all kinds of room for parking and bikes. I just moved back to Halifax and I feel the need for it more than ever. Hopefully we start seeing information on more firm timelines for this project.
Don't forget to vote Northend

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=139857&page=6

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 9:48 PM
we built this city

Look for this project to be implemented in early 2022.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Look for this project to be implemented in early 2022.
I hear that they have engaged the 5 Moes to install the new signage, so that sounds about right.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 6:42 PM

Major permanent change to traffic flow on Duke Street

Monday, Nov. 18, 2013 (Halifax, NS) - "During the early morning hours on Thursday, Nov. 21, 2013, HRM will be changing the traffic flow on Duke Street in Halifax between Upper Water Street and Hollis Street to two way traffic. This change will make the final block of Duke Street consistent in flow direction with the remainder of Duke Street.

As part of this conversion, HRM will also be activating the new traffic signals installed at the intersection of Upper Water and Duke streets.

Drivers are advised that in advance of the signal activation, the new traffic signals at Upper Water and Duke will be showing flashing amber (yellow) beginning in the early morning hours on Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013. During this period of flashing signals, traffic flow on Duke Street will remain as one way westbound until the signals are fully activated.

Drivers are reminded that a flashing amber light means motorists are not required to come to a complete stop and may proceed with caution. However, they must yield to traffic and pedestrians in the intersection."

Source : Halifax Regional Municipality Press Release (November 20th, 2013) - Halifax.ca

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure