HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 5:24 PM

OAKLAND | Howard Terminal (A’s stadium) development and Coliseum redevelopment

A’s propose ‘jewel box’ ballpark for waterfront, Coliseum redevelopment

SF Chronicle - Matier & Ross | Nov. 28, 2018 | Updated: Nov. 28, 2018 4 a.m.
Quote:
The Oakland A’s are set to unveil a “bigger than baseball” mega-ballpark deal that includes a “jewel box” waterfront stadium at Howard Terminal on the city’s waterfront.

The plan would also turn the current Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum site into a tech and housing hub that would keep the Oracle Arena as is, while stripping the massive stadium there down to a low-rise sports park and amphitheater.
Quote:
The ballpark itself would be nestled amid wedge-shaped high-rises — some as tall as 20 stories — with windows looking directly down on the playing field.

The site is too windy for the ballpark to be open to the water, but the stadium would include a publicly accessible rooftop park with sweeping views of the waterfront, Oakland and San Francisco.

“Instead of a ballpark that sits like a fortress, this will be open and accessible to the community at all times” when games aren’t taking place, Kaval said. “It will be a reason to live in the community, activate Jack London Square and become a great landmark in the Bay Area.”

The plan also includes an aerial gondola to shuttle 6,000 fans an hour from downtown Oakland over Interstate 880 and the railroad tracks to Jack London Square. While not shown, the plan would also feature a couple of pedestrian bridges over the tracks — though apparently not an auto bridge.

Last edited by OhioGuy; Nov 28, 2018 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 5:32 PM

Following images from ABC7news.com

Howard Terminal:

Oakland Coliseum site:

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 7:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

Wow

What's the likelihood this actually happens?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 12:10 AM

Looks like multiple key players are all involved. Could make a difference in bringing this to fruition.

https://twitter.com/oakstadiumwatch/...306720256?s=21

Quote:
Something to not overlook: while lots of details to be worked out, at this point the A's and City of Oakland *appear* to all be on the same page regarding planning a ballpark. That hasn't happened in the last 20 years, and its huge.
https://twitter.com/oakstadiumwatch/...724608512?s=21

Quote:
Biggest takeaway: City, County, Port *and* A's at the same table saying they all support this happening.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 1:38 AM

Wow! I'll be damned. They will be moving to new ballpark. Can't wait to see it!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 6:04 AM
TL;DR

So... the sports team is moving to a site far from BART, while abandoning a site with its own BART station. All so fans can go hang out at a trendy restaurant or brewery before games.

Meanwhile, the old stadium site will retain its BART station, but all the most valuable land for housing and office growth right next to the station will become a huge park with a couple of token suburban-style office parks around the fringes.

This is everything that's wrong with Bay Area development... why not just build a park on the Howard Terminal site and leave the A's where they are? Plenty of room to build a new stadium next to the old Coliseum.

There's also a logistical problem, how will fans get to the new ballpark? I don't see a lot of parking in the site plan, and the only transit option planned (an aerial gondola to Jack London Square) is a joke.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 12:40 PM

There was a study previously conducted on how to connect Jack London with the downtown core. Various options were studied, including a BART infill station somewhere between West Oakland and 12th Street stations. While technically possible, it was deemed too expensive. I wonder if there’s enough value now via perhaps a taxing district in the vicinity of a potential new infill station to help finance it? Though land and construction is certainly more expensive now than back in 2004 when this study was conducted. https://www.bart.gov/sites/default/f...asibility1.pdf

Ultimately whenever the Bay Area finally funds a second Bay crossing, the line would likely include a station in the vicinity of Jack London. Of course that could be decades away, so it isn’t of much value to transportation concerns of today.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 12:23 AM
Resu Deretsiger

The orientation of the ballpark should be the same as the old oakland one, as you would be able to see downtown. All that you will be able to see looking down center field is the Alameda waterway and some of Jack London Square which is not very tall. All the good views will be from those gigantic office buildings or whatever they are.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 4:01 PM

gorgeous design.... i love it.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 6:32 AM

The proposals are nice, but with the Warriors moving to SF, and the Raiders moving to Las Vegas, I just don't see how the A's can last in Oakland. Don't get me wrong: in a perfect world, the Warriors, the Raiders, and the A's would be in Oakland forever, but nowadays in today's sports, where the highest bidding cities gain sports teams, and mid-size cities like Oakland have to fight tooth and nail just to retain it's sports teams, it just gets harder and harder to keep 3 professional sports teams in Oakland.

It's one thing if the Warriors leave Oakland for SF, considering the Warriors are a regional sports team, hence the name Golden State, but for the Raiders to leave Oakland for Las Vegas, especially considering the history when the Raiders reached the 2nd Super Bowl, to the Steelers-Raiders rivalry during the 70s, to coming back to Oakland in 1994, it's going to be a sad moment once the Raiders leave. I just don't see the A's sticking around for the next five years.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 3:05 PM
Show me the blueprints

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 4:34 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
The proposals are nice, but with the Warriors moving to SF, and the Raiders moving to Las Vegas, I just don't see how the A's can last in Oakland. Don't get me wrong: in a perfect world, the Warriors, the Raiders, and the A's would be in Oakland forever, but nowadays in today's sports, where the highest bidding cities gain sports teams, and mid-size cities like Oakland have to fight tooth and nail just to retain it's sports teams, it just gets harder and harder to keep 3 professional sports teams in Oakland.

It's one thing if the Warriors leave Oakland for SF, considering the Warriors are a regional sports team, hence the name Golden State, but for the Raiders to leave Oakland for Las Vegas, especially considering the history when the Raiders reached the 2nd Super Bowl, to the Steelers-Raiders rivalry during the 70s, to coming back to Oakland in 1994, it's going to be a sad moment once the Raiders leave. I just don't see the A's sticking around for the next five years.
If anything, I would argue being left with one team makes it much easier to retain it. The city is left to focus on one team, instead of 3. I am confident the As will stay in Oakland, specially with a new stadium proposal.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 7:10 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Yes

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 8:07 PM

photo credit: Bjarke Ingels Group

Updated design now features a more circular shape and wider access from Jack London Square.

https://www.archdaily.com/912347/big...letics-stadium

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 8:46 PM
Show me the blueprints

Liked the previous one a little bit better.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I think the space between the foul poles was better in the previous version, but the overall shape, site access, entry sequence, and surrounding development plan is better in the new design IMO.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
I agree.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:12 AM

I completely agree that the original design was much better, especially the surrounding buildings. The main thing that was lost was the fact that it paid tribute to Shibe Park.

On a side note, I'm glad to see the field from the Coliseum staying. I'd like to see more of the ballpark repurposed for their proposed development like what happened with Bush Stadium in Indianapolis but I didn't know where i could submit my comments to whoever came up with the plan.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:18 AM
Show me the blueprints

Yeah the previous seemed much more architecturally unified in a singualr vision/broad stroke kind of way, if that makes sense. It just seemed a lot more bold and cohesive. The new plan looks quite nice don't get me wrong. I just hope it happens.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah the previous seemed much more architecturally unified in a singular vision/broad stroke kind of way, if that makes sense. It just seemed a lot more bold and cohesive. The new plan looks quite nice don't get me wrong. I just hope it happens.
Me too. Honestly, if this thing doesn't get built despite the A's unprecedented efforts to make this as good a bargain for this city as possible, Oakland doesn't deserve a team.

Oakland’s Athletics need a home. They may get one — and provide 6,000 more

https://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/l...310-story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development