HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I hate hate HATE that they didn't include rail.
The bridge was built for rail. It has the right of way and infrastructure (excepting, obviously, the rail).

So if there's ever a Westchester-Rockland rail link, the bridge won't be an impediment.

The new Goethals, too, is built to accommodate rail.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 1:08 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Not often you see asphalt topped decks on bridges where exposed decks have typically been concrete. I’m wondering if this is a precaution to add extra protective layers to the deck substrate. Past issues in bridges were salt getting in the cracks and reaching steel tendons either supporting or holding the span together.
Knowing Cuomo and his car-guy persona, I assume the deck is asphalt so you can get that nice, quiet ride...

But yes, it can increase the longevity of the concrete if done correctly. Signature bridges in Europe (Oresund, Great Belt, etc) often have this.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The bridge was built for rail. It has the right of way and infrastructure (excepting, obviously, the rail).

So if there's ever a Westchester-Rockland rail link, the bridge won't be an impediment.
Indeed. Just one of the spans is currently hosting all 8 lanes of traffic, and it's not all that claustrophobic. That's a testament to how much space they have here to work with.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 11:38 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 11:59 PM

the second span will be open Saturday.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:10 AM

We still do build great things in this country, huh? Proud to see

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:32 AM

this is what's planned for that huge lot along the river, if anyone was wondering.

Edge-on-Hudson

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 9:04 PM

Good to see brownfields get rehabbed, and to see medium density housing in a suburban area near commuter rail.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 1:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
We still do build great things in this country, huh? Proud to see
Yeah, there are a few other bridges under construction in the area, but this one is tops in my opinion.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 4:57 PM
Show me the blueprints

It is a beautiful bridge that I think turned out great, with two caveats:

1) The concrete piers of the approach structure should have been of the same geometric outward flaring design as the main supports instead of the dowdy highway engineers manual design that was built. That would have brought a great design up to stellar.

and

2) The bridge should have been built as originally planned with space for future rail. I see the financial logic of it but cannot imagine it will be an easy modification further in the future and will likely cost multiple of what it would have if it was purpose built along with the rest of it. And that's if it ever happens at all. I'm willing to state right now that I will personally remove my kidney with a rusty steak knife in a dirty sauna if the rail infrastructure is ever added to the bridge --- and that's a real shame.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 3:31 AM
New Yorker for life

It was designed with rail in mind.

https://www.enr.com/articles/39059-t...fway-to-finish

Quote:
A driving force behind the main-span design was the need to accommodate a future Metro-North commuter rail line. “The foundations needed to support heavy rail without [crews] needing to work in the river,” says Bergman. The outward-leaning legs of the main-span towers are designed so that a third deck can be built between the twin structures to handle commuter rail, he says. “The towers are arranged such that the inner legs can be connected at the top and cable anchorages installed between,” he says.

The NYSTA invested $300 million to prepare the structures for future rail, but, when open, the new bridge will have room for dedicated bus lanes.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 4:50 PM
Show me the blueprints

Right, but I said my opinion was the bridge should have been built for future rail not designed for future rail. I was aware the bridge had been engineered so that a future rail deck could be built, I just think they should have just built it now, not 15-25 years (or never) in the future when it will cost much more.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 11:02 AM

Well, they've delayed the opening of the second span due to stability issues associated with deconstruction of the former bridge. Let's hope its not a big deal, and they can resolve that and proceed with the opening.

I'm still scratching my head thinking how they will fit Metro North in between the two spans in-spite of the renders.

Also, are they going to keep the two spans connected with the overpasses as pictured in the previous post(s)?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 9:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Right, but I said my opinion was the bridge should have been built for future rail not designed for future rail.
That basically means you wish the future rail had been built. That's a whole separate issue.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 11:31 PM
Show me the blueprints

Correct. I believe the decision was penny wise and pound foolish.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 3:14 PM

A bit of controversy involving opening of the second span. Eek

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 8:01 PM

Explosives to Be Used in the Demolition of a Tappan Zee Bridge Span

Quote:
The 672-foot east span of the former bridge, which is closest to the Westchester side, will be demolished using explosives at 9:30 a.m. on Jan. 12.

The original plan was to dismantle the whole bridge piece by piece rather than to use explosives, which officials worried might adversely affect Hudson River fish and wildlife.

But in September, workers dismantling the east span heard a loud popping sound and soon discovered that the structure was unstable. Taking that part of the bridge apart piece by piece could lead to collapse, Tappan Zee Constructors, the company responsible for the demolition, determined.

[...]

After the demolition, only a portion of the west span, nearer Rockland County, will remain; it will continue to be dismantled piece by piece, according to Tappan Zee Constructors.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 10:03 PM
Development Shill

^ I look forward to seeing the video on youtube in a week then

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 5:42 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: 5BFilms

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development