HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 11:34 PM
TL;DR

^ That's why I suggested building a new Home Depot on the stadium parcel with sports fields on the roof. Basically clone the South Loop Home Depot and put artificial turf where the rooftop parking deck would be. Then elevate everything one more story and put Home Depot's parking below the store, slightly below grade.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ That's why I suggested building a new Home Depot on the stadium parcel with sports fields on the roof. Basically clone the South Loop Home Depot and put artificial turf where the rooftop parking deck would be. Then elevate everything one more story and put Home Depot's parking below the store, slightly below grade.
Ah, I must have missed that. I'd love to see that Home Depot redeveloped. Hopefully they'd handle the parking better than the Target on Division.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 4:23 PM
TL;DR

^ Even Target on Division would be a huge upgrade over the North Ave Home Depot, urbanistically. On the other hand, that particular location is the best one in the city by a longshot especially for pros, they have more competent staff, bigger inventory, longer hours etc than all the other locations so I'd hate to see it close totally. The only other place with that level of service is Clark Devon Hardware all the way up in Rogers Park.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 5:21 PM

too much park. period. those that disput my comments about specific parks being underused becuase that park is too close to another park make my point for me....

also, didnt most people on this forum say we have too much parkland when Goerge Lucas wanted to bulldoze the lakefront? just sayin.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 5:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
too much park. period. those that disput my comments about specific parks being underused becuase that park is too close to another park make my point for me....

also, didnt most people on this forum say we have too much parkland when Goerge Lucas wanted to bulldoze the lakefront? just sayin.
This area is currently a park desert (Oz Park is closest park to the east Wrightwood Park to the north, Holstein to the west and Pulaski to the south) which is fine because it is industrial area. As it moves away from industrial and towards residential/mixed-use there needs to be parks for those people.

Literally nobody made that argument as the Lucas Museum would have increased parkland.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
Literally nobody made that argument as the Lucas Museum would have increased parkland.
Right. It's a freaking asphalt surface parking lot now and the project would have created park land.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:03 AM

Quote:

I try to be a kind person on this forum, but your recent string of posts have been bordering on pure nonsense, and it almost make me wonder if this is just a troll trying to rile us up...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 8:46 PM

Rahm must really be pulling out all the stops for this one to go through before he leaves office. I just received an email from Alderman Hopkins on revised master plan. Seems like this one will indeed go to the Plan Commission on Thu.

Updated Master Plan:
http://www.lincolnyards.com/sites/de...ry2019_web.pdf

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 9:51 PM

I'm also more intrigued by this site than I was at first just because I want to see how it all plays out. It being built or not isn't as big of a deal to me, but the way it has evolved is very intriguing. Could be a relic of history if aldermanic prerogative is removed in the next 10 years.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 1:02 AM

I love it. It's about time someone brought the suburban office park concept to the city.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 2:52 AM
Show me the blueprints

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station View Post
I love it. It's about time someone brought the suburban office park concept to the city.
I'm not a fan of the development, but it isn't even close to suburban office park developments. You're just being silly lol

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 3:52 PM

I still think it’s too much parkland, however I’m glad to see the density just increased by 1,000 housing units and 1 million or so sq feet of office space. I also saw in the tribune that Sterling Bay controls 15 more acres of land nearby not covered by this PD. That will likely end up as high density development that will absorb the parkland.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
I still think it’s too much parkland, however I’m glad to see the density just increased by 1,000 housing units and 1 million or so sq feet of office space. I also saw in the tribune that Sterling Bay controls 15 more acres of land nearby not covered by this PD. That will likely end up as high density development that will absorb the parkland.
True, I had completely forgotten about that part. Man, SB owns so much land right now. I just hope they actually build on it and don't sit on it like we've had developers do in the past

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 9:38 PM

I feel a good bit better about this plan after having read this latest master. They are saying and doing the right things about making this a good pedestrian experience - small blocks, midrise podiums with active retail uses, car access in the back/side streets, etc.

The proposal for the North Park is also awesome. Love the use of industrial elements, and the view of the river and skyline from the ampitheatre could be one of the great Chicago vantage points.

Transit access continues to be my biggest worry. The majority of the site is 10-15 min walk from an L line, including the main office areas, which is rough. The proposed transitway would help, although it's still a bit vague and kind of far from the office sites.

More frequent service on the 72 and 73 connecting the L stations would help (currently those headways are 8-20 minutes). Another solution would be a bus circulator route, looping through Dominick, Armitage, Sheffield, Clybourn, and North to link in the Red and Brown lines. Even if that only runs during rush hour, it will help a lot for accessibility. Doesn't look like Dominick is designed for heavy bus traffic, but maybe the office tenants could coordinate it amongst themselves?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 10:30 PM
The City

Rahm is clearly trying to push this through before he exists.

I hope he does the same with “The 78” and that new Red Line station

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 3:18 AM

Has anyone thought about this in the context of everyone in Wicker Park and Logan always complaining about blue line delays and overcrowding?
It's genius. If you can't bring the people to the loop, bring the loop to the people!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 3:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I missed this. Where are the 15 additional acres?

And does anybody know what's going to happen with the General Iron site? Guess SB won't be putting a public park there...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 3:51 AM
TL;DR

^ SB does own other properties in the area, mostly sandwiched between Elston and the Kennedy (SiPi Metals, the building with the colossal tripod billboard, etc). These parcels are not included within the boundaries of the Lincoln Yards PD, so Sterling Bay will have to go back to the community to get zoning changes for those parcels. Or possibly they are just holding them to corner the market in this area so other developers don't leech off the new infrastructure right away. Eventually they will either sell or try to build something there, but they have plenty of buildings to fill within the PD.

I'm okay with General Iron not being parkland, especially if there is extensive parkland right across the river on the former 2FM site. For one, Sterling Bay doesn't own the General Iron site. But also, if this development is to function, it will require a good transit connection to downtown and the easiest way to do that is to use the old Chicago Terminal RR tracks... tracks which run right through the General Iron site. In my mind there's no reason a park can't coexist with buses or streetcars, but the community seems to feel differently...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:20 PM

The alderman fully supports the project.

It’ll be approved!

But it’s going to be a long day. Lots of people here to testify.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development