HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:26 PM

I didn't realize there'd be some permanent steel attachment to the RF corner there. That's concerning

would like to see a render if anyone knows of one

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:39 PM
BANNED

^Looks like it's just for access. Maybe for ADA compliance?

I agree with you HowardL. The atmosphere has greatly improved while still maintaining the one of a kind character of the neighborhood. Not to mention the transformation of the Park itself has been unbelievable. Ricketts has been a true blessing to this landmark.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
I didn't realize there'd be some permanent steel attachment to the RF corner there. That's concerning

would like to see a render if anyone knows of one
The Cubs have a website for the renovations of Wrigley. Here's what that corner is supposed to look like. These were from several years ago, but the addition of a few feet of steel aligns with the artist's concept. There is likely to be increased concession space, an enhanced United Club, an elevator for ADA compliance, and possibly the VIP entrance.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 6:32 PM

Yep^^

and the seating diagram exhibit found here is very helpful (the steel we see in this photo set appears to be the support for the extended newly numbered section 232)-

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2018...e-december-6#0

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 8:20 PM

hmmmmm,

thanks

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 6:51 AM

Wow! I'll be damned.

I bet the fans will like it very much. That will be so beautiful. I bet those players will be very happy.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 3:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Looks like it's just for access. Maybe for ADA compliance?

I agree with you HowardL. The atmosphere has greatly improved while still maintaining the one of a kind character of the neighborhood. Not to mention the transformation of the Park itself has been unbelievable. Ricketts has been a true blessing to this landmark.
Well, after the city made him pay for it himself.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveled View Post
Well, after the city made him pay for it himself.
I will say this as a lifelong, die-hard Cubs fan: The city was right to make the Ricketts Family pay for improvements. No city, especially Chicago, should be dolling out hundreds of millions of dollars in public money for a private enterprise like this. The fact that they call themselves the "Chicago Cubs" does not make them a public enterprise. And besides, they would lose so much value anywhere but at Wrigley. People love the Cubs, but I guarantee that a very sizable portion of the fanbase would refuse to schlep out to Rosemont to see them play. Leaving Wrigley would have been one of the all-time cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face moves in professional sports. At this point, Wrigley and the Cubs are inseparable.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 9:52 PM
TL;DR

^ After the Red Sox renovated Fenway with their own money and the Yankees built a new Yankee Stadium with private money (albeit with subsidized debt) it's hard for the Cubs to cry poverty. The club has the third highest valuation in MLB, even more than the Red Sox.

For other teams in smaller markets, the public financing of stadiums may indeed be a make-or-break thing.

Emanuel was shrewd with the Ricketts in denying them any significant taxpayer money, but he could afford to be shrewd because he knew the Ricketts could make it work.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
The Cubs have a website for the renovations of Wrigley. Here's what that corner is supposed to look like. These were from several years ago, but the addition of a few feet of steel aligns with the artist's concept. There is likely to be increased concession space, an enhanced United Club, an elevator for ADA compliance, and possibly the VIP entrance.

From 1060 Project site

Right Field Enhancements (above): New in 2019, fans will enjoy an expansive bar just inside the Wintrust Right Field Gate and concession stands. The former DraftKings Fantasy Sports Zone space will be refashioned to include an outdoor gathering space with a full service bar and a Cubs Store. Two women's restrooms will be available in the right field area of the main concourse as well. Operational by August of 2019, a new elevator in the right field corner of the main concourse will assist fans with getting to the Terrace Level and Upper Level.

Due to ongoing construction in this area throughout the season, the club will not be available in 2019. The new space, which is scheduled to be completed in advance of the 2020 season, will feature an enhanced design and elevated food and beverage offerings while continuing to deliver best-in-class service. We will share additional details as they are finalized in the coming year.

Bleacher Expansion: As a continuation of the existing deck, the foul territory of the left field Budweiser Bleachers will be extended with new portables concessions and a view of the field. This extension is expected to be completed by Opening Day 2019.

Upper Level Enhancements: In addition to spectacular views, fans will enjoy several new amenities in the Upper Level beginning in the 2019 season, including an outdoor concourse featuring new food and beverage offerings. The left field portion of the new Upper Level outdoor concourse is scheduled to be completed by Opening Day 2019, and the right field portion is scheduled to open in May 2019. New restrooms -- men's, women's and family -- also will be available throughout the Upper Level, an increase of more than 60 percent of restroom fixtures in this area from the 2018 season.

Suites and Premier Seating: The remaining three premier clubs - the Maker's Mark Barrel Room (located just beyond the visitors' dugout), The W Club (located on the third-base side) and the Catalina Club (located behind home plate in the upper level) - are scheduled to be ready for Opening Day 2019.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 1:18 PM
BANNED

I was talking with a trades superintendent on this site and meant to report that the Captain Morgan Club replacement shown above has indeed been pushed back to 2020. The bulk of the work this year is visitor's clubhouse and the suites.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:01 PM

To add to that, what you see in that old image is not going to be built as shown. The portion of RF side shown in that image is going to have the 1930's era facade with windows in walls. They have already framed-in the walls on the second level, much like you see at Addison & Clark under the marquee. You can see it here in picture 9 of 27 - https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2019...te-january-5#8 I cannot believe that they would build that out this year, only to rip it out next.

From what I have read, it is likely that rather than a 2 level with terrace-on-top structure, there will be a 1 level structure, roughly the size of the old Captain Morgan's club, but (hopefully?) more in keeping with the stadium design - think the new Gallagher Way entrance.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
To add to that, what you see in that old image is not going to be built as shown. The portion of RF side shown in that image is going to have the 1930's era facade with windows in walls. They have already framed-in the walls on the second level, much like you see at Addison & Clark under the marquee. You can see it here in picture 9 of 27 - https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2019...te-january-5#8 I cannot believe that they would build that out this year, only to rip it out next.

From what I have read, it is likely that rather than a 2 level with terrace-on-top structure, there will be a 1 level structure, roughly the size of the old Captain Morgan's club, but (hopefully?) more in keeping with the stadium design - think the new Gallagher Way entrance.
Bummed at the news of the annex. I was wondering if it would lead to a Cubs/Wrigley Museum ala Reds Hall of Fame and Museum and Cardinals Hall of Fame and Museum. Scattered artifact displays around the park is okay but was hoping for something more interactive.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:35 AM

Hey, did you see that? Brewers wants to keep Cubs fans out of Miller Park. That's not acceptable! It's not very nice to Cubbies fans. Those Cubs fans want to go to the games.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/brewers...015755504.html

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 12:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Hey, did you see that? Brewers wants to keep Cubs fans out of Miller Park. That's not acceptable! It's not very nice to Cubbies fans. Those Cubs fans want to go to the games.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/brewers...015755504.html
the nationals did this to phillies fans a few years ago, when we would outnumber their fans in their park. seems discriminatory to me. a better answer would be to have a team that the local fans want to come out to see.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 3:22 PM
BANNED

I know plenty of people in Wisconsin. I can have them buy me 20 seats at face value for me and my family and friends for a game. We usually do it once a year, Now I will try to do it twice because of this move.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 4:13 AM

Wrigley Aerials view of the Upper Level enhancements, including a new outdoor concourse, new concessions and new men's, women's and family restrooms. (The left field portion of the new Upper Level outdoor concourse is scheduled to be completed by Opening Day 2019, and the right field portion is scheduled to open in May 2019.)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 1:45 AM

Walked down Addison tonight from Southport ... Oh ... Em ... Gee ... that shit suburban Taco Hell is history. Demolition fencing was up. Shitty little squirt of Schaumburg was gone.

Stopped into Dutch & Doc's to celebrate and admire the new urban feel of that corner.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 9:18 PM

I took a detour through the neighborhood on Sunday and saw that Gold Crown Liquors has moved to the north and there is fencing up between Roscoe and Newport on Clark. I vaguely remember seeing something about a development here but can't remember what it was or find it. Any news?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 9:42 PM

That is all part of the CTA Red Purple Modernization Program (Brown Line flyover). They are demo'ing the remaining buildings in the path and moving one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development