HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 3:39 PM
-

1301 Annunciation St·New Construction · Ref Code: 1NEQZD
Download (54) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Edwards Communities Construction Company, LLC
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/23/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Construct 4-story 277 space precast concrete parking garage for multi-family project per plans.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:38 PM
-

State Palace items were on the ARC review today.. curious to hear how this goes!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
Its easy for me to say of course, but I'd rather the State Palace sit idle and neglected another 5 years until demand/interest grows enough to justify the costs of renovation rather than permanently lose it.

Once that dime a dozen hotel's built there's no getting the theater back.
I hear ya, but that's likely a tough pill to swallow for the businesses around there. Probably the worst corner on Canal St. There was a shooting inside of the "China Wall" not too long ago, plus multiple broad daylight shootings on that block. One of my coworkers almost got hit. The blight really brings down the whole area. I want to see a renovation too, but seems like that really has to be balanced with restoring a corner that's been so run-down for so long, no?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO-ATL View Post
I hear ya, but that's likely a tough pill to swallow for the businesses around there. Probably the worst corner on Canal St. There was a shooting inside of the "China Wall" not too long ago, plus multiple broad daylight shootings on that block. One of my coworkers almost got hit. The blight really brings down the whole area. I want to see a renovation too, but seems like that really has to be balanced with restoring a corner that's been so run-down for so long, no?
i think in a perfect world we could have it all but thats not reality sometimes its give and take i guess... i thnik we all agree this block and the one south are holding back the area... we are seeing some movement on the block south of here so its time to see whats best.. ultimately though there isnt anything to be done to save the theatre if the owner doesnt want it theres really nothing anyone can do .. tough situation

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO-ATL View Post
While I totally understand there's little we can do here, and that it'd be nice to fix up that part of Canal, I think the real cause of violence in the area is the lack of a centralized and well-patrolled transit hub. Right now you have a bunch of people waiting for buses around that area and violence is a result of two people beefing who run into each other around the bus stops.

Better patrols and a centralized/organized transit hub are an actual fix to the issue rather than opening another hotel -- although this city cares more about protecting tourists than citizens, so maybe putting tourists in harms way will result in proper public service.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
While I totally understand there's little we can do here, and that it'd be nice to fix up that part of Canal, I think the real cause of violence in the area is the lack of a centralized and well-patrolled transit hub. Right now you have a bunch of people waiting for buses around that area and violence is a result of two people beefing who run into each other around the bus stops.

Better patrols and a centralized/organized transit hub are an actual fix to the issue rather than opening another hotel -- although this city cares more about protecting tourists than citizens, so maybe putting tourists in harms way will result in proper public service.
well i definitely think a centralized transit hub is a must and will solve lots of issues, we still need to fix abandoned properties too. its a huge theatre and its value is limited in the current market, so i just dont know what else can be done... i only remember going to a rave there once but otherwise couldnt really tell what it was like.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:20 PM

In other news:
Algiers Riverfront project approved for scaled down plans:
http://canalstreetbeat.com/riverfron...87-apartments/
Looks like they are keeping the size of the buildings, just fewer of them. At 8 floors, still decent density for that area.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 4:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
In other news:
Algiers Riverfront project approved for scaled down plans:
http://canalstreetbeat.com/riverfron...87-apartments/
Looks like they are keeping the size of the buildings, just fewer of them. At 8 floors, still decent density for that area.
im glad to see this approved because they can come back with another phase and accomplish the same thing; however, the stupidity of people who want affordable housing on one hand and then complain about density on the other really piss me off. More supply equals cheaper prices... simple economics! theres a reason why San Francisco is so damn expensive and its because its nearly impossible to build new supply. If we want to avoid that destiny here.. especially a place with limited land.. density is a must!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 5:39 PM
-

MSY North Terminal Photos

These photos are courtesy of a poster on MSY airliners.net forum:

Confirmed that the opening date will be Feb. 20, 2019 for the new terminal on local spotter page. Delta SkyClub and United Club will be on Concourse C side of the airport. Concouse A will be closed in completely next month. Jetbridges delivered in next couple of months. Concessions/Retail buildout will begin in July starting in C and working over to A. Also, currently conducting a land use survey to determine what the future holds for southside of the airport property including terminal demolition.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 5:41 PM

Smoothie King moving its HQ to Dallas. Although it claims it will keep a presence in Metairie and also continue with its naming rights deal at the Smoothie King Center.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:02 PM
-

533 Third St·HDLC COA · Ref Code: UZSM5M
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Charles Neyrey
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
4/23/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Demolition of 4 existing structures on 5 adjacent lots on 1 block in the Irish channel. On of the buildings sits on two of the lots (533 3rd street and 521 3rd street). The addresses and building descriptions are as follows: 1) 533 3rd Street - 9,500 SF metal warehouse structure. Another portion of this building sits on 521 3rd Street; 2) 521 3rd Street - 2,600 SF metal warehouse. Another portion of this building sits on 533 3rd Street; 3) 520 2nd Street - 6,750 SF metal warehouse structure; 4) 2509 Rousseau Street - 1,680 SF metal warehouse structure; 5) 2511 Rousseau St - 700 brick ranch style commercial structur

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:09 PM
-

925 Decatur St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: EHYQDP
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Kevin Atkinson
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/23/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Renovate 1st and 2nd floor of existing 3-story building as a standard restaurant as per plans. No occupancy on the third floor.

Digital data services company iMerit to open New Orleans office, eventually hire 100 people

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...ticle-nav-next

Looks like that DXC move is helping attract some similar stuff already

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:21 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm991 View Post
Smoothie King moving its HQ to Dallas. Although it claims it will keep a presence in Metairie and also continue with its naming rights deal at the Smoothie King Center.
I hate to see them go but they only employs 80 people out in Metairie .. so if they keep 20 percent of those its about 60 jobs leaving. Given that the new CEO was focused on taking the brand to ASIA and we dont have direct access there Im not sure what other things we could do to keep them here. although im glad to see they will maintain some corporate operations here and naming of the arena at least!

New 196-room Eliza Jane hotel opens in New Orleans' Central Business District

A new 196-room Hyatt-brand boutique hotel opened Monday in New Orleans’ Central Business District.

The Eliza Jane is part of Hyatt’s Unbound Collection, which launched in 2016 and includes new and existing high-end properties.

The hotel is built within nine distinct-looking historic warehouses that are united inside. The hotel features 50 suites, a fitness center, garden courtyard and Couvant, a signature French brasserie that is scheduled to open this summer. It also has a 2,000-square-foot open-air courtyard.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...iderail-latest

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 25, 2018 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:37 PM

good updates... thanks.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:42 PM
-

1300 Magazine St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: GZ3GM6
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
D Glasgow Architecture
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/25/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Interior renovations and build out of an existing historic building into a business use (auction house with no storage on site) on the ground floor and two apartments on the existing second and third floor. See drawings for the balance of the work. No work will occur on the exterior of the building except alteration to the off-street rear door and alterations to the front door to bring it into ADAAG compliance. The building will be sprinklered.

Ochsner, Acadia Healthcare open doors to 82-bed behavioral health facility

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...ticle-nav-next

'This is a big one': Formosa picks St. James Parish for $9.4 billion chemical complex

Formosa Petrochemical Corp. has selected St. James Parish for a $9.4 billion chemical manufacturing complex employing 1,200 plant workers.

A subsidiary of the Taiwanese company could begin construction as soon as next year in an anticipated 10-year building and development process in two phases. Construction is expected to peak at 8,050 jobs over a four-year period, according to Louisiana Economic Development officials.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...50073db9d.html

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:48 PM
-

Proposed 'co-living' complex gets tax break, agrees to keep rents steady for 15 years

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...a122ed062.html

First Louisiana marijuana pharmacy license approved for N.O. drug store in surprise vote

The state's first license for a medical marijuana pharmacy was awarded Tuesday in the greater New Orleans region to the longstanding owner of H&W Drug Store to dispense the drug at a proposed Gentilly location.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...dbf68e0cc.html

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:54 PM
-

Deep South Studios gets first tenant

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:13 PM

what the heck is co-living?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:24 PM
NOLA Razorback

[QUOTE=tennis1400;8167522]Proposed 'co-living' complex gets tax break, agrees to keep rents steady for 15 years

I did not realize it would be $1300 per resident for a bedroom that's in a shared.. That's kind of insane
At least they're not allowing short term rentals for the next 15 years

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:25 PM
-

[QUOTE=jjslonaker;8167575]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Proposed 'co-living' complex gets tax break, agrees to keep rents steady for 15 years

I did not realize it would be $1300 per resident for a bedroom that's in a shared.. That's kind of insane
well remember they provide literally everything for you but clothes... all utilities , furniture, etc.. still its an interesting concept that i think will def be geared more towards out of towners

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations