HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 12:17 AM

The Shell gas station at North & LaSalle says "In Contract" now on LoopNet. Hmm....

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
so much good stuff lost in that area in the past several years

whats the status of the 3500 block of Ashland? another heartbreaker....

Oof... I go by that lot about 4 times a week and it also is disappointing. Was the reason for demolishing based on structural integrity problems? There's a ton of old stock like that in the neighborhoods around there. Lots or reuse potential that if wasted defeats the purpose of TIF funds in my book (instead we'll waste it on Navy Pier...)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:32 AM
The City

^ Seriously, doesn’t the loss of those buildings piss you off?

Every time we lose one of those it’s one step closer to being one of those worthless Sunbelt cities....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:51 AM

That's why you have to buy them and turn them into hipster communes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
It all depends on the materials.

Good materials = sick
Bad materials = sick
FTFY

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 3:43 PM

Quote:
^ Seriously, doesn’t the loss of those buildings piss you off?

Every time we lose one of those it’s one step closer to being one of those worthless Sunbelt cities....
Every time we lose one it tears away a little piece of my soul.

I feel the same way about the Habitat for Humanity homes that are popping up. I have nothing against HforH, they do great work, but their little suburban homes have no place in the middle of an otherwise intact block of classic red brick Chicago housing.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
Every time we lose one it tears away a little piece of my soul.

I feel the same way about the Habitat for Humanity homes that are popping up. I have nothing against HforH, they do great work, but their little suburban homes have no place in the middle of an otherwise intact block of classic red brick Chicago housing.
Where do you see those?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:05 PM

What's going in at the SE corner of Lake and Racine? I thought I saw casson rigs from the train...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
It all depends on the materials.

Good materials = sick
Bad materials = shit
I love vertical additions. This reminds me a bit of the George Apartments near Wheaton Station in the Maryland suburbs of DC, which took an extremely bland 5 story office building and turned it into a rather attractive 11 story apartment building, with a pretty good aesthetic result, IMO.

Before:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0378...7i13312!8i6656

After:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0378...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 4:49 PM

https://news.wttw.com/2019/02/07/mis...-way-back-home

Glad the chandeliers have been preserved from the Uptown theatre, and apparently the guy plans on returning them back to the theatre when it's restored. Since he has made exact replicas for his own theatre in Barrington. Hopefully, the restoration will start in August, there are zoning notices posted on the outside of the Uptown now, which is a good sign.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
https://news.wttw.com/2019/02/07/mis...-way-back-home

Glad the chandeliers have been preserved from the Uptown theatre, and apparently the guy plans on returning them back to the theatre when it's restored. Since he has made exact replicas for his own theatre in Barrington. Hopefully, the restoration will start in August, there are zoning notices posted on the outside of the Uptown now, which is a good sign.
That's great to hear. We got lucky on this one - for there to be people who recognized the value, had the means to properly restore them, and are happy to return them.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 7:32 PM

I know some of the smaller light fixtures have made there way into private collections. One of them I believe is now hanging in one of my past projects. So not everything is making it back to it's original home, but it would be nice if most of the displaced features get back to where they belong.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 PM
The City

318 N Carpenter, 7 story office, looks like financing is secured:

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2019...gets-35m-loan/

Chicago’s West Loop looking like one of the hottest hoods in the country right now

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 6:03 PM

Great find! Based on the rendering and the below grade parking component this looks like an absolute winner. A+

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
318 N Carpenter, 7 story office, looks like financing is secured:

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2019...gets-35m-loan/

Chicago’s West Loop looking like one of the hottest hoods in the country right now

Chicago | Fulton Market Google by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 6:33 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Great find! Based on the rendering and the below grade parking component this looks like an absolute winner. A+
Also a quote from the developer:

Quote:
The developer has not yet announced any tenants for the building, but Murphy is “already being bombarded by requests” by potential users, he said Friday.
“We almost have the entire building accounted for, which shows you what kind of market it’s been,” Murphy said.
This is precisely why the West Loop is doing well. Space needs are being distributed among more small, boutiquish buildings.

You aren’t seeing massive 750 ft office towers like in the Loop. If you did, the West Loop would build out far more slowly, plus these huge towers would turn into massive albatrosses overnight if demand suddenly changed.

The smaller buildings are more nimble and able to accommodate for changing times. Despite my love for skyscrapers, I really love how this hood is developing. Now we just need to do something about ground floor parking/blank walls in some of the residential projects and we will be all set!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
This is precisely why the West Loop is doing well. Space needs are being distributed among more small, boutiquish buildings.

You aren’t seeing massive 750 ft office towers like in the Loop. If you did, the West Loop would build out far more slowly, plus these huge towers would turn into massive albatrosses overnight if demand suddenly changed.

The smaller buildings are more nimble and able to accommodate for changing times. Despite my love for skyscrapers, I really love how this hood is developing. Now we just need to do something about ground floor parking/blank walls in some of the residential projects and we will be all set!
Totally agree! If they built only 1 or 2 towers, everyone would probably be accounted for. SO the way it's developed is actually pretty good in this way. Hopefully it continues. There was a story last week about a company from Silicon Valley with a small (12,000 sq ft or so) office in Chicago, but they expanded by multiple times that. They are going to be moving to near OPO. The article however mentioned they wanted to be in West Loop/Fulton Market area, but there was no space for them available. They went nearby to OPO instead.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 10:04 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Now we just need to do something about ground floor parking/blank walls in some of the residential projects and we will be all set!
This is not the problem you think it is. Hayden’s blank wall does truly suck, but the developers changed course (and architects) for the second phase and now plan to conceal the garage behind townhouses. Some of the other residential buildings from the 2000s also suck, but the new stuff is almost all great.

Most of the new residential buildings have either underground parking, very limited parking, or carefully designed podiums with active liner uses and interesting cladding systems.

The bigger issue in my mind is simply that developers feel they need parking to sell condos.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 10:41 PM

2150 W. Lawrence Avenue

Apols for the crummy pic but more of this please! First time in Lincoln Square / Ravenswood area in a couple years. The transformation between Lawrence and Clark is significant. The streetscape has made a huge difference on the pedestrian experience. I wasn't even aware of this project and had to look it up. We'll see how it turns out but we need to see more of these dense developments on the commercial corridors with all the 2 & 3 flat deconversions to single family lowering density throughout otherwise thriving areas of the city. I know the TOD corridors are helping but these 4-6 story buildings in non TOD areas do wonders to help keep density flat.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/4/30...awrence-avenue

Feb 9

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 12:50 AM
TL;DR

^ Dude, Lawrence is absolutely a TOD zone. The only part that falls outside of a TOD radius is by St Boniface cemetery. Even that gap in the middle at Leavitt (where 2150 sits) is actually in a TOD zone because any CTA entrance or exit counts as an origin point under the ordinance, and the Western stop has an exit to Lincoln.

src

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 3:01 AM

hilarious. i just went to isla pilipina for dinner last night coming from LSD saw the same building and stretch and thought the same. I have always loved the lincoln square /ravenswood area. That and ashland/belmont/roscoe area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development