HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 7:23 PM

It may not be anytime soon. They've just begun surcharging the roads/roundabout to the west and south of the warehouses, so it'll be many months before they're ready to even start leveling things there for the roads.

One of the buildings there by the warehouses houses the headquarters and visitors center for Catellus/ProLogis and I think Alexandria...don't know what their plans are for the future. But yes, all of that has to go before they can extend Mission Creek Park and Channel Street the rest of the way.

BOSA's next project after Radiance is Block 13 West, and I pretty sure they don't need to tear down the warehouses for that...they sit primarily on Block 12 and P2, with maybe a bit of overlap onto Block 11.

There's plenty of shovel-ready land ready there that isn't under active construction. Much of the area between UCSF and the channel is just being used as they move dirt around from other projects for now. Not too many construction sites in San Francisco that have the luxury of acres of parking for the workers and empty land to put trailers and other equipment on.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 8:36 PM
Only Mostly Dead

WildCowboy- do you know what is being done in the channel? Is it just normal dredging or is it related to some of the surrounding construction?

Also, do you mind if I ask how you know so much about Mission Bay? Are you directly involved with the projects (developer, government, UCSF, construction, etc) or simply a very-well-plugged-in neighbor? Either way, I appreciate all your insights!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 10:54 PM

I don't know what's going on in the channel...noticed the bridges go up and the barge crane come in the other day, but haven't taken a real close look. There is eventually supposed to be a pedestrian bridge across the channel where Fifth Street ends, but I don't think that's what this is...it doesn't seem to be in quite the right place and I don't think the south side landing area is ready for it to be put in.

I'm not directly involved in the projects...I just work at UCSF and walk around the area pretty frequently. I get most of my info by scouring the internet and watching what's going on around me. I attend some UCSF meetings on our own projects (and thus pick up a few tidbits on other happenings in the area), but that's about it.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 8:54 PM
BANNED

I couldn't help stealing this photo from POLA. To me, it captures what Mission Bay is becoming better than anything else I've seen.

Source: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=142978

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 10:46 PM

I took a post-holiday walk through my part of Mission Bay a couple of days ago before they battened down the hatches for this amazing storm.

- The barge crane in the channel is still there. When I walked by, there were some workers standing on the north side of the channel where a cut had been made into the bank and there was a fairly large diameter pipe inside the cut...whether it was coming or going I don't know. Looks like the barge crane is involved in that somehow, but seemed like overkill for the apparent size of the project.

- Two big cranes now working at 409/499 Illinois: One is hanging facade panels on 409, while the other is erecting the steel for 499...first two floors are done, and they're proceeding on 3&4.

- The lift has come down from the former Lowe building next to Old Navy HQ and they were just sealing the last of the gap with window panels when I walked by.

- The pile drivers on the lot next to the Lowe building have been pulled off to the side. Not sure what comes next and when. It looked like they were driving too many piles for testing, but not enough for production.

- Grading equipment has arrived and is doing some work on the block south of there (northeast corner of 3rd and 16th)...it looked to be shovel-ready before they arrived, so I'm not sure what they're going to be doing.

- Pile driver at Radiance Phase II is down, so they must finally be done there. Work continues on Phase I, but not much visible change from the outside.

- UCSF's cancer research building along 3rd is moving along...most of the exterior has been covered in the yellow exterior sheathing, with the black waterproofing pasted on part of it and the travertine stone facade at the base following close behind. UCSF also digging and laying piping for temporary utility plant in that area.

- Not much going on on the west side of MB South...the Alexandria folks still don't seem to be proceeding very quickly on their projects along Owens. They've finished piling the dirt up at the roundabout for surcharging, so now we wait for that to do its thing.

- 555 Mission Rock is moving along slowly...doing pours for the sheer walls and columns on the second floor.

- Bosa has quite the HQ operation set up along Channel...a number of trailers there from different subs, as well as the pieces of their two tower cranes from Radiance Phase I just sitting there...so I assume they'll be needed again pretty soon. They've also got quite a lot of steel beams...look like the I-beams used for piles, but they don't look long enough. They may be the remnants from piles already driven at their other projects, but I could be wrong.

- Lots of work still going on on the streets in the area...Owens extension, 4th street connecting UCSF to the channel, several of the east-west streets that will link 3rd and 4th streets...lots of utility work going on there for now.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 1:10 AM

Website for avalon 3 :

www.avalonatmissionbayiii.com

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 4:40 PM

This was posted at: http://www.socketsite.com/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 1:19 AM

Is there any action at the radiance 2 site? I know they have driven piles but are they just going to leave them there and not do anything for a while or will they begin construction now?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 9:54 PM

Earlier someone mentioned that "all" lots north of mission creek had pile driving going on. Does that include the lot to the left of arterra just to the north of edgewater? If so , What is it that is u/c there?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi123 View Post
Earlier someone mentioned that "all" lots north of mission creek had pile driving going on. Does that include the lot to the left of arterra just to the north of edgewater? If so , What is it that is u/c there?
The does include the lot to the left of Arterra, although by construction, all I've seen so far has been piledriving. I believe that they are either complete with that or nearing completion. These will be affordable condos called Mission Walk. I have not seen any renderings of the two developments, but here is the link: http://www.bridgehousing.com/default...,2,1,Documents

On the bottom, it says you can request to view renderings.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 10:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, January 11, 2008
Bosa still bullish, buys again in Mission Bay
San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen

Spencer Brown
“Moment of truth” approaches as Nat Bosa prepares to step up sales effort.
View Larger
Builder Bosa Development has bought another parcel in the burgeoning Mission Bay neighborhood, paying $13.5 million for a lot that has been approved for 270 residential units, according to Old Republic Title Co.

The lot, Parcel 5, is part of Bosa's plan to build 1,700 housing units in Mission Bay, a $1.7 billion bet that will eventually create a residential neighborhood amidst the rapidly growing biotech and University of California, San Francisco, research campus south of Mission Creek.

The parcel, sold by Pro Logis, is one of three lots along the park recently completed on the south side of Mission Creek.

The deal comes as Bosa has topped off the first 99-unit phase of the Radiance at Mission Bay and started construction on the second phase, which will have 317 units.

The first 99 units went on the market in April and just over 50 percent are in contract. Dennis Serraglio, Bosa's sales and marketing director, said most of the units went into contract in the first 60 days after the sales office opened. During the second half of 2007, Bosa sold an average of two units a month.

Serraglio said despite the national housing slowdown, and less than spectacular sales, Bosa has no intention of slowing its pace of development. He said the model units at the Radiance would be complete in March, giving prospective buyers a feel for the project's water views and amenities.

"We feel really good about it -- it's turning out better than we had imagined in terms of the proximity to water, the architecture and design," said Serraglio. "Some of the units we didn't think would have views are turning out to have super water views.

Bosa President Nat Bosa said the sales and marketing efforts would step up once the building's display units are complete and a move-in date is approaching.

"That is when the moment of truth will be known." said Bosa.

Bosa acknowledged that the subprime-fueled national real estate downturn has "put a cloud over everything," but he said San Francisco's healthy job growth and supply-constrained building environment make him cautiously optimistic.

"This is a learning curve in San Francisco -- I'm glad we went ahead with the little building first to work out the kinks," he said. "With all the negative news, people need some assurances that the world is not going to fall apart. We have a great site, a great product, and it's priced right."

Bosa units are larger than other new city developments -- an average of 1,350 square feet -- and are on the upper end of the price scale. Bosa said his construction costs are still rising; he said he would not be able to sell phase two of the Radiance for less than $1,000 a square foot.

"Otherwise we can't afford to build it," he said. "Those are the realities that we face."

jkdineen@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4971
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 3:16 AM

Cool! So if I understand correctly the parcel in between edgewater and park terrace and the parcel to the left of arterra is part of the same overall development called "mission walk"? BTW i managed to find some renderings on the architect's website :

http://www.lmsarch.com/indexf.html#

once you're there click on current and then 330/335 berry.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 6:09 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Bosa units are larger than other new city developments -- an average of 1,350 square feet -- and are on the upper end of the price scale. Bosa said his construction costs are still rising; he said he would not be able to sell phase two of the Radiance for less than $1,000 a square foot.

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ml?t=printable

so does this mean that radiance 2 units are an average of $1,350,000?!

thats a lot of money

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay420 View Post
so does this mean that radiance 2 units are an average of $1,350,000?!

thats a lot of money
Sounds like.

Then again, 1350 sq. ft. is actually quite large if the space is used well.

Lots of people in this country grew up in 3 bedroom, 2 bath homes that were about that size (myself included )

The more relevant figure is the $1,000/sq. ft. - which is a grip of cash, especially for that area (not downtown). Then again, there are going to be a lot of married couples both making well over $100, $150k each and that all of a sudden becomes 'attainable'.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 8:20 AM
BANNED

^^^The older among us grew up in 3 bedroom, 1 bath homes not larger than that.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 1:14 AM

- Crane has arrived for 1500 Owens. Seems like it took forever to get the foundation done, but it should start rising out of the ground soon.

- Work continues on 409/499 Illinois. Still hanging facade panels on 409, and windows are going in on the lower floors. This is a rush job...Fibrogen wants to be moving in by the end of the year, so they've been working six days a week on that building. Steel is nearly topped out on 499...mostly just the mechanical screening framing to go up on top.

- New piledriving on Alexandria's property next to the Gap building...I think it's the parking garage for that area. Test piles were driven quite some time ago, and it looks like we're starting production driving now.

- Barge crane is long gone from the channel. Looks like it was in fact just for excavating a short section of shoreline to install a large pipe of some sort.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 4:06 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the updates, WildCowboy. If you ever bring your camera along on one of your strolls through the neighborhood, we'd sure appreciate seeing the results on here.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 8:19 PM

Any new pics of Arterra, avalon III and 330/335 berry?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi123 View Post
Any new pics of Arterra, avalon III and 330/335 berry?
Well there is the Avalon III webcam...

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/?webPath=avalonbay/amb/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 9:00 PM

peanut gallery, I'll try to remember to bring my camera once in a while...I'm not really a big photo-taker.

Just a quick update today, as there are a couple of items of quasi-significance.

- Steel has started going up on 1500 Owens. Should be a nice view for anyone coming into Mission Bay on 280 if the edge of the freeway isn't too tall to impede visibility. I love watching steel frames go up...so much faster than concrete.

- All of the stone façade panels on 409 Illinois have been hung and the big crane is gone. Metal façade panels/window units are quickly filling the gaps.

- Piledriver is down at 335 Berry.

- Work on 555 Mission Rock has reached the third floor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development