HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 4:57 AM
BANNED

The first thing that popped in my head was that thing is terrible.

Just one more place to catch and sell to the drunken fans before and after the game.

Right behind the Harry Carry statue and all. Harry my have had a few in his day but I do not think he was a rum man.

Just a very sad addition.

photo by george

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 5:07 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelcago View Post
i can't believe that. what a disgrace. like there aren't enough bars and restaurants within puking distance of the field as there are now? now they go and continue the bastardization and corporate branding of what should, IMHO, remain a low-key stadium. I guess it would be ok to have that club, but why can't it just be named something like 'wrigley club' or 'caray club' -- something team or field specific? i get it that captain morgan is sponsoring this, but i just don't see the connection between a pirate and the cubs.

first there's the bud light bleachers, now this. can't wait to see what's in store next. what a shame.
My problem isn't so much with the name of it even though it is indeed tacky. Most here much more eloquent then myself can pick it apart but it should offend even the most casual observers eye even if it is not suppose to be a permanent structure. If this is sensitivity the ballpark then I am damn glad the Tribune is out in the door before any eventual rehabbing of the actual ballpark, what does disturb is that I am guessing the new prospective owner was consulted and actually signed of on this.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 6:41 AM
BANNED

This is the type of boo-ya, uuggah-uuggah, yahoo crap that makes me hate myself for being a cub fan, I wish I couldn't be but I can't can't be

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 6:10 PM
Registered

Is it temporary? If so, that would be the reason it slid past Landmarks.

Or did that Landmarking not ever happen? I have to admit, I've been too distracted to follow it.

______
(Edit: It's weird, but the second paragraph of my original post did not appear in the actual post until I went back to edit it.)

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Last edited by honte; Apr 11, 2009 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 7:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Right behind the Harry Carry statue and all. Harry my have had a few in his day but I do not think he was a rum man.
in fact, if the television advertising of the 1980s can believed, harry caray was not only a "cubs fan", he was also a "bud man".

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 2:26 AM

I was over by Wrigley today. This Captain Rum thing ... you don't really notice it. That creepy Carey Ascending from the Flames sculpture is way more disturbing, really.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 2:58 AM

I'd been watching that thing take shape over the past few weeks as the Addison station is my local el stop, but I had no clue what it was that they were building. I guess I could have asked here, but for some reason I never thought about it other than when I was standing on the el platform looking at the evolving structure taking shape. So it's a bar? I never go out drinking in Wrigleyville anyway, so it doesn't mean much to me. I was surprised how quickly they built it though.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 7:08 AM
BANNED

i just spent the last three days in wrigley (best waste of money, ever.), and the captain morgan thing is actually pretty nice. it's unnoticeable, and fits in well with everything else. why does everything not like it?

what freaks me out is this:

that'll absolutely destroy wrigleyville. and what's with the damn trees? even NARROWER side walks? trees have no place on that stretch of clark. and neither does a MASSIVE 9 story mega-plex. what's the news on this? is the city going to allow this?

and what's the news on the new building planned for the parking lot next door ...with the new facilities and team parking and such?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 9:06 AM
Accountz Payabo

Yeah, somehow I don't think one block can destroy Wrigleyville. Anyway, I'm not sure what the problem with this bar is. When you think Cubs you think bars anyway, what's one more right in the stadium?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 8:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Yeah, somehow I don't think one block can destroy Wrigleyville. Anyway, I'm not sure what the problem with this bar is. When you think Cubs you think bars anyway, what's one more right in the stadium?
wrigleyville is almost entirely that block. clark, from addison to newport.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 1:03 PM

Gotta agree with AXS on this one. From the rendering it looks like the develpment is intentionally pushing pedestrian to the other sidewalks. the trees look like barriers. I imagine that once folks are actually living in the units, they will be complaing about all the traffic and people on THEIR sidewalks. And of course "what about the children?"

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 1:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

That;s bull. This rendering looks like a step up from SketchUp. WE don;t even know if those trees are actually planned. It's like seeing a rendering that has 'store' signs or 'bank' and getting all pissed off that their planning on having a bank in he development. You are just speculating. To suggest that their intention is to push people of "their" sidewalk is premature and frankly a bit batty.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 6:24 PM
Accountz Payabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
So the area around Bernie's and to the west is...

I know the borders for Wrigleyville are very vague, but I can't help but to think it also goes north, west, and east of the park, too. Not just south...for one block.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 9:45 PM

Quote:
That development barely goes to Eddy, 3 streets north of Newport. And Wrigleyville definitely goes all the way down to Roscoe and up to Grace. Casey Moran's, The Full Shilling, Murphy's Bleachers, The Blarney Stone, and many others, including "Rockit Wrigleyville" are north of that block.

Besides, there isn't much on that block except a parking lot, a 7-11, a Starbucks, and the Salt and Pepper. Bar Louie and the sketchy memorabilia joint are being saved. I live 2 blocks away, and the area could use a hotel, and something definitely needs to be done about those almost always empty parking lots.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 12:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
That development barely goes to Eddy, 3 streets north of Newport. And Wrigleyville definitely goes all the way down to Roscoe and up to Grace. Casey Moran's, The Full Shilling, Murphy's Bleachers, The Blarney Stone, and many others, including "Rockit Wrigleyville" are north of that block.

Besides, there isn't much on that block except a parking lot, a 7-11, a Starbucks, and the Salt and Pepper. Bar Louie and the sketchy memorabilia joint are being saved. I live 2 blocks away, and the area could use a hotel, and something definitely needs to be done about those almost always empty parking lots.
yeah... let's all split hairs as to where wrigleyville starts and ends.

this development has NO place on clark street.
can anyone really tell me they'd like to see from here, to here ERASED with some brand new bs?
and since when does wrigleyville need a hotel and MORE condos? i'm all for replacing the 7-11 and the empty lots with 1-3 story building, but a 9-story MEGA PLEX? this is just awful, and has no place in the community.

also, the starbucks isn't just some crappy building.
it's an original piece of chicago

...this isn't a part of chicago that is in need of new development. and besides, if the developer wants his huge project, why isn't the lot of 7-11 down to the starbucks big enough?

and btw, i too live in the neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 1:33 AM
BANNED

I think the damn development should be even larger, taller and more intense as long as they don't have those 520 paking spots

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 5:36 AM
Accountz Payabo

Quote:
When you say a neighborhood consists of one block in an effort to dramatize your opinion, expect it to be shot down. FYI for the future, I guess.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 10:26 AM
The Moon Rulez! #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelcago View Post
i can't believe that. what a disgrace. like there aren't enough bars and restaurants within puking distance of the field as there are now? now they go and continue the bastardization and corporate branding of what should, IMHO, remain a low-key stadium. I guess it would be ok to have that club, but why can't it just be named something like 'wrigley club' or 'caray club' -- something team or field specific? i get it that captain morgan is sponsoring this, but i just don't see the connection between a pirate and the cubs.

first there's the bud light bleachers, now this. can't wait to see what's in store next. what a shame.
If people don't want the park renamed, this is the way ownership is going to increase revenue. Yankee Stadium is still called Yankee Stadium, but every seat; cup holder and fixture within the park has a corporate logo slapped on it.

Get used to it.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 10:40 AM
The Moon Rulez! #1

Quote:

can anyone really tell me they'd like to see from here, to here ERASED with some brand new bs?
and since when does wrigleyville need a hotel and MORE condos? i'm all for replacing the 7-11 and the empty lots with 1-3 story building, but a 9-story MEGA PLEX? this is just awful, and has no place in the community.

...this isn't a part of chicago that is in need of new development. and besides, if the developer wants his huge project, why isn't the lot of 7-11 down to the starbucks big enough?

If they tear down Mullens I'll be extremely pissed...

And if they can tear down The sports corner, or the Budwieser Building in left field (which will take place after this season for a 4 story condo/rooftop), both of which are/were original Lakeview buildings the Starbucks will likely go the way of the Dodo...

I'd like to see some low rise commercial on the South side of Addison, a couple of restaurants and Cafe's would be nice. Sprinkle in a bar or two and it would be perfect.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 3:12 PM

Quote:

Not much besides the Starbucks building that's up for demolition is really worth a second thought and the displaced bars are being offered leases in the new building. That wedge of land is badly under utilized. I also believe the residental has been switched to rental from condo.

Getting this kind of dense multi-use project within spitting distance of the Red Line is exactly the kind of stuff the city should be supporting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development