HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 6:00 PM

Happened to walk by the U of W's new fieldhouse, the United Health and Recplex, today... it's coming along very nicely. It really helps to make the U of W feel like a proper campus, as opposed to the rundown houses, etc. that used to stand on the west side of Spence Street. The only downside is that the fieldhouse presents a bit of a blank wall to the east which has a bit of a deadening effect, but I don't suppose that there's an easy way around that when you're dealing with a building of that nature (although the Duckworth Centre does to some extent with a gym facing out onto Spence, along with what was once SOMA Cafe).

(I still think that the U of W should have squeezed United Airlines for a donation since that's what I think of whenever I hear the name of the place)

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 6:11 PM

Nice find on the thread. I didn't know it even existed.

The campus is always expanding, renovating, involved in so much research, always creating new opportunities for students. Should be popular with the demographic base on the forum and construction related topics.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 10:52 PM

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 1:29 PM

Quoted from Wpg. Construction

Although not an actual campus development per se, it is geared toward students attending the U of M and alleviating housing/rental issues in the area for students..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Proposed 14 story student apartment block on Pembina near the University:

http://janicelukes.ca/ward-prioritie...ts-on-pembina/

Quote:
The 14-storey unit contains just over 600 beds and will have over 500 parking spots for bicycles. The unit will alleviate some of the pressure to convert single family dwellings in the Fort Richmond and University Heights communities into illegal rental properties.
Source:

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 3:26 PM

'bout time the strip across from the university on Pembina gets classed-up a bit. you would never know that one of the largest universities in the country is hiding across the street judging by all the low-rise strip malls and underdeveloped lots around there. that's one thing i've noticed about Winnipeg's major educational institutions. they are all very inward focused and self-contained. compared to U of Ottawa, Ryerson, etc. anyway.. even U of Alberta spills into its surrounding neighbourhood and animates the streets nicely. u of Winnipeg is trying but still doesn't seem to quite do the trick.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 3:36 PM

^ The new land use plan for UM should help to better integrate the campus with the surrounding area. It'll also help to undo the catastrophically bad layout of SmartPark... I don't know what they were thinking when that mess was approved.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The new land use plan for UM should help to better integrate the campus with the surrounding area. It'll also help to undo the catastrophically bad layout of SmartPark... I don't know what they were thinking when that mess was approved.
Is Smartpark the group of lowrise office buildings to the south of Chancellor Drive just as you enter the university?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 3:12 PM

Before the SmartPark, and the soccer complex, and IGF, there was a huge void between the U of M campus proper and Pembina. That is partly why it doesn't really spill over into surrounding areas. To get from the main area of campus where students are to Pembina is a further walk that from Portage and Main to U of W. The SmartPark was meant to try and fill in some of that gap while providing smart up and research opportunities to U of M students.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Is Smartpark the group of lowrise office buildings to the south of Chancellor Drive just as you enter the university?
Yes. 90s office park planning at its worst.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 4:03 PM

ya they should have thrown up a couple cul-de-sacs of stucco, garage-fronted houses and it would be real suburban wonderland around there. considering the amount of office tenants this "park" sucked out of downtown makes it even worse.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan